First Review by nicolo96

Decent, inexpensice Chinese restaurant - Edit

Before going to this restaurant I saw the menu and the prices are so low that I was worried it would be bad. The plain rice (nice portion) is 1.8€, and the most expensive veg option is about 4€, with most veg options between 2.5€ and 3€.
As I was worried I checked the comments on another website, and some comments said that it was dirty, and others that the food was "heavy".
Well, concerning the cleanliness, everything was clean from the plates to the floor or the toilet, except for the menus. Obviously some previous customers had used them with sticky hands. I don't know if I could complain about the staff not cleaning menus but yes that gave a little bad impression. Quickly dissipated as the first things I ordered arrived very soon. The (Chinese) staff is extremely quick at taking orders and bringing them.
Concerning "heavy" food, there was nothing wrong in any of the 6 courses I ordered (for a grand total around 21€ including a large Chinese beer that was 3.2€, same price as for half the amount of Italian bear at most bars, nice price for a dinner), but I was with a meat-eater who told me the meat was "heavy". So that's probably the main reason why this restaurant gets not so good reviews from meat eaters.
It didn't bother me but bothered people at 3 other tables, street vendors get in during lunch to sell junk. I wish the staff would kick them out before the vendors can start annoying customers. Especially since many customers are foreign tourists who don't know how to get rid of the
I think they offer all-you-can-eat for 15€ at lunch, same as the Japanese restaurant (also held by Chineses) Harusaki, about 200 meters away.
To get back to the food, there's a nice diversity of vegan options available. It's not fancy but I still had a very good evening with my partner.
I did finish with a negative note because my dessert was something I had had before in Japan and it really didn't stand the comparison. It wasn't bad at all, just very plain.
But my partner finished with a good dessert (after under par meat...) so overall everything was OK. It's a very good value for your euros, just don't have excessive expectations.

Pros: price, many veg options, quickly seved

Cons: street vendors, a bit plain (some dishes), dirty menus

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Il Cigno closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1102 times since May 2013.