Hum Vegetarian - Vo Van Tan

Contact 839303819

32 Vo Van Tan, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam,

Upscale lounge and vegetarian restaurant with several locations. An elegant oasis escape in the middle of the city in HCMC business district, walking distance from War Remnants museum. The varied menu includes many raw food dishes and details the health benefits of ingredients used in English. Staff speak English.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Fusion, Vietnamese

First Review by ShiraM

Excellent service, quality, and presentation! - Edit

Truly a 5-star experience. Beautiful interior, upstairs and down. Super friendly staff, explained many of the dishes to us. Not as many vegan options as I would have liked, but server recommended off menu item of mushroom and tofu stew, which was perfect. Also loved square spring rolls.

Pros: beautiful dining experience

Cons: geared more towards vegetarian, than vegan

a culinarily adventure w/ great service and friendly staff - Edit

Delicious, healthy food with loads of flavors . A good choice of different rice to go with. The waitresses speak English and are professional. The second floor is decorated with colorful curtains.

Pros: delicious food, staff speaks English, good atmosphere

Above expectations. - Edit

A very cozy vegetarian restaurant right next to war remnant museum. Makes it a perfect place for lunch when the museum is closed.

Waiting staff was really nice and asked if we could eat egg. Vegan items are marked in the menu. Prices are decent. Payed about 140.000 per person for lunch.

Pros: Lots of options. A queit refuge from the busy str

delicious - Edit

We loved the food here - so much to choose from! Helpful menu and staff. We came at a quiet time around 3-4pm. The avocado smoothie was delicious. We ordered one appetizer - the fresh spring rolls, they were so fresh! And came with a good sauce and interesting pickled ginger, chili and lemongrass. We got 3 for the price of 2 juices. And two mains. One curry with Vietnamese potatoes and the other oyster mushrooms in a green apple sauce - super tasty and interesting textures! It was one of the most expensive meals we have had here. Next time I probably wouldn't order so much as the bill came to 670,000dong (about USD$30) for two people. Very friendly staff, fancy place.

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, fresh and healthy

Cons: quite pricy for the budget traveler

Aaamazing! - Edit

Was so happy to find this restaurant in the heart of HCMC! Great menu, amazing selection, good prices and lovely presentation!
Definitely recommend to vegetarians and vegans :)

Pros: location , variety

mango sticky rice wins my heart!!! - Edit

We tried Hum... after a few days struggling to find good vegan food. The menu is easy to read with pictures, the staff are lovely, there's juice without sugar (not easy in Vietnam) and my favourite dish of all time mango sticky rice! Located right next to the war museum and a welcome respite from the bustling city!

Pros: lovely garden, mango sticky rice

best meal we had in Ho Chi Min City - Edit

We had the banana leaf salad (a tiny bit too spicy for us), the deep fried veggies, square spring rolls (amazing!) and the special crispy fried rice (best fried rice I've had ever, and I'm 42 years old!!).

Highly recommended oasis of calm and yumminess in a hectic city.

Wonderful! - Edit

Hum is such a tranquil place and the staff are just beautiful. They accommodated to our vegan requirements and served us delicious plant based dishes. They even offered to call us a cab at the end. We ate delicious mushroom spring rolls, a coconut and jicama clay pot and a fermented bean tofu dish. To die for!

Elegant and zen dining combined - Edit

Vegan/vegetarian eating is normally associated with no nonsense slap up good and healthy food. In Chi Minh I have learned to experience a more refined vegan /vegetarian form of dining. Hum offers food that obviously passed through the hands of culinary artists. Every plate is a beautiful thing look at. One can tell that much love and care are given to each and every dish served. We are a family of very hungry 4 people when we got in for late lunch. We ordered vegan fried rice, pineapple fried rice, stir fried morning glory, 2 fresh spring roll, rice noodles, an omelette, phad thai, mangoes with sticky rice, 2 ginger mojito, bottle of water a can of 7up and our bill totalled to just under 1M VND (45US $). We won't get fine dining experience for 1 with that amount in the west. The servers are efficient and helpful. The lady who served us speaks English. Therefore we are able to explain how and what we want with our orders. A couple of times we were asked if everything was OK. At the end of our meal an elderly gentleman (perhaps the manager or owner) checked if all were ok. We can only tell him how full up we were and happy with our food.
This restaurant is right next to the Remnants of War Museum (main entrance gate).
it looks like a house from the outside and a zen garden with water features welcome guests as they walk in. Al fresco dining under a parasol is available.

