Hummus Bar Vegetarian - Hollan Erno

Contact 0709328015

XIII. ker. Hollán Ernő utca 6, Budapest, Hungary, 1073 Budapest VII

One of several outlets. Serves hummus, falafel, pita, and soup. Complimentary mint tea. English spoken and on the menu. Previously located on Kertesz. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Mediterranean, Fast food, Take-out, Middle Eastern

First Review by Rose

Lifesaver - Edit

It is well know that we vegans can survive on hummus and nothing else for years. Having said that, this is the best hummus I tasted in Budapest.

There are plenty of branches of this chain around the city. Be sure to check with the staff which items are vegan, the (V) in the menu only means ovolactovegetarian.

Hummus bars are opened until 22 or 23 depending on the branch, which is great for a late dinner.

Pros: Hummus friendly

Cons: Vegan options not labeled

Good - Edit

It's a nice place to go, but the portions and the prices are not the best comparing to other places I went in Budapest. You won't end up with hungry, but I think it happens only because the big pita breads that come with some dishes and fill the stomach so easily.
Falafel is very tasty.
They could have more vegan options in menu.
And, as a bar, I thought they should serve more beer options. Actually, Hummus Vegetarian Bar doesn't look like a bar.

Pros: Falafel, Quick service

Cons: Few vegan options, Few kinds of beer

Great service, great value - Edit

This is a fully vegetarian cosy little restaurant, with friendly (English-speaking) staff. The quality and portion sizes are good value for money, and they also offer pots of hummous to take away. As of December 2013, they are renovating, so the menu is slightly, although not drastically, reduced.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Central Location

Yummie! - Edit

What a great place, this is. Hungary is a meat eating country, so this Hummus Bar is really a relief. It's a place for a quick lunch or dinner, not a restaurant to stay for the whole evening.

There is plenty to choose from. Soup, falafel, hummus with all kinds of vegetables, etc. Its fresh and tasty. The hummus bar is close to the Margit bridge, on the Pest- Side.

As said by people before me, the price is very good. For falafel complete, you pay 1500 HUF, thats 6 euro. It's enough for dinner.

You should try the lemonade too. It's really good! I'm drinking lemonade here all the time.

Pros: Tasty food, English menu, Nice staff

Great veg fast-food - Edit

We visited Hummus bar at V. ker. Kecskeméti str. 1 - close to Vaci Utca.

Great falafel and hummus, really fresh, very cheap and ideal if you're looking for vegetarian/vegan healthy fast-food.

There were only a few vegan options - and also make sure they don't put sauce on your meal. There were only a few seats inside so I guess it can get crowded in winter or when it's rainy. We visited in summer so we could sit outside.

Pros: Fresh and tasty food, Healthy fast-food, Really cheap

Cons: Few vegan options, Few seats inside

best falafel - Edit

It was big surprise to find this place. It was by chance. There I have eaten the best falafel with humus. The guys who work there were very friendly. And it was quite cheap (as actually the whole Bidapest). I was really enjoing my falafel with humus and hope to come back to Budapest to enjoy this taste again.

Pros: cosy, tasty, cheap

Best meal I had in Budapest - Edit

It ain't much to look at but the food is excellent, the service is fast, and the staff are friendly. You order downstairs when you walk in and the bring the food to you at one of the small tables upstairs (or you can get it to take away).

I had a bowl of lentil soup and the hummus salad, which came with some warm bread. Both were generously portioned, but the lentil soup was so good I had to order another bowl (after subsisting on bread and salad for many days, I was seriously craving the protein). Of course this meant I couldn't finish all the food, but I made a valiant effort and waddled out thoroughly sated.

The only thing that would have improved the meal was some whole wheat bread, but then I could say the same after almost every meal I eat when traveling in Europe.

Highly recommended!

Pros: great food, good value, fast service

Yummy food - Edit

This was a great place. The atmosphere was a little rustic but the food was great. The menu was in English, and the friendly staff spoke English. It was fun to try different types of hummus. The portions were a good size. Be sure to ask for the special bread.

