CLOSED: Ike's Place - SF

Contact 415-553-6888

3489 16th St (at /near corner of Sanchez), San Francisco, California, USA, 94114

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual sandwich shop offering also many vegetarian and vegan sandwiches using various faux meats like tofurkey, breaded chickn pattie, meatball; has vegan daiya cheese. The wheat bread might contain honey - ask. Busy at lunch time. Current location since summer 2012; previously at 2247 Market St as reported to Happycow. SEP 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fast food, Non-veg

First Review by Hallie

Gluten free vegan sub - Edit

Hands down the best sandwich I have had. Ever. The bread is amazing. You wouldn't know it was gluten free! Amazing amazing amazing. They have a special for the month of December where you get a free drink, chips, and lollipop with sandwich.

Amazing! - Edit

Yes, the line is a bit mad, but Ike's give you a free bag of chips and a lollipop to quell the hunger pangs, and once you've paid you're free to sit around in the sun and wait for them to call your name.

Amazing selection - go online, as there's so much choice you might need time to deliberate before ordering. The bread, as mentioned, is incredible (go with the dutch crunch!) and the sandwiches huge. I could only eat half.

Take them to Dolores Park for the best sandwich experience ever. This place deserves 5 cows.

Pros: delicious, wide variety, free things!

Cons: expensive, long wait

I was slightly skeptical that Ike's could live up to it's enormous hype. I didn't think a sandwich could be good enough to warrant the constant line around the block that Ike's had at it's previous location. When I finally tried it I was quick to admit I was wrong. Ike makes the best sandwiches I've ever had. I've tried quite a few sandwiches off the vegan menu, and the meatball sub is probably my favorite. I also really like the sandwiches that have his breaded vegan chicken on them. All the bread at Ike's is baked fresh, and even the dutch crunch is vegan! It's pretty awesome. Even so, I still wouldn't stand in that line. I always call my order in. Even with calling it in I would advise patience: I have come to pick my sandwich up at the time I was told to, and still wound up waiting an hour. I also take mine to go, and would advise against eating in unless you like a noisy, almost nightclub-like atmosphere while you eat.

Pros: DELICIOUS FRESH BREAD, Seriously AMAZING vegan sandwich

Cons: A little pricey, Restaurant space can be a little chaotic, LONG waits

Loved Ikes! - Edit

Best vegan sandwiches ever!!! Vegan Meatless Mike is to die for. Sooooo good!!!

We called in our orders. The line is out the door morning, noon and night.

Pros: Many options, Cute place, Ike is nice

Cons: Long lines

Amazinnggg sandwhiches! Ike knows his stuff! - Edit

This place has some truly amazing sandwhiches! The long wait that you will experience to eat here is worth it. Or more to eat outside of here since the actual store front is tinnny. There is also limited seating outside of the restaurant. There are lots of vegan options to choose from and usually other options that aren't on the menu. The first time I was there I had a sandwhich called "Sometimes I'm Vegan" and the second time I had "The Vegan Backstabber." I would highly recommend either sandwhich. My boyfriend got the fake meatball sub and loved it. Expect a lot of meat and cheese replacements, and fat in your sandwhich, and expect to love it. It's maybe a bit pricey for a sandwhich place. You'll probably spend $10-11 with tip. But it's worth it. Ike knows how to make sandwhiches! My friends and I suspect that he was trained in the art of sandwhich making on the east coast.

Pros: Tasty, Lots of vegan choices

Amazing Vegan Sandwiches - Edit

Ike's Place is now part of my trilogy of amazing San Francisco sandwich shops that serve Vegan sandwiches, which also includes Love N Haight and Jay's Cheesesteaks. I have tried the Vegan Meatless Mike (Vegan Meatball sandwich) and the Vegan Backstabber (Vegan Turkery sandwich). Both were incredible! Ike's bakes their bread fresh to order, which makes a huge difference. The sourdough bun was nice and crispy on the outside. The sandwiches have Ike's Vegan dirty sauce, which is just simply divine. They both had a great vegan cheese. The vegan meatballs were delicious. The lines are usually pretty (deservedly) long and I like taking the sandwich to Duboce Park to watch all the cute dogs run around while I eat. I even had a cute pit bull come up to try my sandwich and he is now Ike's newest fan. This is truly a vegan treasure. If only it was completely vegan.

Pros: Amazing Sandwiches, Fresh to order bread, great vegan meats/toppings

Cons: Long line

YUM!!!!! - Edit

This place makes what are probably the best vegan sandwiches I've ever eaten. It is primarily a "meat" place, but offers almost every sandwich it makes (20+) in vegan varieties! The sandwiches are really to die for, and worth the crazy 20-40 minute wait standing outside. (Avoid this place in the rain). I wish there were more places like Ike's. A real vegan treat, with yummy bread, tasty toppings and both fake meat (turkey, meatball) and pure veggie options. I LOVED the Vegan Eli Manning, with garlic and herb sauce.

This should be a five cow rating, but Happy Cow is acting up on me, and not letting me award five cows!!

Pros: Great sandwiches, friendly, vegan optiosn

Cons: long wait, pricey, though fair

yummy! - Edit

This place has delicious sandwiches! Had the vegi-meatball sub and it was amazing. Very small place, very little seating. Only has a few outdoor tables, it was raining when we went so we had to eat in the car. Staff was very helpful and informative. Went for a late lunch on a weekday and there was no line, though they say the line can be very long.

Pros: food

Cons: seating

Sandwiches are beautiful, sandwiches are fine... - Edit

I was recommended this sandwich shop in the Castro by a vegetarian friend of mine. What I loved about it was the fact that ANYTHING on the menu can be made vegan, and that Ike, the owner, was there to personally deliver my sandwiches to me and my partner, along with some complimentary lollipops. They also have a few interesting sodas in the cooler, including my personal fave: Coke in a glass bottle from Mexico. I got the Phil-'er-up BBQ sandwich (vegan version), which was yummy and sizeable, on good bread, but plan to order something different next time.

Pros: Good service, MANY vegan options, Location

Cons: Long lines/wait

I would give it a 5, but HappyCow doesn't let you - Edit

I would give it a 5, but HappyCow doesn't let you on places that aren't 100% veg. ) :

The food is really good. The vegan meatball sub is THE GREATEST! They have separate vegan and vegetarian menus. The staff is really friendly and helpful.
This place is always busy, often has lines out the door (but it's an extremely small place and the food is amazing. You can eat outside if there is a table, or I prefer to get it to go, and take it to eat at Duboce park (eat great food while sitting in the grass and watching doggies play!)

Pros: large vegan menu, probably THE friendliest staff, VEGAN MEATBALL SUB

Cons: not much seating

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Ike's Place - SF closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4417 times since Aug 2008.