Our kids liked their food so much they walked there last night for dinner.

Pros: relaxed eating atmosphere

Cons: If one is backpacking across HCMC this could be o

Clean eating at its best - very welcoming to tourists - Edit

Visited today after a trip to the War Remnants Museum as its pretty much next door. I'm a young female solo Western traveller and was met by a very friendly waiter. The interior was lovely and very clean, the outside traffic only a murmur and a peaceful garden area to sit in. I had the spring rolls which were actually raw and vegan. They were so fresh and came with a spicy dipping sauce. Felt like it was all just goodness going into my body. I had Pad Thai after (though they pretty much arrived at the same time) which consisted of noodle, egg, spring onions, bean sprouts and tofu. Simple but very delicious. I had an icy lemon cooler drink which was so refreshing and thirst quenching. Friends had told me to bring USD to Vietnam but so far everything has been Dong. The manageress at the restaurant allowed me to pay in USD and gave me the going rate in terms of both conversion and change. Would highly recommend this lovely restaurant for the food and service.

Elegant place, pretty good food - Edit

I have read many positive things about Hum, so decided to go with my parents when they came to visit HCMC.

Elegant and peaceful place, with good quality food. I like that the juice section of the menu has a description of the health benefits of the different juices. I had a tofu dish with egg, cinnamon and various spices - it was a very interesting combination of flavours and my parents were both satisfied with their meal.

It is perhaps a little pricey, but the quality of the food is good and you are paying for the peaceful atmosphere, too. I was expecting something really spectacular after reading various reviews, and whilst it was good, I didn't think it was phenomenal and there are other places I'd choose in the city over Hum.

I
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 31, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday July 31, 2014

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Extensive menu, High quality food

Cons: A bit pricey

high class vietnamese vegetarian food - Edit

we took a number of different starters, main courses - tasty, fresh, good service and nice relax atmosphere !(but - sometimes- too much spicy, oily).

Pros: service, atmosphere , food

Cons: spicy, oily

A Very Elegant Place - Edit

Relative to its surroundings. This restaurant is a real gem. It is a proper restaurant. It's quiet, elegant, skilled staff, beautiful menu, fine decor, and a soothing ambience.

The food is presented beautifully. No detail is too minor. The prices are not really much different than anything else around here (about US$3 for an entree), so despite its outward appearance and character, the price should not prohibit even the most budget-conscious traveller from enjoying a meal here.

The taste is great. It's not mind-blowing, but it definitely on pat with the price. I've had street food that tasted better, but it didn't come with a peaceful and secluded atmosphere and attentive wait staff.

Definitely give it a shot. There's no reason not to.

Well-presented, classier restaurant - Edit

A short walk from the War Remnants Museum, Hum felt perfect for lunch after visiting the Museum as they've created a really peaceful setting with a tall wall to dampen street noise and water features to soothe diners.

Indoor or outdoor seating is available. Although many parties seemed to have booked tables we were able to get one right away without a booking.

The menu was in English and had a huge section on drinks. I found the comments about the supposed health-giving properties of the ingredients a bit irritating but I guess some people are into that kind of thing - I'd rather a menu told me whether stuff was vegan or not ...

Our server was able to say whether the dishes we liked the look of were vegan, or could be made vegan and was patient while we chose a replacement for a dish that turned out to be contaminated with dairy somehow (obvs it would have been simpler to have symbols on the menu). There didn't seem to be a massive choice of main courses, but we enjoyed what we had and were able to have a dessert for once, a posh version of mango with sticky rice.

Everything was beautifully presented and fresh tasting. We felt refreshed afterwards by the setting and change of pace as well as the food.

