CLOSED: Illa de Gracia

Contact 932380229

Carrer Sant Doménec 19, Barcelona, Spain,

Extensive vegetarian menu (ovo, lacto). At Illa de Gracia, a 2-course meal for two with drinks and dessert costs around 30 euros. Lunch menu is around 7-9 euros. No smoking. JULY 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. REPLACED BY CAFE GODOT.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Western, Spanish

First Review by kyvegan

Disappointing - Edit

Sleek looking place but the vegan options are very very bland...Looks like this restaurant risks being left behind in Barcelona's emerging vegan restaurant scene...don't bother traipsing out here, there are much better options.

lovely - Edit

Location: easy to find
Service: not bad given that there were only 2 waiters for the entire place. Food came out fairly quickyl once your order was taken.
Food: Salad, crepes and starters all were tasty
The seconds are rather small and simple but still tasty.
Dessert was yummy.

Went there twice and enjoyed both times.

Try other places first - Edit

The "menu del dia" is usually disappointing and in smaller portions, so its better to chose directly from the menu. Few vegan options, and those few not so inviting. It's not so expensive but you can find better and cheaper places around the same area. The vegetarian menu is good, if you are living in Barcelona you should give it a try, but not if you're in a quick visit. The place is usually crowded and staff is neither kind nor unkind.

Pros: Some vegetarian tasty courses

Cons: Crowded, Vegan UNfriendly, Bad menu del día

not for vegan - Edit

great location, cool restaurant, nice people, but was not impressed with food. Vegan choices were too few. My starter (tropical salad) was iceberg lettuce, 2 quarters of a tomatoe, 3 slices cucumbers, some corn and a few small cubes of mango. Was not offered any dressing (there were oil and vinegar on the table). My main course had a fancy name on the menu but was composed of separate piles of plain raw grated carrots, plain corn and tofu around a small mount of plain brown rice. No sauce, no spices, no decoration, no nothing else. Pretty bland and expensive for what it was. Maybe the vegetarian choices were better. The chef obviously does not know how to cook without animal products. Too bad. Maybe the chef could learn how to make a few exciting dishes for those of us vegans. My vegetarian husband had a 'mushroom tortilla' who turned out to be a tiny omelette in the middle of an otherwise empty plate. He was starving! We were so hungry that we ordered deserts, which were ok. Nice try but need a lot of improvement.

Pros: great location, cool place, nice people

Cons: unimaginative, bland (no spice, no sauce, etc.), terrible vegan menu

Elegant dining - Edit

This was my first visit to Illa de Gracia and I was impressed. My partner and I had dinner on a Wednesday night just after it opened at 9pm; the restaurant was already busy but we were quickly seated and offered a menu. The Spanish menu is fairly easy to decipher but ask for the English version if you need it.

The focus is on salads, pasta and seitan dishes. We each had a delicious salad to start followed by the plato combinado with seitan for me and the tofu a la plancha with rice for my partner. Everything was very fresh and nicely presented although needing a little extra seasoning (soy sauce was provided along with the usual condiments). We skipped dessert but had coffee. The two servers were quick, polite and attentive.

Illa de Gracia is a cut above most of the other vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Barcelona - a bit more expensive, but worth it. Make sure you venture out of the city centre at least once to eat here.

Pros: Ambience, Great food, Helpful staff

Probably the best place for a vegan to eat lunch - Edit

After visiting most of Barcelona's vegan friendly restaurants I was relived to finally make it to Illa De Gracia. From my limited experience it is CLEARLY the best place for a vegan to eat in Barcelona. You can ask for the English Menu, but the Spanish Menu is pretty easy to decode and there is a "V" next to the vegan dishes. I love super healthy food and the cereal grain dish was amazing, it contains brown rice, legumes, carrots, all steamed and no oil. The restaurant is very nice and fresh inside! You will not be disappointed!

Pros: healthy food, nice place

Large Menu, Tasty Food, Small Portions - Edit

The restaurant was relatively easy to find, but we had a local and a map with us so not too much of a hassle. I'm in two minds about the place, but here are my thoughts:

1 Ambience is non-existent, and the atmosphere was relatively cold. It screamed of being a place where pretentious middle class people come to, simply because it seems to be the "in" place to eat. They could do so much more with the decor, while lovely in it's simplicity, that desperately needs a "warm touch".

2. Service - I'll keep it short: it was dismal. The staff were rushed, even though we were the first table there; and not particularly congenial - not a single smile, no more than a few words were spoken, nor at any stage did they ooze warmth and hospitality.

3. The food, however, was a different story, thankfully. A fabulous selection, excellent combinations of flavours, and a lovely taste experience overall. However, the portions are rather small, and for the price, that was a bit disappointing. Dessert was nothing to rave about, so I'm not even going to bother.

Overall, not a bad experience, but I wouldn't recommend it as a must. Go there if you are not fussed about the service or the price, and want to have a tasty meal. Otherwise, there are tons of other lovely places in the city to try out.

Pros: Tasty food, Excellent variety

Cons: Small portions, Relatively pricey, but not expensive, Unfriendly rushed staff

Ask for the secret vegan menu! - Edit

This restaurant was a bit tricky to find (there is a similarly named street a few blocks away with no connection to this one) but well worth it! I had a bit of trouble expressing my dietary needs (vegan) to the waitress (my fault: I don't speak Spanish or Catalan) but after much patience on her part I wound up with a tasty (but simple)seitan dish. When desert time rolled around, she brought out a well worn, no-frills, computer print out menu that was in English and had all of the vegan dishes marked as well as dishes that could be made vegan via substitution. I definitely recommend asking for this upfront as it saves a lot of time. Portions were small-ish but sufficiently filling. Vegan deserts included a number of sorbets and compotes. Definitely worth a stop, but I wouldn't put this on my list of Barcelona musts if your time there is limited. Try Vegetalia or Amaltea instead! (side note: my friend had the veggie burger but it turned out to just be a patty on a plate with a couple of vegetables, not the hearty bun-and-fixings that she'd anticipated. maybe this is a naive american mistake, but be aware that this is no-frills dining)

Pros: sufficient vegan options, helpful staff, secret menu for e-z order

Cons: smaller portions, uncreative menu choices

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Illa de Gracia closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 615 times since Aug 2007.