CLOSED: India Chaat House

Contact 503-241-7944

804 SW 12th Ave (at SW Yamhill St, Downtown), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97205

Orange color food truck with some seating. Serves vegetarian Indian food including basmati rice dishes, snack/chaat food, vegetable dishes, tandoori breads, drinks. Chai with soymilk (when available) for extra 50 cents. Daily special plate costs around $5. Some vegetarian items can be made vegan upon request. Vegans to specify. Note: this truck is stationed right next to the Bombay Chaat House, which is also a Indian vegetarian food cart that is operated by a former partner to the previous owner of this cart. APR 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Mon-Sat 11:00am-7:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by prezeliz

Ridiculously Tasty - Edit

Note: Bombay Chaat House and India Chaat House merged again. The food is soooo delicious and though it does take a while, the staff is very friendly and authentic and the food is always steaming and flavorful.

I've gotten a couple of things there, and it was all wonderful, but the last time I went, I was still vegetarian, not vegan. I'm sure that they have some vegan options or could make some adjustments to accommodate a vegan customer, but the staff doesn't speak English very well, so it might be difficult to ask. I'm sure they get that kind of question a lot though, and would be totally willing to help. They're really great.

It's kind of out of the way, not with the rest of the food carts at all, but definitely worth the walk and definitely worth the wait.

Pros: huge, steamy meals, amazing staff, very authentic

Cons: hard to find, not much seating, long wait

Food Cart - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and came here on a past trip to Portland, Oregon. Here's my India Chaat House review.

This is a food cart, not a restaurant. On my visit, the man in the truck was friendly towards me, but he made me wait for my tandoori garlic naan for a long time. The garlic naan was alright at first but got dry after it cooled and sat for a while.

Most other people opted for the cheap lunch combo special that looked okay, but not everything included was vegan.

I had also asked for a chai tea with soymilk but they did not have soymilk in stock at the time. Bummer.

Not the same - Edit

This was once absolutely, hands down, the best place for Indian food in Portland. However, it is now under new ownership and it's only so-so. Ate their once under the new ownership and would not go out of my way to go back. Very disappointed.

Cons: small portions, bland

No House, Just a Truck - Edit

I give these guys 3 Happy Cows; my curry-obsessed husband gives them 5. The good: cheap, huge portions, authentic, extensive menu. The bad: crowded, dirty, a little bland. If you're crazy for Indian food, go. Otherwise, maybe not.

Pros: Great value

Cons: Dirty, crowded

i LOVE chaat house! - Edit

this food is incredibly cheap and delicious. the naan is pillowy and hot, just gorgeous, and vegan! i disagree with the reviewer who said there are not many vegan options - only a few menu items have cheese or cream and the owner has always been happy to replace any non-vegan items in the lunch special for me.

lunch special is only $5 for a huge amount of rice, veggies/lentils and naan, a really fantastic deal. i love the samosas and the aloo saag. the family who runs this cart is so generous and friendly and i am really grateful for their business!

Pros: lunch special, cheap, lots of vegan variety

Cons: small operation=occasional wait for food, no indoor seating (cold in winter!)

Try the vegan coconut mango drink! - Edit

The vegan coconut mango drink is delicious. It is hard to have just one. The food is good but not great and there are not that many vegan options. Sometimes the lunch special is vegan and that is very good value for $5.00. I go just for the vegan coconut mango drink and some samosas.

Pros: Some vegan options, Vegan coconut mango drink

Cons: Not vegan, Not enough vegan options

Perhaps the best Indian Food in Portland? - Edit

We've tried other Indian restaurants, but the one time I came here I think I had the best I've had in Portland. A $5 lunch had lots of variety, and was too much food to eat for lunch! An amazing deal.

Pros: great food, great variety, great value

Cons: it's just a truck, not very much seating

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: India Chaat House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2333 times since Aug 2007.