Hunter Gatherer Vegetarian Diner

n/a

1221 15th Ave, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Vegetarian diner est. 2016 in the Heritage neighborhood. Offers diners food like veggie burgers & fries, hash browns, milkshakes, root beer floats. Rustic decor.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Canadian

First Review by _lawlipops_

Vegan Options - Edit

Really nice and comfortable place. They have vegan options now and a vegan poutine that is delicious. The gravy is 10/10!!!

Pros: Vegan Options, Friendly staff

Great food, friendly staff - Edit

This is my favourite restaurant. I'm never disappointed when I eat here. Most of the items can be made vegan, while everything is vegetarian. The staff are well informed on dietary restrictions and extremely accommodating. I will keep coming back.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Fair priced , Friendly staff

Cons: Inconvenient parking

Good intentions but falls short for vegans - Edit

I'm quite surprised to have found a vegetarian restaurant in Regina. The decor is a little confusing for a veg restaurant, with (fake) animal trophy mounts on the walls, but they're going for the rustic hipster look. The menu is completely vegetarian and they can also veganize some options. It's a very small restaurant, but I wouldn't expect a sprawling space for a veg diner in Regina. Some of the staff members are friendly and some don't really notice you until you pay. It's an open kitchen/bar concept, so it can probably get noisy in the dinner rush, and they also have a large communal picnic table that I imagine causes quite the cacophony when full. Otherwise, they have a handful of booths and a handful of stools at the kitchen.

Most of their daily specials are not vegan (melts, desserts, soups, etc), but some of the regular meals can be veganized by leaving out cheese, butter, or mayo. I went with cream of tomato soup, The Stranger (veganized), and pickled chickpea salad. For dessert, I got a vegan brownie. The cream of tomato soup and vegan brownie were today's specials, and when talking to the server, she informed me that The Usual, The Stranger, and the curry can be veganized. The pickled chickpea salad, fries, and house salad are the vegan-friendly sides. I had the lunch menu, which is pretty small, so the dinner menu might be more promising for vegans.

Unfortunately, this is probably my least favorite vegan dinner I've had in a while when traveling. Everything was underseasoned (and not just lacking salt) and bland, and I think they probably depend a little too heavily on the cheese and butter to give the burgers flavor. Once that is removed (and they don't have vegan cheese options), there was an odd flavor with the black bean burger, and the patty itself was quite dry. The pickled chickpea salad had some odd seasonings (or lack thereof) and again bland. The brownie was as dense as a paperweight and while it was definitely chocolately, it just didn't have a lot going for it in the texture department. However, I did clean my plate. The burger as a whole was tasty, but I would have enjoyed some vegan cheese or a slightly less dry patty. The brownie could be a bit less dense and I'd be happy. Not bad, not great, but better than I expected.

That being said, I got a rather filling vegan meal in one of the most unexpected regions I've been to so far. I just think that their vegan options need a lot of work, but I would be happy here as a vegetarian!

Pros: Reasonably priced, Unique atmosphere

Cons: Mediocre vegan options, Slightly cramped

Vegetarian and vegan comfort food - Edit

The entire menu is 100% vegetarian and vegan. No meat is cooked here. They have a regular menu and a breakfast menu. On the regular menu, they have veggie burgers ("The Stranger" and "The Usual") that can be made vegan. The beans in a blanket and chickpea salad are vegan. The Kentucky Fried Wrap can be veganized. They have some options that are for vegetarians (an onion ring cheese burger, grilled cheese, and melt of the moment). I really liked "The Stranger" burger with side chickpea salad.

For breakfast, they have pancakes that can be made vegan or gluten-free. They also have a tofu scramble that can be made vegan.

Pros: Delicious comfort food., Lovely decor in an up-and-coming neighbourhood, They are looking to get a liquor license

Cons: Menu does not label which items can be veganized, No vegan cheese option yet, Some items are expensive

Return to Regina Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hunter Gatherer Vegetarian Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.