Pros: Yummy food, English-speaking staff/menu, All Vegan

Cons: bland atmosphere

Nagyon finom! - Edit

Just been there and had an amazing Falafel pitában (see picture). It's stuffed to the brim with cucumber, pickle slices, hummus, falafel, salad,..... wonderful & cheap (600 HUF). Staff is extraordinarily friendly - we got there and the first thing was that we got invited to a yummy mint tea. they also mentioned themselves, that they are a fully vegan place - i didn't even have to ask.
i'll definitely go there again and can only recommend this place to anyone visiting Budapest - veggi or not!!

Quick service, great tasting - Edit

Probably the best "hummas plate" I've had. Really flavorful and fresh tasting. I was in a hurry and this was a perfect lunch. Reasonably price and good variety of dishes. Highly recommend.

falafel dreams - Edit

I just got a falafel pita with aubergine slices. It was very tasty, filling and cheap. I also had a taste of the hummous plate which was flavourful and colourful :) Free tea and very friendly staff. Staff said it is fully vegan.

Pros: all vegan, variety , cheap

Delicious! - Edit

I went to Hummus Bar once only (unfortunately) and simply loved the food. We had a regular falafel plate and a couscous plate with pita bread. The food was definitely filling, delicious and cheap.
We also got free tea. The staff was friendly, the atmosphere quite alternative, they had great music on and nobody was smoking - just perfect : )

Superb - Edit

If I lived in Budapest I'd be here every night!

The staff are friendly. They served us a free shot of mint tea on arrival and advised us when we had over-ordered! The restaurant is small, more of a cafe really, but has a nice atmosphere.

Then there's the food - wow. Great hummous, felafel, salads etc. Really cheap too.

We went to the other Hummus Bar (Alkamany) the following night and it was equally good so go to whichever one is closest.

Enjoy!

Pros: Yummy food, Sooo cheap, Great staff

Excellent Hummus/falafel bar. - Edit

We just wanted to get some direction to a healthshop a close by but we ended up getting free tea (greatly appreciated since it was really cold outseide).That's when we noticed how freindly everyone was and how excellent the menu is so we went back a few minutes later.

The menu was absolutely vegan freindly, in fact I undertsand that alwmost everything is vegan, but you should probablya sk to be sure. I had a delicious falafel sandwich with some spicy stuff and tahini sauce and a lot of mixed vegetables) and a fries with more sauces.

The place is small, although there is an upstairs area but it has a very relaxed atmosphere and the food not only tastes excellent but looks good too.

I will definitely be going back soon, and maybe ordering some as well. :)

Pros: Vegan for the most part., Food is fresh and mdelicious, Cheap and friendly

Perfect hummus and falafels - Edit

The quality here is superb. Try anything--the pitas, the plates--it's all great. This branch is smaller than the Alkotmany one, but still has all the basics. And for less than $4 you can get an overstuffed, delicious pita.

And by the way, the white sauce is not yogurt; it's a vegan tahini sauce. No problems there.

Pros: Delicious hummus and felafels, Cheap, Delicious sauces

Nice food, slow service - Edit

The food here is real good, but the service was a little slow and confused. You'd better try their other branch at Alkotmany street, which is great.

Pros: Great food, Cheap

Cons: Slow service, Tiny place

great - Edit

wonderful place with good vegan options, helpful staff and a nice relaxed atmosphere. i stayed around the corner and had several memorable meals here chatting with one of the young workers. i found it interesting the reading material was a hungarian cannabis magazine, i come from amsterdam so i felt right at home!

