Hummus Bar Vegetarian - Alkotmany

Contact +36-1-3021385

V. ker. Alkotmány utca 20, Budapest, Hungary,

A location of Hummus bar, this is in central Budapest, near the Parliament and Western Railway station. Offers hummus, falafel, pita, and soups. English spoken and on the menu. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-10:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Fast food, Take-out, Middle Eastern

First Review by morrowdoug

Great veggie place! - Edit

This is one of the many Hummus Bars in Budapest. Although the others offer meat too, this smaller place is vegetarian and about 80% of their food is vegan. The pita and the falafels are fresh, the hummus is tasty and the service is fast. The hummus plates are huge and pretty cheap. They also do takeaway.

Pros: big portions, cheap, tasty

Nice stop - Edit

Very tasty inexpensive food. Had a bit of a predicament when the only waitress and I tried to figure out if there was any gluten free options as I am a coeliac. She had very basic English so it was confusing for both of us but she did make an effort and eventually her friend who had better english helped translate. Sadly only 2 or 3 things were gluten-free, the hummus plate and moroccan carrots were what i had and there were delicious! my parents had falafels, hummus and pita bread.

Pros: tasty inexpensive food, fast service, city centre

Cons: not much gluten free options

Unfortunately no smiles with your felafels! - Edit

The food was good enough, good felafels and hummus. The tabbouleh was average though and the staff didn't smile once while we were in there. This put a dampener on the experience as the place looked very promising upon entering but the service was very average. I'll take my felafels to go next time!

Pros: Tasty hummus and felafels, Fast, Cheap

Cons: Unfriendly staff, Not very fresh, A lot of things unavailable

Pretty bland - Edit

I was disappointed with this place. I had the cous cous soup and a tabouli salad and both were unexceptional. The cous cous soup in particular was oily and bland with hardly any vegetables. The tabouli didn't have any bulgar wheat that I could see even though it was listed on the menu and the tomato was soggy. The dressing was average. My boyfriend had a pita pocket with falafel and it too was pretty average. I'm not fussy with middle eastern food, it's pretty easy to make it taste great in my opinion and this place was a big let down. Also most of the veg options had egg.

Pros: English menu

Cons: Bland, small portions

nice soup! - Edit

Had a great meal here, my friend and I ordered a vegan feast of couscous soup, hot pitta breads, fries and hummus plate with aubergine... delicious! really good prices too, so cheap we thought we must have got the currency conversion wrong!

Pros: great food, cheap!

Lovely - Edit

We ask for a lentil soup and a hummus complete plate. Both were excellent. One of the guys that work there also brought us a simple of a typical Hungarian drink...I think it was called Sakla. It was very good, an hot drink very welcome in a chilly day. It is not vegan although, because was made of milk.

Pros: good selection, Friendly staff, Good environment

Ok - Edit

We chose salad, fries and hummus in a pita bread but it didn't taste very special. The service personal wasn't too friendly either, there are better Hummus bars in Budapest.
See here as well here for other restaurant tips in Budapest: http://rawsday.wordpress.com/2013/07/26/vegan-in-budapest/

Pros: Cheap, Free lemonade when entering

best falafel in Budapest - Edit

excellent falafel. Nice relaxed place, friendly staff, menus in English and the staff speak English too. Good range of vegan stuff and the homemade lemonade is very nice. There are 7 Hummus Bars in Budapest - we tried several. Two are solely vegetarian, but the other 5 have a good range of vegan food too. and they have free wifi too.

Pros: top falafel , nice atmosphere, friendly staff

Best in Budapest, must visit! - Edit

The hummus plates is something I have never eaten before. It is so yummmy I can't describe it! Also the lemonade was delicious. When you order you don't need to pay in advance, you just sit and eat and pay after you're done. When it's hot outside, you get free shot of lemonade before you even order.

Pros: Yummy as hell, Cheap, English menu

Decent pita's, old tasting fries, oily salad - Edit

My wife and I visited this hummus bar during our trip in Budapest. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere while starting off with a Hungarian Dreher beer. The terras is situated on the pavement, so you can enjoy lots of people walking by (some frowning while seeing a vegetarian bar, which made us laugh actually). I ordered a hummus pita, because I had already some falafels during our trip through Eastern Europe. Tasted good, nothing to complain about. My wife had a falafel pita, which tasted good according to her. The fries we ordered tasted a bit old, not the best. Also the side salad (home made salad mix) was not what I had hoped for: mainly cucumber cubusses drawned in olive oil (I was hoping for some low fat leafy greens to load up some vitamines for the rest of our trip...).
Updated from previous review on Friday July 27, 2012

Pros: decent falafel, the way it should be

Cons: the salad was too oily, no leafy greens, fries tasted old

Quick, tasty, cheap - Edit

I went to this Hummus Bar a couple of times for lunch. They servce ample portions, and you can't possibly be grumpy about having a draught Kozel with your meal. They have your sort of nominal mise en place, but they do prepare a lot of the food to-order, including the falafel, at least from what I saw. That's pretty nice, considering the place isn't supposed to be high-brow. A lot of other places might cut corners for what they're asking for the food.

