Hunan Cafe

Contact 301-519-8688

18749 N Frederick Rd, Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, 20879

Serves meat, vegan options available. Basic place offering Chinese food. Has a vegetarian menu list with many mock meat dishes. A lunch dish comes with a veggie spring roll and steamed rice. The mock meats are made from soy protein - ask if contains whey or not.

Category: Ovo, Chinese, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by charlieb

My first vegan restaraunt - Edit

I tried this place on a whim after Comic Book Day 2013. The vegan menu at the time was overwhelming, as I had not much knowledge of vegan fare at that point. I ordered the curry chicken, which the meat was OK but as CookieM said, the sauce was very runny. I'll have to give them another try soon, just for having such an extensive vegan menu,

Pros: Lots of choices., Fake meats (not just tofu), Price

Cons: Watery sauces

Barely mediocre - Edit

I like to be kind, but I like to be honest. I would like to like this place because of the "non-chicken" (i.e. fake meat) items they have, but it just wan't very good in flavor or execution. The veggies were fresh (broccoli and snow peas), but they were not fully cooked in some pieces - the taste of raw broccoli in stir fry is not desirable. In addition, the sauces were runny, like water.... ok, yes, it's artificially thickened at most Chinese restaurants with some starchy thickener like corn starch, but when the sauce is like water and can spill like water, it makes the meal less appetizing.

However, I just ordered take-out, so maybe they pay more attention to those dining in the restaurant? I noticed that there was virtually no one in the restaurant, but it was a Monday evening.

The fake meat is one of my least favorite kinds, too. The staff was hesitant to assure me it was vegan, but, those who have sampled many fake meats just know which ones are which. This fake meat was the kind you find in large crunch clear plastic bags in the dry goods section in just about bite-sized dried protein beefy-looking slices - the kind that needs to be reconstituted. So, maybe that's why the fake meat dish was watery? Still, the other dish, veggies only, didn't need to be!

Finally, the flavor was nothing more than soy sauce. I can do that myself and not need to pay the prices they charge. While I support their efforts to have vegan options/ fake meat, I can honestly say that I would not return. Sorry, Hunan Best!

Cons: Runny sauce, Dried fake meat, No flavor

Love this place - Edit

We order from this place once a week and always enjoy whatever we get... they have a separate vegan menu that my wife and I order from and whenever anyone else is here with us they order from the regular menu that is awesome as well. I would have given this restaurant 5 stars if it would have let me.

Return to Gaithersburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hunan Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1041 times since Jan 2012.