Iki Laboratory

Contact 011-2116145

Minami 1 Nishi 5 , B1F Shikishima S1 Bldg, Sapporo, Japan, 060-0061

Serves meat, vegan options available. Despite Hokkaido being a land of many farms, it's difficult to find pure vegetarian food in Sapporo. This restaurant is located in the basement of a building on the north side of the "Minami 1 Nishi 5" block, southwest of Sapporo Station. The vibe is very Japanese with traditional wooden floor seating. The menu features organic vegetable dishes plus soy meat versions of Japanese katsu pork cutlets and kara-age chicken nuggets. Vegan dishes and vegan desserts are the kitchen's specialty. Has brown rice. Menu available in English, and staff speak some English. Also hosts cooking classes. Mon-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by RickH

oriental vegan - Edit

This place is great! Oriental vegan options available (v. Limited). Tiny little place underground and down a small hallway. Second to last shop on the left. Staff have some English. Counter dining and traditional Japanese style dining available.
The locals say it's the best vego place in Sapporo. A little oasis for Vegos in a seafood heavy city. Apparently the ramen is only available on weekdays. But vego ramen!!!

Pros: cosy, friendly vibe., some meat options (for your carnivorous friend)

Cons: tricky to find - look for the symbol on illuminate

Really delicious soy meat choices - Edit

Came for dinner. Spent around 5000 yen for 5 dishes and 2 drinks. Kind of pricey for the portions but really good juicy soy meat dishes (katsu and karaage) and futomaki. Nice interiors and kind staff.

Pros: Yummy soy meats, Opens til late

Cons: Pricey for the portions, Not that many veggie choices

Tasty - Edit

Only bento for weekday lunch. We were glad we went back for dinner. The staff was very friendly and they had English menu. The fried "chicken" wasn't exactly what I had in mind but tasty nonetheless. And they have vegan ramen.

Best meal in Sapporo - Edit

I did not imagine the best vegan meal I will have in Japan will be in a non-vegan restaurant. It is a macrobiotic restaurant though, which gives importance to flavor. And what flavor it had!

I ordered the tofu preserved in miso (which tasted like cream cheese), the brown rice that was fermented with adzuki beans that was so soft and chewy, and the pickled appetizer (I forgot what they called it) was unexpectedly tasty.

It is the most expensive meal I had in Japan though but so worth it.

Pros: great food, great staff who explained the food, their own vegan menu

Cons: expensive, hard to find

Amazing food - Edit

I came here with an omni Japanese friend while we were in Sapporo for the snow festival, and we didn't have trouble getting a table. It was my first experience with macrobiotic food, and I was seriously impressed.

They had an English menu, on which vegan items were clearly marked. Some items are also marked "oriental vegetarian", I asked about that, and those items were vegan, and also did not include onion, garlic etc. Unfortunately, the English menu wasn't entirely up to date, but the waitress was happy to clarify any differences. She had reasonable English, and clearly understood veganism, so it was easy to determine what was safe to eat. After checking with the waitress, we determined on ordering multiple dishes to share, as we were advised that a single dish would be on the small side for a meal.

We had the miso "cream cheese", which, contrary to the description, did not taste quite like cream cheese as it had a strong miso flavour, but it was absolutely amazing in its own right; karaage (deep fried "chicken"), which came with some deep fried root vegetables, which was probably the best mock meat I've ever eaten, and the croquettes, which were also really good, just not as good as the other food. We also had a free starter, which was amazing, it contained the best piece of carrot I've ever eaten. My friend also had a chicken dish which I did not share, while I ate slightly more than half of each of the other 3 dishes, and this felt like about the right amount of food.

Then of course, we had to order dessert. I had the chocolate cake (I'm afraid I can't really remember the details), which was ok but nothing special, and my friend had a crème brulee (also vegan), which I tasted and thought was better than my cake.

I also had a Yuzu amazake drink, which I think was seasonal. It was really unusual but also delicious.

The meal for two people was expensive by Japanese standards, but it seemed very reasonable given the quality of the food, and it was positively cheap by Australian standards.

Pros: Amazing food, English menu, Knowledgeable staff

Cons: English menu not entirely up to date

Nice macrobiotic restaurant near Odori Park. - Edit

We arrived for dinner at Iki Laboratory after a long day of sightseeing in Sapporo, and they were full. I decided I liked the look of the place, so I made a reservation and we came back a few days later.

The food was good. I had soy-meat Karaage (Japanese style fried 'chicken'), and it was delicious. The servings weren't huge, but the quantity of food was sufficient.

