First Review by khity

Good laksa - Edit

I had a laksa here on a cold night when I was coming down with a cold, and it was just what I needed. It's not the nicest place to sit, but it's great for a quick, tasty and nutritious meal.

Pros: Healthy and tasty options

Cons: Not really an eat-in restaurant

Iku Wholefoods: why are you not in Melbourne? - Edit

After a recommendation from the staff at The Cruelty Free Store, we headed to Iku for lunch. Wow. So many fresh, healthy, affordable options. I was overwhelmed so we got a lot of stuff…lasagne, frittata, tofu pockets, rice balls.
We ate it all out the back in the little courtyard downstairs and was well and truly satisfied. The food is really fresh and tasty. A great place for a light lunch when you want lots of healthy, clean options.

Pros: Everything is vegan, Healthy and tasty, Easy

Eat here, it's great! - Edit

Iku in Glebe is great. I love the little courtyard and the general ambience of Glebe Pt Rd. Try the macro-burger which is awesome, so is the laksa and pretty much everything I have tried I must say! It's healthy, affordable and delicious.

Pros: love the food, cute place, healthy and affordable

delicious food!! - Edit

Great food selections. I have been eating here for years. Thoroughly recommend it.

I really wish they would open up a larger more accessible outlet in King St though. Seems odd that the highest concentration of Vegetarians/Vegans in Sydney are ignored by Iku.

Pros: great food, healthy, wide range

Cons: small shop, mainly take away only (although there is some benc, no outlet in Newtown!

Being vegan in Sydney can be okay sometimes - Edit

I won't leave separate reviews for each Iku store, even though I've probably been to every one of them. I lived in Sydney on and off for years and cooking was often a problem because we had one small kitchen for 8 housemates, so I ate at restaurants a lot. I've eaten mostly everything at Iku, and many dishes I've eaten repeatedly. I've probably been to their restaurants a hundred times, perhaps more. Here are my top recommendations and things I wouldn't recommend at this cool place:

-Vanilla-sesame fudge tart: better with the carob jelly topping peeled off, I find. Creamy and excellent
-Rice Ball: little bit greasy, but the flavour is great
-Musubi: one of my favourite items, but they're stingy with the umeboshi paste
-Rice paper roll: bit heavy on the noodles, maybe even too much, but sill tasty
-Tofu fritter: crispy and herbaceous
-Green leafy salad with dressing: amazing dressing!
-Pretty much any of the salads: fresh and so flavourful
-Friands: like mud cake, but vegan. Expensive for the tiny size, but worth it
-Marabba: so damn delicious! It seems like they put less pistachio in it now than they used to, but it still tastes really good
-Raspberry muffin: I've had all of them and I was often over the taste before I'd gotten to the end of the muffin, but they're pretty good and the raspberry one is especially good
-Vegetable and hummous tart: at first I didn't know what I thought of this because it's a whole lot of hummous topped with the vegetables, so not really a tart per se, but the hummous is well made and the sesame crust is crispy and yummy
-Aduki, pumpkin and ginger pie: this is so homestyle and wholesome tasting
-Macro burger: hearty, flavourful, and saucy
-Caramelised onion tart: kind of an unusual texture, but it's richly flavoured

Things I wouldn't recommend:
-Lasagnes: I'm conflicted here. The white miso topping is soooo great, but in the eggplant lasagne, the eggplant never seems to be cooked properly, staying unpalatably firm. It's the same problem with the other lasagne's pumpkin
-Polenta slice: something just not right about this. Cold, garlicky, bland
-Bancha slice: I really hated this. So much dried fruit and zestiness...if you like fruit cake a lot, maybe give it a try, but otherwise, I'd steer clear
-Soups and stews: grey area. I didn't have a really great one ever, but then again, I mostly went for the more filling items, so I didn't give soups as many chances
-Porridge: too much maple syrup. Gave me a blood sugar crash each time

Pros: Staff usually quite friendly and helpful, All vegan, and many choices, Takeaway available

Cons: Can be a little pricey at times, Some say quality is going down, Stores can get quite busy

Great variety - Edit

This is the original branch of Iku. It's mostly a takeaway but there's a little garden out the back with a low bench where you can sit and eat.

It has a great variety of vegan meals and desserts, including lasagne, curries, burgers, mezze, pies, salads, etc. I've been eating here for years and I've never gotten bored with it. Recommended.

Pros: Huge variety, All vegan

Cons: Expensive

Vegan On The Go - Edit

I like this place. It's like fast food, only healthy and vegan. I really like this idea, since it seems to be hard to find vegan food on the go. The store was clean and the service was very nice. I am definitely going back.

Pros: ready on the go, delicious food, friendly staff

Been eating at the Glebe story for 25 years - Edit

Pity there is little that is organic on the menu anymore and the prices have been going up for years but i still go there as the food is clean. I mean not mixed with some animal products and not oily. Lots of variety in the menu and they have really nice staff. The place is always super clean and the location is great. It is not macrobiotic anymore. Hasn't been for years.

Pros: Location, Clean food, Variety on the menu

Cons: Not much organic produce, Too many price rises, Store hours too short

Cute vegan cafe - Edit

We stopped in to grab a snack after visiting the glebe markets. Had a rice paper roll, polenta slice, and a bencha slice. My favourite was the sweet bencha slice - mmmhhh. We ate in the back "garden" bit (really just a backyard with bamboo blinds) which was quite nice. I would definitely come again for a quick meal!

Pros: Yum food, Great range

Healthy delicious vegan food - Edit

We pick up lunch here most weekends after finishing our grocery shopping. Love the healthy salad range - crispy fresh steamed vegies and bean and rice dishes along with greens make it a very filling and satisfying meal. Also love the macro burgers based on a tofu fritter which is amazingly tasty, though I would prefer it to be less oily. Comes with a huge wholemeal bun, greens and tahini sauce. $1.00 extra for a dollop of chilli sauce is a bit outrageous though. Most places don't charge extra for a spoonful of sauce. Also love the fresh spring rolls, herb flavoured rice balls, inari pockets, lasagne, muffins, and other desserts etc etc. Vegan Christmas cakes are great to buy for a family Christmas gathering. Only thing I've tried so far that was disappointing was the laksa. Prices are a little higher than some other places, but justified by the excellent quality of the ingredients and produce used and obvious care taken in the preparation.

Overall, highly recommended for a top quality healthy fast delicous vegan meal.

Pros: Healthy salads, All vegan and wholefood, Top quality produce and ingredients used

Cons: Some items have too much oil in them

Contributions +176

Small place - Edit

The best meal is the minestrone soup, oh and the fritata. I love the tahini salad dressing and salad wraps. They have pie, lasagne, tarts, steamed tofu burger and rice cakes, sushi, salads, organic drinks, the best dessert is the apple, apricot, lime pie - so yummy!! Best served with soy ice-cream (So Good, Fruccio, Toffuti, Soy Delights, etc). I'm not a big fan of their soy cream, but their muffins are delish especially date or apple. Choc Friand is yummiest of the two however small. Marraba which is a pistachio nut biscuit is so yummy too i get cravings. They also have curries and soup. All great, good quality food at many outlets within Sydney area.

Return to Sydney Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Iku Wholefood Kitchen - Glebe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5543 times since Aug 2007.