Humblest of Pleasures

+44-1422845813

35 Market St , Hebden Bridge, England, HX76EU

An all-vegan cafe serving a full breakfast menu consisting of pancakes, full English, avocado on toast, sausage sandwiches, etc. Lunch menu offering jackfruit, bean burgers, kale mac 'n cheese, and a full sandwich and child's menu. Coffee and cake also available. Open Tue-Sat 9:30am-7:30pm, Sun 10:00am-2:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, Western, British

First Review by jansky7

LOVE IT!!! - Edit

I am so happy that a vegan cafe is close to where i live! I came here with my mum who is veggie and i am vegan, and it was generally a lovely experience to be in my first fully vegan cafe.
I had the BBQ jack fruit as i haven't ever had it before, and it was really tasty! I wouldn't recommend this if you don't have such a good tolerance for spice, but it was absolutely amazing! The vegan cheese was also really good, and the guac with tortilla chips.
I also had to try the mac and cheese so i had a child's portion, and this was also really good!
I also had a hot chocolate and chocolate ckae which were delicious- not too sickly either!
I came on a friday and i was pleased to see that it got lots of business! I always worry that places like this will close down, but i doubt that will happen any time soon if it stays the way it was today!
The general vibe and decoration of the place was really cute and quirky- i liked the exposed bricks with cute decorations! I thought all of the different mugs was a nice touch, and if you are in need of any, i would happily donate some as my family have cupboards bursting full of them!!
The staff were lovely and welcoming , which seems to be hard to come by these days!
To summarise, it was a lovely place in a lovely location, with great staff, great food, great prices, and a smiling vegan at the end of it! Thank you very much, i'll be back!

Pros: Great food, Perfect portion sizes, Great staff

Cons: none!

Promising - Edit

I'm really glad that this place exists. It's still early days though. We ordered the jack fruit on a bun and the bean burger. Jack fruit was lovely. It came with guacamole and doritos. The bean burger was a disappointment though. It was luke warm and mushy. Came with thick cut chips which were only half cooked. This is an odd trend. I've had this in three different places now. The bread bun on both was way too big and tough to chew also. However, these issues won't put me off from going back and you should try it too. It's a cool place and there's not many other places nearby to get the choice which they offer.

Pros: Purely vegan. , Cool place. , Good prices.

Cons: Buns need improving.

KatieHartley 30 Aug 2017 - Hi Carlton,

Thank you so much for your review. I'm so glad you will be visiting us again and thank you for the recommendation to others. I absolutely agree with you re: the buns, we are still in the early stages as you already said, and are still trialling different buns to see which people prefer. We have some new buns in today, which are much more manageable and smaller in size. The last were way too large! Onto your wedges though, they should not have been only half-cooked! I do apologise for this and can guarantee that this wont happen again.

Lovely vibe, friendly staff, hearty food - Edit

We sampled the pulled jackfruit, mac & cheese and sandwiches - all very tasty and hearty. Live the fact that you can get smaller kids' versions of almost everything - we used this to allow us to try lots of things. The sandwiches were on wholemeal bread cut quite thick, which made them very filling - the secomd time we visited, we asked for the bread to be sliced thinner, which made them easier to manage!

Pros: Friendly staff, All vegan, Lots of kids' options

KatieHartley 30 Aug 2017 - Thank you very much for your review!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time here. We've since got new bread because we were finding the same issue, that it was a bit too thick for sandwiches!

Hope to see you soon,

Humble Beginnings - Edit

I made a beeline for Humblest of Pleasures whilst on a foodie trip to Yorkshire, having seen the venue develop via facebook posts. The whole vibe of the place is really cool, I adore the interior design and the running quirky themes. The menu is comfort food style, and very fairly priced for the area.

We ordered a range of items to try out alongside coffees; the spicy bean burger, the Buddha bowl, and the loaded jacket (my dad insisted on swapping the guac out for vegan cheese, sacrilegious I know, but you have to please them don’t you!). Everything arrived promptly, after being made to order for us. The coffees were served in unique, mismatched cups which was really quaint, having one arrive in a Christmas cup (mid July at the time) caused a chuckle.

Unfortunately we were a little underwhelmed by the meals, as they were all a bit bland seasoning wise, although they were generous portions which is a plus. I also was a little surprised the spicy bean burger (not sure they were spicy at all? Didn’t detect a hum of heat sadly.) came in a bog standard, cheap white burger bun, when there’s a gorgeous organic bakery across the road. I thought maybe giving the option for wholemeal bap would be more up-to-date with the market, even at an extra cost maybe, or even a white bun of more quality, rather than economy edition.

