Hugo's Restaurant - Studio City

Contact 818-761-8985

12851 Riverside Dr, Studio City, California, USA, 91607

Serves meat, vegan options available. Same menu as the other Hugo's in the LA area, it's vegetarian and vegan friendly. Curried carrot soup, vegan ceasar salad, mung bean burrito, hummus wrap, black bean quinoa burger pattie, marinated tofu. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Open Mon-Fri from 7:30am, Sat from 8am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Non-veg

First Review by kyvegan

Only have one complaint - Edit

They have excellent food and many vegan options, very friendly/attentive staff, excellent service.

My only complaint is that they don't serve organic potatoes.

Read this link for more info re: potatoes!

Pros: vegan/vege friendly, Attentive cheerful staff

Cons: potatoes not organic

Perfect for picky eaters - Edit

You can customise almost everything, which is great for picky eaters or groups with different lifestyles (omnivore, vegan, gluten-free).
The food is delicious, the staff super friendly and the portions are huge.
100% would recommend to everyone!

Pros: many vegan options, friendly staff, pretty affordable

Cons: none

Lovely Evening - Edit

We shared Cuban Style Croquettes, a house salad, vegan Pasta Victor and vegan Green Tamale Plate. Everything was good, especially the Green Tamales. Vegan options are clearly marked. Service was good, wine was good! They have parking too.

Pros: Good food, Good service

Fresh, good food for everyone - Edit

Hugo's has a large, varied menu that works for people with any and all dietary habits, with is a real pleasure! Their food is fresh and delicious, and they work hard to accommodate their patrons. If you go during traditional meal times, you may find the noise level challenging, and you will likely have to wait for a table - which are the only 'negatives' I'd say about the place. We eat there whenever we can!

Pros: Varied menu with flexibility, Fresh, local foods, Lots of healthy options

Cons: Noisy, Likely have to wait for table

Something for Everyone! - Edit

I love this restaurant very much!! I've been a customer for years; and have been to all but one of their locations. The thing I love best about Hugo's is that there is always something delicious for everyone. I am the only vegan of all my family & friends, so choosing a restaurant that everyone can agree on is challenging at times. However, every time I've invited them to Hugo's, everyone has loved their food.
I personally love to order the vegan macaroni & cheese every time I go. You can't go wrong with it. The Very Green Casserole is very delicious as well. I didn't enjoy the vegan Shepherd's Pie as much. The Green Tamales are good, but a little too sour for my personal taste. Their selection of teas are great, hot or cold.
I like the decor of all the locations. The staff is very friendly, & usually good at giving suggestions if asked. Overall, it's a great restaurant that everyone, veg & non-veg, will agree on!

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Various locations

Cons: Can be very busy at times

Hugo's Rocks - Edit

Extensive Vegan & gluten-free options. My favorites are the create-a-plate with beans, steam veggies & grilled tofu. Salads are huge & Hugo's offers oil free dressings. Great place for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Pros: Healthy Cuisine, Good Food, Friendly Staff

Great place for a nice sit down meal - Edit

I've been going to Hugo's for years now, and ever since I became vegan they've stayed one of my favorite places. Their menu is very accommodating for vegans and always delicious and healthy. Also try their taco stand across the street!

Hugo's Menu is Veg-Friendly - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and came by for a lunch meal one time. Here's my Hugo's Restaurant Studio City review.

The atmosphere is very laid back, and it seemed quite popular with the locals during our visit.

Hugo's menu is vegetarian and vegan friendly. There were many choices from breakfast to lunch foods and main entrees. But I wasn't sure (and did not ask) if the kitchen separated the meat from the veg stuff... that's the dilemma I have with eating at non-veg restaurants.

The veg main meal dish prices range from approx $10 to 14. My husband and I shared the Kelp Noodle Salad and the Very Green Casserole. He liked the salad because it was light, but I didn't like it. The dressing/flavors confused me--not distinct nor interesting. He did not like the casserole, but I thought it was tasty. The casserole looked brown and unpleasing but had good flavor. I wouldn't order it again, though.

I would return to Hugo's again, the next time I'm in the area, to try the other veg menu items.