It's simple food done in a satisfying way. Nothing spectacular to be sure, but good for what it is.

Pros: Inexpensive, Tasty, Convenient

quick delicious food - Edit

During our stay in Budapest we ate at various Hummus Bars. This one is vegetarian, so does not offer any meat options, which was fine with us ;)
We had the "shakshuka" special and the "complete" hummus dish. Both were delicious and fresh (my shakshuka came right out of the oven and was still bubbling :)
The staff was friendly and could speak English. The atmosphere is not exactly cozy but absolutely fine for a delicious dinner/meal.

Pros: food, price, staff

Cons: atmosphere

Fine - Edit

Our experience here was fine for a vegan hummus fix. I really appreciated having an English language menu and knowing that what I ordered was actually vegan.

We ate mixed salads with chips, pita and hummus. It tasted fine and was well priced. There are vegan and veggie options although they also serve meat.

Pros: Vegan options, English menu, Price

Cons: Not exclusively veg*n

Great food and Great Service - Edit

I went there on Sunday, Aug 28th, in the evening at around 9pm when it's absolutely impossible to find somewhere vegetarian in Budapest. The girl who served me is extremely friendly and polite. I had very good falafel and hummus and a nice lemonade, which is given as a taster in a small glass to everyone coming in. This place is a blessing, totally different from the other branch on Kecskemeti Utca. There, on the same day, but at lunch time, I had to over 25 minutes for a wrong order plus more 20 minutes for the right one. Beside, people who came after me were being served before. The dish was great, but the customer service experience at Kecskemeti Utca was a complete patience exercise.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent service, Open till late

Best hummus and falafel ever! - Edit

This place has delicious hummus & falafel, definitely recommend it. It's a small place with friendly staff and fast service.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value

Excelent - Edit

I was passing by this street in Budapest and Hummus Bar caught my attention. I was in a hurry but I still crossed the road because I knew this was a veggie place (had seen the name on happy cow beforehand). I just had time to pick up something to take out, so I ordered a Sabih. Wow, it was delicious! The best hummus I had in years! Also, it is a very tinny place but very cozy and I would definitely love to go back to taste more dishes.

Pros: delicious, cheap, nice

Go there! - Edit

I loved this place. OK, so I love hummous. And I'm vegetarian. So it had a good chance with me..

The staff are friendly and served us a free shot of mint tea on arrival. The restaurant is small, more of a cafe really, but has a nice atmosphere.

Then there's the food - wow. Great hummous, felafel, salads etc. I even got a felafal sandwich for lunch the next day and it was incredible. A meal for two, including two takeaway sandwiches for the next day was £14!

We went to the other Hummus Bar (Kertesz) too and it was equally good so go to whichever one is closest.

Pros: Amazing food, Incredible value, Friendly staff

We loved it. - Edit

A great little place behind the Parliament - very friendly, menu in English too, great price and choice. We ordered inside then sat down outside and food was brought to the table. More seating upstairs (airconditioned) and a loo too (sans lock). I had Tabbouleh which came with a hardboiled egg and was delicious. Mr Weev had a salad plate of hummus and a glass of fabulous minty lemonade.

Perfect hummus and falafels - Edit

I ate here twice and was completely thrilled. Needless to say, I love hummus and falafels, and found the quality here to be superb. Try anything here--the pitas, the plates--it's all great.

The price is great. For less than $4, you can get an overstuffed pita.

And by the way, the white sauce is not yogurt; it's a vegan tahini sauce. No problems there.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Delicious again!

Best veggie food in Budapest - Edit

It's not easy to find "real food" in Budapest. Altough Hummus Bar is not a fully vegetarian restaurant, you can find here lots of veggie and vegan options. The dishes are very generous, so maybe it's a good idea to share it with your travelling partner. The prices are very fair also. Try the falafel with Arab salad!

Good - Edit

We both had falafel filled Pitta and enjoyed it. The staff kept refilling our free mint tea and service was swift. If you like hummus, falafel and similar this should be good.

Pros: Staff, mint tea, Flavousome

You have to eat here - Edit

I was in Budapest for 5 days, and I probably ate here 10 times. It was incredible. It's run by a hilarious Israeli guy who brings the best of Israeli cuisine to Budapest: fantastic hummus, falafel, sabir, shakshuka, mint tea, etc. So, so unbelievably cheap and so fantastically delicious.

Pros: delicious, cheap as hell, fantastic staff

Cons: nothing

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hummus Bar Vegetarian - Alkotmany closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5784 times since May 2008.