Ike's

707-293-9814

1780 Mendocino Ave, Santa Rosa, California, USA, 95404

Serves meat, vegan options available. Sandwich shop chain from Northern California. Offers options for vegan sandwiches using ingredients like vegan cheese and faux meat. Open Mon-Wed 10:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sun 10:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by DM

Best sandwich ever - Edit

I think it's silly that HappyCow won't allow me to give this place 5 stars just because they're not 100% vegan--I would if I could! Purely based on the taste of the food, this is one of my all-time favorite places to eat and, like the previous reviewer, I'm not even a fan of sandwiches. I don't know how they do it, but something about the combination of the Dutch Crunch Roll and the fillings is just WOW. There is no other way to describe it.

That said, the few drawbacks are that the menu says that most of the veggie sandwiches can be made vegan, just ask. But in reality, not a lot of them can be. Unfortunately their pesto is not vegan so that rules out a lot of good options. They don't have vegan versions of certain kinds of cheese and almost all the veggie sandwiches have cheese, so what I always do is just ask for a recommended vegan sandwich. It's been great every time and no complaints about the taste. If anyone is able to find out from the company, I would love a confirmation that their breads are vegan since the cashier wasn't completely sure when I asked.

Pros: Best sandwich you will ever have, Clean restaurant and lots of tables

Cons: Vegan options are somewhat unclear, Not sure if bread is vegan

If You Like Sandwiches...You'll LOVE This Place! - Edit

I don't even like sandwiches AND I LOVE this place! It's unique in many ways and fabulous to the hilt. When you first drive up, you might pass it-- if you're not paying attention. The signage is on the small size, but what I like is all the extra space built into the parking area... it's wide where it counts... in the parking aisles when you're pulling in AND when you're pulling out. Boy, what a difference that makes.
When you walk inside it the same feeling...No tables or chairs (they're all outside) just a comfortable, clean and somewhat spacious area in front of the order and pick-up counter AND a plentiful area behind the counter where your sandwich action is carrying on. It's nice that you can clearly watch them making your order without craning your neck to see what's going on back there.
I don't care for sandwiches so I ordered the kid's 5 vegan chicken nuggets with honey mustard dipping sauce to snack on during the drive back to the hotel. Hmm...pretty darn good for Vegan kid's food. We skipped the Carmel Apple Lollipop with the kid's meal, but after 3 nuggets I got curious about the Vegan Natalie Wood sandwich we ordered. Oh my, that barbecue Vegan Chicken and Vegan Cheddar Cheese sandwich was out of this world. Where did all that deliciousness come from in that first bite? Of course, the standard tomato and lettuce insert helped, but I think it was following my instinct to splurge on "Ike's World Famous Dutch Crunch Bread" That pushed it over the edge into pure "Sandwich Greatness." Wow... what a monster of a treat!
I will come clean and say if you prefer "tangy over sweet" barbecue sauce, you might not completely agree with my ravings. But, that just bring the ratings down to about a "Fantasticly Good Sandwich." So there you have it... if you are in Santa Rosa, CA looking for an almost perfect Vegan Sandwich (I could be wrong--But the bread probably has egg in it) you've got to duck into Ike's Place and peruse the Veggie Sandwich Menu Board where it specifically says, "Most of our 100 veggie sandwiches can be made vegan, so just ask" and give 1 or 2 of those sandwiches a try. I'm sure if you like sandwiches, you'll be back to try them all. Oh, and don't be afraid to spring the $.10 for a bag to carry your delicious loot in, even that's worth it!

great food! - Edit

Got a teryaki chikin with cheese,avocado and wasabi mayo, all vegan :). It was great! I would give it 5 stars but I called in my order, then stood in the pick line for 15 minutes and people behind me were getting their food while mine was just sitting there getting cold the whole time :/

Best sandwiches ever! - Edit

Friendly and helpful staff, dozens of vegan sandwiches. Just specify when ordering.

I recommend the Vegan Pilgrim: chik'n, sriracha, cranberry, and Daiya. Vegan Paul Reubens: chik'n, poppy seed cole slaw, French dressing, Daiya. Vegan Pumpkin: chik'n, mushrooms, avocado, Daiya.

Dutch Crunch bread is awesome, as is the sourdough. (All bread is par baked, so it finishes baking right before they serve it to you).

Staff is also glad to recommend new veg*n sandwiches to try. Great flavor combinations!

Return to Santa Rosa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ike's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.