India Sweets and Spices

9409 Venice Blvd (at Bagley), Culver City, California, USA, 90232

Grocer store and casual vegetarian Indian restaurant with a couple tables outside for sitting. Most dishes spicy. Note: Kitchen may be used for non-veg catering. Open Mon 9:00am-10:00pm, Tue-Sun 10:00am-9:30pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by heatherveganmom

TaraKellyFerguson

Points +98

Vegetarian
24 Oct 2019

🌈

Really good samosas! Friendly staff :)

Crito

Points +315

09 Apr 2019

Great Vegan Indian Fast Food and Grocery

The reviews on the place are pretty dated, so I hope its helpful to add a new one. I absolutely love this place for a quick Indian vegan lunch.

Only a few hot bar options available as combo platters, but the food has a family homemade kind of feel and its always delicious and spicy.

The food is all vegan or vegetarian, so its good that you don't have to worry about meat, but if you're plant-based like me, just keep an eye out for the non-vegan goat cheese (paneer). I've tried all their dishes and they are GREAT.

Love the channa masala, the vegan mock-chicken, potato and eggplant and daal.

The chapati (flatbread) is great for dipping into what's left on the dish after quickly devouring it all.

Great price to quality ratio here. I'd highly recommend getting the 3 item combo for your first trip to try a variety and figure out the best go-to dish for your next trip there which will definitely happen, because this place is thoroughly addicting.

The seating is limited, but outdoor options and I've never seen it too busy where you can't find a spot. Not the prettiest dining area, but this is a place for quality Indian food, not ascetics.

The grocery options are great for anyone looking for Indian spices, snacks, sweets, etc. that most grocery stores do not carry. I've seen dried spices here that I've never heard of in my life (not that I'm a know-it-all...far from).

Pros: Great flavors, Price

Cons: A little cramped and old

procrastinasian

Points +268

03 Dec 2008

Great samosas!

I used to regularly walk a mile and a half to India Sweets and Spices just to buy a couple of samosas and eat them on the way home. They're delicious! I've been told that the samosas are vegan. It's also a great place to buy various ingredients, spices, prepared sauces, etc. I occasionally get some of their other dishes, but often find them heavy or overly spiced. It is definitely a good value, though. I noticed that they spray painted over "and Spices" a few months ago - maybe it is just India Sweets now? In any case, the place tends to be a bit dirty and hole-in-the-wallish, but they're in the middle of renovating it right now, so I have hopes that it will become a little nicer. The staff can be extremely rude, as noted in other reviews. I find it kind of funny and charming, though, and I honestly think it gives the place character. As far as I know, none of the desserts are vegan.

Pros: Samosas are delicious, Good little store, Good value

Cons: Rude , Not the cleanest place

maliciouskami

Points +188

09 Jan 2008

A Hidden Treasure

We were in the area to see the Jurassic Technology museum and stopped in for some Indian grocery after eating at the Hare Krishna temple a few buildings down. Sweets and Spices made all authentic fast-foods in the kitchen and at very affordable prices. I noticed a lot of reviews complained about bad service. I had my Indian boyfriend with me, so that may have helped. He did complain that they had an older lady working the register that didn't speak English well. Try to get one of the younger clerks to help out as we did. She even went so far as to give me their personal coconut chutney recipe as they had none pre-packaged that I could take on my flight. We got a lot of goodies that we had trouble finding in NYC, let alone in the college town we're from.

At least two of the ladoo (sweets) were vegan--verify with the staff (check for ghee, butter, milk, buttermilk, yogurt). We also got panipuri, as that's impossible to find anywhere in America it seems. Somehow, though, we only got 6, when their menu was selling them at 50ct to 100ct. The corriander chutney was way too spicy for me, but everything else was just fine.

Be sure to check the menu posted high up on the wall instead of just what's displayed in the counter--they offer much more than samosas and vada.

The shop itself sells a lot of unique Indian grocery that I've never come across before (and I've hit up a lot of them). I was really excited about this place, and I'll certainly come again! If you stop by, be sure to check out the Hare Krishna temple for luch, the museum, or their extensive Indian supply shop. There is also an Indian video rental and clothing store next door.

Pros: Authentic, Offers hard-to-find items, Great location

Cons: Crowded, Some of the staff not so friendly, Not healthy

rawvegvegan

Points +20

15 Dec 2007

Food's good but the service sucks

I have been here a few times and I always get rice and the yogurt curry. I really like it but I am turned off by the way they treat you in there. I don't care how good the food is, I am not giving my money over to people who run a business like that.

Pros: easy to get to, good food, vegetarian

Cons: bad customer service, too small and crowded

heatherveganmom

Points +55

25 May 2007

average if you are desperate

the food is OK if there is nothing else. it is a bit dirty in there and service not very friendly. i do not trust what they say has no dairy in it. i have found they were wrong before.

Pros: vegetarian

Cons: average food, not nice in there to sit, dirty

Return to Culver City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has India Sweets and Spices closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2004 times.