First Review by Lea

healthy wholefoods takeaway - Edit

really impressed with the food and options. completely vegan only downside is that they only offer disposable takeaway serves rather than reusable dine in options.

Pros: all vegan options

Cons: disposable serving

Why dont cows come in halves... - Edit

I visited Iku at MLC half an hour before closing, so I didn't expect too many options but I was greeted by a fair amount of cold and hot food options. On top of this I had no idea what I wanted, the lovely woman behind the counter was so helpful in my indecisiveness and pointed me to some low fat alternatives (without me asking...). I ended up with the rice ball, tofu pocket, an assortment of salad (large) and a pineapple and mint juice which set me back roughly $25. I really liked the rice ball and tofu pocket (as a snack option). I tried to mix the chilli sauce with the salad, a word of advice... don't; resist the hot sauce urge. The soy based sauce she gave to me was really good! The juice was delicious, I only wish it was bigger...

Next time I go back I'll definitely try the hot food. It was a tad expensive but I don't mind paying the extra cost for a vegan option in such a busy food court.

If I could I'd give it 3.5/5.

Pros: Friendly staff, Vegan in a food court, Lots of choices

Cons: Salad/snack a bit bland, Tad expensive

Great vegan takeaway - Edit

I eat here several days of the week and have thus tried most of the menu (and loved it!). The casseroles, rice paper rolls, barley miso soup and salads are great, as are the special pies and lasagne. Their website has a list of the majority of their dishes, and their ingredients and nutritional value for those who are counting their calories. Many of the casseroles, miso soups and salad dishes are low fat and high in protein. Although it's more expensive than many other takeaway places (especially breakfast - $7.50 for a cup of muesli), I've never been charged for chilli or soy sauces, as they are free (not sure why a previous reviewer was charged?).

Pros: Delicious, Convenient, Healthy and 100% vegan!

Cons: Expensive, Too much sodium in many of their dishes

mad house during lunch - Edit

This location happened to be right across from our hotel, but I wish it wasn't our first experience with Iku. The food court here was like being in the wild as a stampede of wild animals rushes to a watering hole. The lines are hurried and insane, people shout their orders, cash and food fly at lightening speed, despite the small counter nearly four people work behind it to deliver vegan food to the wild mobs at break neck speeds. We requested their ingredient menu and where run over by 100s of people pushing savagely toward the glass case of food. The macro burger must be good because it was ordered endlessly. We opted for the only healthy item on the menu, the minestrone & brown rice. It was really good, but I suspect the onions are sauteed in oil before going into the soup or the tomato sauce is infected because despite oil not being listed in the ingredients there were tiny bubbles throughout. Iku touts itself as a healthy whole food destination, but the entire line of food is either fried, coated, or injected with fat. There is absolutely nothing I'd eat there other than a heap of brown rice.

Pros: brown rice

Cons: everything is oily, falsely market at health food, too much fried food

Great vegan lunch takeaway - Edit

This review applies to all the Iku's, as the food is made centrally somewhere and delivered to the franchises in plastic bags. Having said that, the food is mostly great although a bit more expensive than your average lunch takeaway. I do seriously object to paying $1.50 for a teaspoon of chilli sauce - everywhere else gives you complimentary chilli sauce. And sadly, my beloved macro burgers have gone really down hill at the MLC outlet - they now make them up in the morning and they are stale and soggy by lunchtime. This comment may not apply at other outlets. Still love the salads, muffins, other cakes and deep fried snacks and some of the hot foods. The food is definitely not low fat - your brown bag is sometimes transparent with grease when you get it home, so it's not something to have every day. Don't be put off by the queues, as they always move quickly.

Pros: everything is whole grain, Great desserts, 100% vegan

Cons: High fat, $1.50 for chilli on your burger!!!!!, Burgers are stale at MLC

Kendall Hi, I'm the owner of the Iku Wholefood at the MLC Centre. Thanks for your comments Lea. Just an update - none of the 10 Iku outlets charge for sauces with a meal anymore. Extra sauces will incur a small extra charge due to the high cost of hand producing them, just like you'd pay extra for tomato, tartare, or soy sauce at most other take aways. Also, please give our burgers another go :) They are made up 15 - 30 minutes in advance of the lunch time rush, otherwise there is just no way we'd be able to serve all the customers efficiently. We are so excited to be able to offer our food to so many City workers, and thank everyone for their patience when waiting in the queue at our tiny little shop! Although as Lea said, the queues do move really quickly thanks to our great staff. I also own the new-ish Iku at Chifley Plaza, a great food court - so make your way up there for much shorter queues! And just a on note on the fat content ... the tofu fritters, rice balls, and muffins do have a higher fat content than any of our other foods, but are made with high quality oils and are still very much better for you than alternative fried takeaway foods. Plus there are SO MANY other very low fat and gluten free options on our menu. Thanks and see you soon!

Return to Sydney Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Iku Wholefoods Kitchen - Martin Place closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4438 times since Aug 2007.