I really liked the atmosphere of the café, the staff were really friendly and the premises were immaculate, and although we didn’t have room for desserts, they certainly looked delightful. I absolutely wouldn’t avoid visiting again if I’m in the area, and it’d be great to see the company develop, we need to encourage the need for dedicated vegan eateries as frequently as possible and help keep them going!

Pros: Purely vegan menu, Fantastic interior design and vibe, Great location

Cons: Seasoning room for improvement, Better buns for burgers

KatieHartley 15 Aug 2017 - Thank you for your review, Hoggy! We have since changed our buns and we now use buns and bread baked fresh daily from Saker across the road. Our spicy bean burger recipe has also since been changed - and it's a lot more spicy! Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate the time you spent to write a review for us. I'm so glad you like the interior and the vibe of our place. I hope you get chance to pop back and try our new buns!

AMAZING - Edit

The most amazing little cafe I have been to in my life. I have tried the full breakfast, BBQ jackfruit and the mac n cheese. Everything has so much flavour, would defiantly recommend. The coffee is great! which goes great with all the cakes they have to offer.

Pros: Decor, The staff are so friendly and welcoming , Very chilled vibes

KatieHartley 30 Aug 2017 - Thank you so much for your review Holly!

Hope to see you again soon,

Worth a visit - Edit

I happened to see that this new vegan cafe had opened up in Hebden Bridge and I was totally lured by the pulled Jackfruit burger, having tried one for the first time a few weeks ago and being instantly hooked.
Unfortunately I chose to go on a Sunday and currently they only serve a very small breakfast menu on Sundays which I hadn't known before I went.

First of all the bad... so the cafe does not really stand out on the street and I walked past it once and only spotted it on the way back.
Inside it's a little rough and ready with exposed brick walls, the atmosphere is a little stark. It would be nice to see some decoration, maybe 'shabby chic'/traditional style bunting along with some paintings and soft furnishings to make the inside more homely and inviting.
Next, I came by myself with my baby (12 months old) in a sling, the cafe was almost empty when I arrived with only one other table occupied, yet despite this none of the three staff offered to bring a highchair over to my table so I ended up having to do that myself whilst carrying my baby and large bag... not an easy task.
Once opened out the tray of the highchair had quite a lot of food debris on it, however, when the young waitress came over to bring me my drink I asked her to clean the tray and she was very nice and did come straight back and gave it a good clean.
The rest of the visit was pleasant, the young waitress was very cheerful and polite and attentive.
Since I couldn't have the jackfruit I went for the pancakes with veggie bacon (vbites cheatin' rashers I believe). They were lovely and my baby enjoyed them too and the waitress asked if I'd like a plastic plate for my little one, and brought over a child's plate and fork, which was appreciated as I could then easily share the pancakes with her.
The berries along with veggie bacon was an odd combination, but it did work, although some of the berries were indeed very frozen, I'm not sure if they were meant to be? I think it would have been better if they had been warmed.
The hot chocolate was lovely .
Unfortunately it completely slipped my mind to buy some cake to take home.
In summary, it's definitely somewhere I would visit again, if only to sample the jackfruit burger and some cake. I am optimistic that as time goes on the service will improve as this is still a very new venture and I expect they are still 'finding their feet'.

Pros: Nice food, reasonably priced, Dog friendly (you can bring dogs in), Attentive staff (other than re the high chair!)

Cons: Didn't offer to bring a high chair over for me, Bit characterless/basic. Needs some decor, Not much choice of food on Sundays (yet)

KatieHartley 30 Aug 2017 - Hi Sam,

Thank you for your 4* review! I'm glad you enjoyed your pancakes! We do use frozen berries for pancakes here (it does say so on the menu), as fresh ones in the first week tended to get a bit too mushy with how hot the pancakes were.

I can only apologise for you receiving no help upon arrival to get a high chair and for it not being clean, I have mentioned this to the girls who were working and it won't happen again. I myself understand how hard it can be juggling a baby, a bag and trying to sort a highchair out! I'm very sorry about this.

We are working on how to be able to make the main menu available alongside the breakfast menu on a sunday - but we are so limited with space in the kitchen! It is a plan for the future though. I hope you manage to come back and try the BBQ Jackfruit, it would be lovely to see you and your little one again :)

Thank you for your comments re: the decor, we have added flowers and more prints but have mainly chosen to keep it quite simple and industrial with future floods (eek!) in mind.

All the best and thank you again,

Delightful - Edit

Just eating a fabulous full English in this buzzing little vegan café. Will be back on a regular basis 😁

Pros: All vegan

KatieHartley 30 Aug 2017 - Thank you very much, Jansky7!

Hope to see you again soon,

Return to Hebden Bridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Humblest of Pleasures closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.