Pros: Peaceful setting, Easy to find, Presentation and service

Cons: Have to ask what's vegan, Annoying health claims on menu, Not 100% vegan

Hum @ 2 Thi Sach Street D1 and 32 Vo Van Tan D3 - Edit

These two are clones and as a much travelled vegan, I was knocked out by the decor, service and the dishes are something to behold. Each we ate were well presented 'nouveau'style. Extensive fresh juice list. As the previous writer commented it is ovo-lacto. But does serve raw and vegan. It is more expensive than Loving Huts and elcheapo buffet 'mock-fake' meats places but your paying for quality and excellent service.

Pros: great raw and vegan selection, ambience and decor, service

My first taste of vegan Vietnam - Edit

Eating at Hum Vegetarian was my first taste of vegan food in Vietnam and it did not disappoint. We went for an early lunch and thoroughly enjoyed their crunchy, fresh spring rolls and diep rolls to start, the first time I had tasted spring rolls any other way but fried. I chose the tofu in spicy sauce for my main along with the gingko soup. The spicy sauce was super tasty but the deep-fried tofu was a little bit soggy, the soup was light and refreshing.

The menu details the health benefits of all the foods on offer and the restaurant itself is clean, elegant and a lovely little veggie haven. My English boyfriend and male Kiwi friend, neither who are vegan, also thoroughly enjoyed their food although portion size was a little on the small side for them. The food and drinks are more expensive than other veggie restaurants in the city but it's definitely worth a visit.

On a side note, I wish I had gotten a soya latte whilst there as soya milk has not yet made its way to coffee shops in Vietnam, however, I now have a new love for Vietnamese hot black coffee with its rich, chocolately notes. Do beware of civet coffee, primarily directed at tourists, which is made from the seeds of coffee berries force fed to intensively farmed civets and collected from their waste. PETA Asia did an investigation into the cruelty of civet coffee in 2013 if you want to find out more: http://action.petaasiapacific.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=110&ea.campaign.id=22769

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Easy to find, near War Remnants Museum

Cons: Not for budget travellers

very good restaurant - Edit

We visited both Hum - restaurant at Thi Sach and Cafe at Vo Van near War Museum. Cafe is small but better for service, taste and atmosphere.
Love this place, take fruit smoothies and pineapple fried rice.
Not super, but straight very good.

Pros: location, atmosphere, price

Cons: no have soy milk

What a gem! - Edit

Hum was wonderful! There are actually 2 branches and we visited the one near the Renaissance Hotel. Large English menu, pictures available, staff will explain any questions. The atmosphere was also lovely; I went here 2 nights in a row. I'm not sure why some reviewers said the portions were small; I live in Asia and found the sizes to be more than sufficient, though I wouldn't call them 'large'. I had curried mushrooms steamed in a coconut, which was amazing! My friend had the pineapple fried rice which was 1 of the best I've ever had. We also tried 1 of the hot pots which was very good, although if you prefer a spicier dish then you may find the taste to be too mild. Definitely worth trying if you're in Ho Chi Minh.

Pros: large, diverse menu, fresh ingredients, helpful staff

Cons: may be sold out of some items

Seriously good - Edit

This was the best food we had in our entire trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. Interesting menu (with pictures to help you understand the different and original fare on offer), tasty food, gluten free options available, friendly helpful staff and a great atmosphere. They have opened up a second restaurant a short walk from the river-front - where the food is just a good but the atmosphere a bit less so.

A Gem in HCMC - Edit

Excellent restaurant and a little gem. English is fluent among staff and the design and decor is very attractive. The menu is well presented with a wide choice of vegan and vegetarian foods and drinks. Dinner for 2 was about 30 dollars. Would highly recommend this restaurant. ...for couples its romantic.

Pros: Decor, Menu, Staff

Beautiful place - Edit

The setting and atmosphere at this restaurant is wonderful; a very peaceful oasis right in the heart of the hustle and bustle of the city. The food was delicious - they have a great range and it is decently priced given the beautiful setting. Slightly nervous and over-attentive service, as another reviewer has mentioned, but they were very friendly and accommodating and it did not spoil what was a very enjoyable lunch.