Super vegan friendly and delicious! - Edit

Hugo's has been one of my favorite restaurants since before I went veg. And still it remains. Although an omnivorous restaurant, they are super vegan-friendly and seemingly getting more so all the time. Of course, you want to be explicit about being vegan, but all the wait staff is well-trained on what vegan means and most of the dishes are veganizable if not already totally vegan. I have never had a bad meal at Hugo's, both brunch and dinner. I would give five stars if Happy Cow would let me. **begin diatribe** Frankly, as a vegan, I see no reason why we punish vegan-friendly restaurants that also serve meat when ovo-lacto places can be rated as highly as vegan joints when many of them are not remotely vegan-friendly -- seem arbitrary when you know the realities of the egg and dairy industries). **end diatribe**

Anyway, Hugo's is fantastic and I recommend it highly.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 21, 2010

Pros: Excellent, excellent food, Super vegan-friendly, Healthy

Cons: Good parking

very vegan friendly - Edit

Dirk has gone several times to Hugo's with friends, co-workers, etc., but this was my first time even though I've been meaning to for years! We arrived at 1pm for our reservation and we didn't have to wait at all to be seated (next to Adam Carolla's table) although there was a line outside the door. It was extremely busy and the parking lot was packed. Either make a reservation or come during off hours.

The menu is clearly marked with symbols of what is vegan or can be made vegan. There's a lot of choice, so I see why Dirk always picks to come here with non-vegans. We shared the vegan mac and cheese which comes with peas and mushrooms too topped with fried onions. It was good, but not the best I've had. I had the vegan carbonara pasta which had a creamy sauce and "bacon" with a little cup of cheese on the side. It was really tasty, but my plate originally came with dairy cheese, but after I noted it to the waitress, she apologized and quickly switched out the cup for one with Daiya instead. It's these sorts of things that make me nervous dining in non-vegan places. Also, there is a disclaimer on the menu that says while they try to separate the vegan items, they can't guarantee there won't be cross contamination. Anyways, Dirk had the vegetable burrito enchilada and it was HUGE! Dirk really liked all the different veggies in it. We were so stuffed by this point that we had no room for dessert.

While I prefer all vegan restaurants, Hugo's is very vegan friendly, the food is solid (although not spectacular), and the service was good. Definitely a good place to go with a group.

Pros: very vegan friendly, tasty food, good with non-vegans

Cons: busy and loud, serves meat, dairy and eggs

It Just Keeps Getting Better and Better! - Edit

I've been eating at Hugo's since they opened their doors in Studio City and I lived within walking distance. I now eat there at least once a week! They have made an effort in the past year to have even more Vegan/Raw options available and clearly marked on their extensive menu. ALL of their salad dressings have always been vegan and their ranch is the best I have ever tasted. Some of my favorite items on the menu are: their soup-of-the-day, especially their curried carrot and tomato bisque; the Vegan Cesar salad, the Mung Bean Burrito, the Hemp Hummus Wrap, their new American Veggie Burger (try it as a wrap with guacamole), and their Very Green Casserole. Save room for their decadent desserts, including a rich pumpkin pie with a uniquely chewy, cookie-like pecan and coconut crust that is large enough to share with 2 or 3 friends. A word about the service: they go above and beyond to make sure you have a great dining experience. They don't balk when you order things vegan, on-the-side, or just a little bit differently. Their specials change monthly, so don't miss out!

Pros: Delicious Food, Healthy Options, Large Portions

Hugo's - Edit

Hugo's has a nice selection of vegan menu items and they really understand what veganism entails. They often have vegan specials and vegan desserts in addition to the regular menu options. While a bit expensive, the portion sizes are huge and will certainly feed you for more than one meal, so it's well worth the price.

lots of vegan options--you just have to ask! - Edit

Much to my dismay, Hugo's retired the special Vegetarian Menu that they used to hand out as a supplement to their main menu. The good news is that they will still recreate most of their tasty vegan/vegetarian dishes upon request. I definitely recommend asking for the "eggs blackstone" (love that sauce!) made vegan. It's just a simple matter of substituting tofu for the eggs and veggie canadian bacon for the real thing. The restaurant still has all of their vegan ingredients, so don't be afraid to ask for substitutions. And they still offer a super yummy vegan soup daily! This is a great place to bring your omnivore friends and have options for everyone. Plus it has a cute patio and usually offers a nice selection of organic wines.

Pros: yummy food, lots of vegan options, great brunch menu

Cons: can't be shy about subs, can be a bit crowded

Return to Studio City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hugo's Restaurant - Studio City closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.