Hui Liu

Contact 2392-6707

9, Lane 31, Yung Kang Street, Da-an District, Taipei, Taiwan,

Name in Chinese is 回留蔬食. Long-time operating teahouse serving desserts. Nice, traditional Taiwanese teahouse atmosphere with lots of decorative teapots and natural building materials. Fine green teas. Little park with shady trees in front. Near Da-an park, YongKang park and YongKang night market. No main meals. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Taiwanese

First Review by linjamie

Cute restaurant, good food - Edit

In an area with not a lot of veggie choices, this restaurant is a little oasis in the Da'an area.

There is a pleasant outdoor seating are but on a chilly night there is also a lot of tables and space inside. The menu is a little limited and they offer it in both Chinese and English.

There are about 5 choices of main course and you can either have them just a meal or as part of a set. Prices are moderate, with the single meal between NT250-300 and about NT150 extra for the set.

I opted for the set and had a small bowl of tasty veg soup, two pieces of pumpkin, two pieces of tofu then my main dish of sesame noodles with a lots of greens and sprouts. It was tasty and my friend had the pasta dish which was 2 large sheets of pasta in sauce with vegetables. Dessert consisted of a tiny piece of banana bread and three small pieces of fruit. This came with tea.

Though the portions weren't huge, I was well satisfied at the end of the meal.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Tasty, Value set

Cons: A little pricey, Smaller portions, Limited menu

Nice little veggie teahouse - Edit

Here's my Hui Liu teahouse and veggie restaurant review for Happy Cow.

It's a lovely teahouse space, with lots of wooden furniture and teaware as decor. Out front there is a nice little covered patio with seating. The restaurant is located on a peaceful park square where the locals sit around and hangout. Large trees give the grounds lots of shade.

The inside is cozy and quiet. The other diners seemed contented to be brewing and sipping on Chinese green teas.

My set meal comprised a soup, small salad/appetizer, a rice bowl with lightly cooked veggies, a fruit and orange jello plate, and a light tea. Portions were small but very beautifully presented. Food tasted good.

My husband had a sesame sauce noodle with fresh sprouts, and that was excellent. Not cheap but very good.

Pros: mellow rustic ambiance, tasty food

Cons: a bit pricey

An oasis in Taipei - Edit

Was back here recently and it's still really good! The place hasn't changed much in the past 5+ years, but it's been kept up nicely and is now very popular with Japanese tourists. It's a special place in Taiwan and is worth a visit.
Prev review: I lived all over Taiwan for more than a few years and this place left a great impression in my mind. It's special for it's ambiance, live music, pottery, and simple yet beautiful food. When I was there it was a mix of Korean and International cuisine. Although it was a bit pricey for Taiwan, I always left feeling that it was worth it.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 25, 2006

Pros: Nice setting, Clean food

Cons: hard to find, pricey

One Suprise too Many - Edit

Must have a sophisticated gourmet palate to enjoy the very odd assortment of tastes in a single dish. The green tea was great. Skip the set, one of the side dishes that came with mine was green tea sorbet atop a tomato relish of some sort.

Pros: Green Tea, Ambiance

Cons: Food

tranquil setting and fresh food - Edit

we go to hui liu every time we are in taipei. the restaurant setting is tranquil and beautiful. it is right next to a small park. this makes outdoor dining possible, which is rare in taipei. it is truly an oasis in a bustling city. we recommend the pocket salad and the sesame noodles. the food is always fresh and a lot healthier than food served at most other vegetarian restaurants in taipei.

Favorite Vegetarian Restaurant in Taiwan (so far) - Edit

My partner and I have tried many vegetarian restaurants and this is the only place where we have found dishes with lots of fresh leafy veggies, nuts and lentils. There are also ravioli dishes, a really nice pasta salad, healthy pizza bread, delicious soups and some really nice desserts. This is our favorite vegetarian restaurant in Taipei so far, not just for the nice food, but also for the brilliant atmosphere. We also have a small dog and can sit out on the courtyard overlooking the park with our dog in the nice spring/fall months. The menu is in English. We go here about once a fortnight. Just one tip - Often many dishes on the menu are not available. Make sure to ask what is available before you get too excited about a meal!

Pros: Great Location, Great Atmosphere, Great Food

it's a cultural experience! - Edit

One thing that I really like the restaurant is its setting (right next to YongKang park). The restaurant itself is like teapot museum! I like the decoration and the nature feeling. There's also outdoor sitting.

As for the food, I think it's not super super amazing but it is still good. They have English menu as well. Many dishes are quite western so there are many cheesy dishes (but they have quite a few options for vegans too). The menu also changes often.

One of the famous night markets is YongKang Street ("永康街"- famous for shaved ice, Taiwanese desserts, etc)so if you are in the area, go check it out!

Pros: Location, setting, western crusine

Cons: a bit pricy

Return to Taipei Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hui Liu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4728 times since Aug 2007.