Pros: Delicious food, Great location, Beautiful setting

Cons: Over-attentive service

Great restaurant. - Edit

I ended up here because I mistakenly thought it was vegan (Happy Cow was down), but most dishes are vegan, it appears.

As far as Vietnam goes, it isn't the cheapest and the servings are small, but it is fine dining. The staff and friendly and (for my taste, over-)attentive. Service was quick, and the food presented well and very tasty. Will likely go back again.

Pros: Friendly staff, High quality

Cons: Small serves

This place is beautiful - Edit

Set back from the noisy street, there are 2 lovely wood dining pavilions and an open air patio filled with fountains, statues and art. You immediately know you have found a special place. The menu is large, the food is delicious. We loved the fried spring rolls and the pad thai was excellent. Yes, it is more expensive than typical veg places in HCMC, but the ambiance, presentation and service make it worth a special visit.

Pros: Aesthetically lovely, Delicious, Good central location in District 3

Cons: None, really.

Good food, too expensive - Edit

Food was good but not worth the extra money. About twice the price of other veg places in the city. Also, NOT VEGAN. Staff speaks little English so a bit difficult to determine what was actually vegan. When the served our vegetables they said they had been cooked in "oyster sauce." When we became very concerned about this they said it was imitation oyster sauce made from soy. We believed them and ate it. Great location, down the block from the War Remnants Museum.

Pros: good location

Cons: not vegan, expensive

Decent Food, Service needs Tweaking - Edit

We had a pad Thai which was pretty good, a little heavy on the egg very small portion. The pineapple fried rice had a nice curry flavour and lovely presentation in a whole pineapple but again small portion. The square fried spring rolls were excellent. I think overall this place looks lovely and the food is good but for the price the service does need a bit of tweaking. The dishes arrived one long after the other. We ordered a lemon juice that I had to ask for twice. It didn't arrive until we had finished the meal. It was far too sweet so I sent it back with apologies. When the new one arrived it was just as sweet and i couldn't drink it. Because we had already finished our meal I didn't want them to bother with trying to fix it again. I asked them to remove it from the bill which they did without a hassle.

Pros: lovely atmosphere, good presentation

Cons: small portions , a bit pricey

Peaceful Oasis in the Heart of Saigon - Edit

We were delighted to find Hum restaurant - after a couple of false starts, in Ho Chi Mingh City, trying to find other vegetarian restaurants (which had unfortunately closed down). It is an absolute oasis in the middle of this hot and bustling city - hidden just a few doors along from the popular War Museum (there's a sign in English on the wall outside).

The setting is cool, leafy and tranquil and the food is out of this world - we had delicious chilled juices with our lunch of fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls, Spicy Tofu and rice and we were hardly finished our meal before we were planning to return to try out the rest of the menu.

Over the four days we were in Saigon, we returned every day to try different dishes and can report that everything we tried was outstanding: red curry, mushroom salad, papaya salad, mango with sticky rice. We can recommend the tasty cocktails too.

The restaurant clearly aims to be a fine dining experience, but seemed to us to be very good value for the standard of the food - portions are not huge, but reasonably sized - especially compared to some other more run-of-the-mill restaurants we tried (eg similarly priced to canteen-style restaurant Ngoc Linh). (NB I notice that the prices were considerably cheaper than a previous reviewer noted - perhaps the management has revised the menu?)

We can definitely recommend seeking out Hum restaurant, if you are visiting Saigon.

Pros: Delicious flavors, beautifully presented, Attentive, friendly service, Tranquil, comfortable setting

Cons: Smoking area in garden - avoid!

Great little veg place! - Edit

I loved this restaurant. It is right by the War Remnants museum, but it feels a world away. It is a bit pricier than most other veg places in the city (avg. 80,000VND per entree), but still a bargain. The portions are not huge, but every entree I tasted was amazing and beautifully presented. It is in a garden setting, extremely peaceful.

Pros: Great Food, Great setting, Location

Cons: prices

Return to Ho Chi Minh City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hum Vegetarian - Vo Van Tan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4009 times since Jan 2013.