Hugo's - West Hollywood

Contact 323-654-3993

8401 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, California, USA, 90069

Serves meat, vegan options available. Same menu as other Hugo's in the LA area, it's vegetarian and vegan friendly. Has a vegan carbonara, vegan mac and cheese, veggie burger that can also be added to spaghetti, and marinated tofu. Organic eggs, beans, rice. Full service bar. Tranquil design with fountains and mountain view. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan

Disappointing breakfast - Edit

My partner and I were staying just a couple blocks down the road and decided to come here for a weekend breakfast after reading all the rave reviews on Yelp, but we were both underwhelmed by the whole experience. First, service was a bit slow. It was only around 9 o'clock and not even that busy yet, but we had to wait a good 20 minutes for our order to arrive at the table. We got the almond energy pancakes and a vegan huevos rancheros, both of which were mediocre at best. The pancakes were sloppy, too browned, and looked much tastier on the menu than they actually were. The huevos rancheros were alright, nothing to write home about. Prices were definitely too high for this quality of food and service. I did like that they offered such a large menu for people with different dietary restrictions, but unless you have staunch carnivores among you, I wouldn't recommend this place.

Pros: menu selection

Cons: slow service, pricey for what you get

great service - Edit

Finally ate at the WeHo location after the LA Pride parade. They were obviously busy and with nearly a dozen vegans in the group, we had to wait awhile, but once seated, we had excellent service from our waitress. Plenty of water and cocktails all around. Also, patience while we decided on what to order and she had no problem splitting the bill for each person. Very accomodating. The food we ordered was great. We got all specials. The mole chocolate pancakes were delish as was the plato del alma. The best part was the flan though. Great texture and taste topped off with a coconut cream. Yum! Everyone there couldn't have been nicer about accomodating our large party during a very busy day.

Pros: lots of vegan options, great service

Cons: serves meat and dairy

Poor service, poor food - Edit

I told the host at the door "two" and he asked me to hold on while he brought someone else to their table. A few minutes went by but he didn't emerge. A hostess walked up and asked if I had been helped, so I said, "I think so...", and chuckled. She said, "You either have or you haven't", then walked away with another party to seat them. WOW #1 After I was taken to my table by the guy, the server came to the table, said hello, and asked if we had been to Hugo's before (no) and if we had special dietary preferences (yes). I told her my daughter and I are vegans. She spent a few minutes explaining the menu, telling us the triangle next to each item means it's vegan, etc. We ordered the Vegan Mac & Cheese for a starter and the Lentils & Leafy Greens Burrito for an entrée. We sat and waited 15 minutes with empty water glasses before the macaroni came out. When it did, I looked at it, sniffed it, poked at it with a fork, & then called the server over. "Is this vegan?", I asked. "No it's not, I thought you ordered the Traditional Macaroni & Cheese." WOW #2 We JUST told her we were vegans and she went over the vegan menu with us. We then waited 10 minutes before the Vegan Mac & Cheese came out. It was a weird, greenish colour and was mostly peas, mushrooms, and onions. Huh? That's macaroni & cheese?! It didn't taste very good at all, like an Indian dish gone wrong, and it reminded me of something you'd make from a box, like a Casserole Helper-type meal. We then asked the server if the rolls were vegan. She said, "Uh, hmm, yeah." Ten minutes later she asked if we needed anything (she had yet to bring out the rolls), so I reminded her about the rolls by saying, "Are the rolls vegan?". She then asked a guy from the kitchen walking by (carrying giant Campbell's cans - cheap ingredients for such expensive food), and he said, "Yeah", so she brought us two a few minutes later. Our burrito came out looking okay. We got the homemade chips as the side. I tried the chips and was letdown in a MAJOR way. They looked good but were inedible. Some were still soggy. The only flavour they had was a 'burnt' taste. I cut into the burrito & was disgusted by how soggy it was. Everything inside just oozed out. We didn't eat it but asked for it to go. When the bill came it had the Traditional Mac on there, then was removed. Printed on the receipt, the reason said: "Changed Mind". WTF? I didn't change my mind, YOU brought me the wrong food! WOW #3 I paid, left, and will NEVER return.

Pros: Ample, free parking, Many vegan options, Decent location

Cons: Rude, forgetfull waitstaff, Lack of knowledge about veganism, Poor tasting, expensive food

Celeb Veg Spot, great white table cloth dinner - Edit

I had read about Hugo's in several articles of various Los Angeles's Celeb's veg eating hot spots. Though I didn't get to see any on my visit the food more than made up for it. I had the healthy mung bean burrito and it was fantastic. Exactly what I was in the mood for, but my girlfriend got some vegan casserole that was off the chart with vegan cheese on top. They toss on the white table cloths at night and it turns into a really nice candle lit place.

Pros: vegan friendly, celebs

Return to West Hollywood Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hugo's - West Hollywood closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1715 times since Sep 2008.