First Review by Freegan Reich

decent, but..... - Edit

Will try to make this as info-heavy as possible: Open from 10 to 7, they say. Got there at 2. There is no English menu, and no pictures, but you should be able to mime out a meal. As usual, the food was really greasy and really spicy, so try to know a way to ask for what you do and do not want. Anyway, the food was decent, and I went with another person making us the only 2 people in the restaurant even though it was a Saturday afternoon! The portions were big, but a bit pricey for what we got. I'd recommend taking your own drinks since they only have overpriced bottled stuff and do not offer water or tea! There were shirtless guys playing mah jiang and flies buzzing around. The atmosphere was not exactly service-oriented. However, I am not trying to be negative. The temple grounds are actually really amazing to see, and there are places to have picnics and what-not. If you packed some extras, this temple could be a really nice place to lunch, read a book, take photos, and spend an entire day. It was a really cool experience. I may go back. Also worth noting that it costs 15 kuai to get in the temple, unless you go to the right (there is a large gold Buddha), follow an out-of-the-way path, and then meander into the restaurant. This is how the locals do! Overall finding this place was a really cool experience, but it certainly isn't the first place I'd recommend.

Pros: decent portions , yummy fresh veggies , unmistakably Chinese atmosphere!

Cons: cigarettes , flies , bored staff

Return to Chongqing Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hua Yan Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 775 times since Aug 2009.