The place had a cosy feel to it. There's not a lot of seating, and it always seemed pretty full, so it may be advisable to book in advance. They do have an English menu, that clearly tells you what dishes are Vegan, but you may have to ask for it, as not all servers seem to know it exists.

If you're looking for Vegan food around Odori Park, this place may be your best bet.

Pros: Good food, Clearly labeled vegan options, Location

Cons: Busy

Very nice lunch set - Edit

There is not a lot of choice around in central Sapporo for the traveling veggie. On the day we arrived, while taking a lunchtime walk around to orientate ourselves, we went to this little basement restaurant near the Tokyu Hands.It was easy to find and well signposted outside. cute place, japanese style floor seating. my companion grumbled about having to remove his big boots. the lunch menu was in japanese but with my bad japanese and some basic english translations they provided on a separate paper, we ordered a lunch set. the staff were nice, spoke no english (pretty normal for Hokkaido, so come prepared with at least some phrases if you are picky.) it was very nice, the fake meat stew dish was my favourite. my only regret is not going here at dinner time, could have had some crappy pasta for lunch instead. there was a very exciting array of pickles and sakes around, would have liked to get into those. so, yes, thumbs up, go eat here.

Pros: good lunch set, tasty rice and pickles, friendly staff

Cons: no english

Great little find - Edit

We went here twice - once at night, the other for lunch. The evening meal was great. So many options, lots of veges, good volume per dish, good flavours, a decent drink list... and importantly, the food is organic so it's actually, well, food.

The lunch experience wasn't as good. The only option is the set lunch and maybe we were out of luck but it was just rice with various forms of beans as accompaniment, not nearly enough balance. Admittedly though the price was reasonable and we enjoyed watching some local salarymen nearly fall off their non-seat (it's a sit on floor affair) when they realised there were no animal products on the menu (lunch is totally vegan).

The ambiance here is typical izakaya style - something unusual for organic / veg places. The fact that they also serve meat is actually a plus in many ways as it means you can dine there with omnivores. Only wish there were more places like this in Tokyo and our social lives would be so much better. Oh yes - and they're open late.

Pros: lots of vege options - with real veges, organic ingredients, casual, laid-back izakaya vibe

Cons: didn't like the type of oil they use, lunch was pretty uninspired

One of the few vegan-friendly of Sapporo - Edit

Very difficult to find as it is in the basement of the building it is worth to find. The atmosphere is pleasant and the staff, that doesn't really speaks english but is really kind and helpful, knows what it is to be vegan. A lot of options made from soy and other choices. However, portions tend to be on the small side. I would recommend it for people who want a change from self-catering, raw food or indian food (the only options here in Sapporo)

Pros: Vegan conscious, Staff is helpful, Moderately expensive

Cons: Hard to find, Dishes are quite small, Quite small place

Vegan Home cooking - Edit

Japan is not really a vegetarian oriented place as one might thing. You have a lot you can eat but depend on your location.

In Sapporo as a vegetarian I will recommend Iki Laboratory.
The food is what I like best: home cooking vegan food made with love.
Eating delicious creative food served by an awesome host is like dinning dessert :-) you can taste the kindness in their food.

We really enjoyed our time at Iki laboratory.

Pros: fabulous confort food, creative, friendly staff

Cons: not into mock meat

Great Vegan-friendly Restaurant - Edit

This restaurant is a must-visit while in Sapporo. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and they have an English menu (and the staff spoke good English too). Their large variety of vegan dishes are labelled vegan on the menu (they also label "oriental vegetarian" = vegan + no onion or garlic, for Buddhists). My potato salad, cutlets, soy meat balls and parfait for dessert were all delicious. Servings are quite small, so it's best to order a few dishes (per person) but for such great food it's still very good value. I'll be back while I'm in Sapporo.

Pros: good vegan range, centrally located, warm, welcoming atmosphere

Cons: small portions (but still good value)

Friendly and helpful - traditional Japanese - Edit

Being vegan in Sapporo was presenting a bit of a challenge. When I eventually found this lovely place (from the outside the only clue in English is the word "laboratory" in blue, on a sign for about 10 businesses). To find it, you go through a single glass door, down a flight of stairs and along a corridor, rather different to Europe or the US!

Inside, warm, friendly and helpful staff guide you to your seat (you can sit on the floor, traditional Japanese style, or cheat, as I did with you legs going below the false floor).

I started with Avocado in a wonderful dressing, followed by Roasted organic vegetables (locally grown), and the following night Fried Tofu, and both times with a delicious fermented rice - great! (and not a taste of fish there at all!)

Pros: Excellent central location, Friendly staff, Reasonable choice

Cons: Hard to find, Not especially cheap

Return to Sapporo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Iki Laboratory closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2856 times since Aug 2012.