Pros: food, price, staff

Cons: outside of lacation

hummus & falafel pita is the way to go - Edit

I'm really not sure Vegan is comprehended here. The Falafel and Hummus pita with onions & spicy is quite wonderful, but they put some white sauce on it that I think is just Tahini... If you live in Budapest this seems to be a good international hang out, everyone was speaking English upstairs when we were there, great young crowd. Tons of construction and trash on the street and over head! I don't think they care about lead paint / asbestos in Budapest... stuff was just flying everywhere.... cough! if you're just in Buda for a few days, I'd skip this in favor of Le Bar & Izek (Izek is simply vegan fabulous)

Pros: inexpensive, good crowd

Cons: construction, vegan?

Amazing! - Edit

This place is amazing. The pittas are soft and the choice of fillings is fantastic. We were in Budapest only for three days but came back here twice. It is quite small and there is limited seating upstairs, but the staff are very friendly and speak very good English. We loved this place, can't say enough and this branch is 100% vegetarian. It has a "studenty" vibe to it so it's not posh nosh but it's delicious.

Pros: Excellent Food, Value for money, Friendly staff

Cons: Small, Have to walk up stairs for seating area

Nice once we found it. - Edit

Its not across from the lizt academy, its vaguely near. It was also obscured by scaffolding when we went. I always find it frustrating when happy cow reviews are negative based on people getting exactly what they ordered, yet I find myself going down that route, I ordered a complete plate, with hummus, phool, falafel, mushrooms, chickpeas and 2 pitta. It tasted excellant, and before my complaint I remind you i was in a place called hummus bar, it had too much hummus, it was good hummus, but so much of it. The moral for me is, think before I order.
The decor uostairs featured a pleasant room made to look eastern and a wall covered in Isreali newspapers.
I had brought a cat along, but there was not room to swing it unfortunately.

Pros: food, service

Cons: finding it, hummus heavy

Great hummus plates - Edit

What a great place! They greet you with a small cup of mint tea (which is free) while you figure out what you want to order. Try the hummus plates, you get a nice plate of hummus and other sauces with falafel (or other forms of chick peas) along with two pita breads. The pineapple juice is strongly recommended.

There are actually two Hummus Bars, there's also one (larger, with a few more options) at V. Alkotmány Ut. 20. Friendly, english-speaking staff at both places.

Pros: Hummus plates, Staff, Price

Hummus Bar, Budapest - Edit

I go along with the descriptions listed below. SMall, very friendly, English spoken by the staff and on the menu, big portion, a simple menu, tasty and inexpensive. I liked the soup best. The also do a nice plate of chips but that would be better if salt wasn't added by the staff instead of asking 1st.

Very vegan veggie friendly.

Pros: Very vegan veggie friendly, Friendly staff

Nice Hummus - Edit

The place serves Hummus, Shaqshooka, Sabich (pita with eggplant), Fallafel and some other Israeli (or palestinian) food.
It's a small place with about 20 seats, some inside some outside. Friendly and cozy.

excellent!!! - Edit

great food and friendly staff make this a must visit in budapest. i took us a while to find it but it was worth the effort.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, large portions

Cons: no liquor

great service, great food - Edit

Three meals in three days during my brief stay. It was just that good! Falafel pita for 500, falafel plate for 1000 (huge serving on the plate, two pitas, about 10 balls of falafel, large container of hummus). All food available to go as well. Falafel is made fresh to order, they didn't skimp on the hummus (which is very flavorful). Fresh ingredients, mind for cleanliness and kind service made for a memorable experience. While you wait you'll be served a nice mint tea that they top up whenever the glass gets low. Small front with primary seating area upstairs, might miss the place if you weren't looking for it but it's worth looking for. English is spoken well.

Pros: great food, clean, great service

Cons: none

Pretty Good. - Edit

This place is about 10 minutes walking from to nyugaci(?)trainstation west&westend city center mall. Very nice guy who works there. The place looks small and simple,not a great interior or anything but it's allright. They don't have that big of a choice in foods, but what they do offer is very yummy indeed!

Pros: yummy&cheap food, nice staff, close to trainsttn+mall

Cons: small place, simple interior

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hummus Bar Vegetarian - Hollan Erno closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.