House of Vegetarian

• Vegetarian
Contact 212-226-6572

68 Mott St (at Canal & Bayard, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10013

Small place with an extensive menu of soups, appetizers, dumplings, noodle, rice, mock meat, and vegetable dishes. Over 200 items; seemingly all vegan.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by A.Z.P.

Rudeness is provided for free - Edit

Sep 8 2014 My wife and I went for late lunch. The waiter, a Chinese woman in her 40s was so rude and abrupt my wife offered the remark "You don't seem very happy" The grunt was the reply, and it went downhill from there. Tasteless corn soup, sweet and sour fish was fried in batter was oily. Fried rice bland and soggy, Mushroom and vegetable also lacking salt, taste, appearance. All up, a failure

Pros: location

Cons: Rudeness, Bland food

not good - Edit

the food was bad. service too. cash only.
if you like guessing at a huge menu and being yelled at when you ask reasonable questions, this place may be for you.

nothing was very good, it all just kind of 'was'.

Cons: greasy, staff, cash only

blah - Edit

If you're looking for good faux meat, go somewhere else! We ordered a variety of meats, and they were all squishy and hard to choke down. The beef was the only exception...just stay away from everything else!

Pros: large portions

Cons: squishy "meats", everything tastes fishy

Excellent choice for a vegetarian meal - Edit

This is a small, unpretentious place with tasty and decent food. The extensive menu has many possibilities. The staff was very accommodating; I wanted a low salt meal, they said they would put the sauce on the side. This worked perfectly. The portions were very large. Overall I would come here again - food was good, service helpful and fast. Atmosphere is down to earth.

Pros: excellent food, helpful, friendly staff, big portions

Highly disappointing - Edit

I'm vegan, and I have often eaten noodles and dumpling dishes in Chinatown. I wanted to try this all vegetarian restaurant, but was really disappointed by the lack of originality and flavor of the dishes. In addition, they had shark fin soup listed on the menu!!! Even though I was assured it was not meat, it still really bothered me to see it. The meal was way too expensive for what it was, and the service was lacking. Overall, I would rather go to a non-vegetarian restaurant than go to this one.

Pros: All vegetarian

Cons: Lacks flavor, Bad atmosphere, Shark fin listed!

Chinatown mainstay - Edit

The food here is pretty tasty, if not over healthy, and the portions are big and service is fast. The decor is not fancy by any means. When on jury duty, I have eaten here for lunch on a number of occasions (it is near the courthouses), and found it more than satisfactory.

Pros: good price, good food , good portions

Cons: not great food, bare bones decor, not particularly healthy

Huge portions, but you get what you pay for - Edit

I was a bit underwhelmed by this place. Staff were friendly and the service was lightening fast. But in my opinion the portions sizes and ridiculously cheap prices don't make up for the mediocre quality of the food. I ordered one of the "house specials", and was disappointed.

Pros: Huge portions, Nice staff

Cons: Food not great tasting, Not licensed, Greasy

Lot's of selections, OK food - Edit

This place certainly has a large selection of vegetarian dishes. The food was OK and the price was reasonable. If you need a quick take out and you want 100% vegetarian restaurant, you could grab a quick bite here.

Pros: Large selection, fast, cheap

Cons: OK food

Student friendly - Edit

I really liked House of Vegetarian, it is down to earth, cheap, huge portions and there are lots to choose from on the menu. I had spring rolls and fried noodles with vegetables, which was very good.
We never actually talked to the staff, but we were served tea (free) and water, when we came in and the service was quick.
The place has no atmosphere, but that doesn't matter since we both thoroughly enjoyed our meal and we would definitely come back.

Pros: good value

Cons: atmosphere

worst meal of my life - Edit

I've eaten at literally dozens of Chinese vegetarian restaurants and this meal was the worst I've had at ANY type of restaurant EVER. Rude waitress slapped down some of the nastiest vegan food I've ever had. One earlier re viewer's comment about them giving "no thought to presentation" was a gross understatement. This food was an inedible pile of thawed frozen carrots and peas in corn-starchy glutinous sauce. I guess it's possible that the chef was out with a last-minute family emergency and they couldn't find anyone to fill in for him...but beware!

Cons: terrible food, rude service, it still costs money!

The plain and simple king - Edit

House of vegetarian is by no means a fancy establishment. It is small, simple and generally quiet. It is also the best vegetarian Chinese food in New York. The Iron Steak is absolutely tantalizingly good in texture and sauce. For an appetizer i very strongly recommend a mix of the Hot Steak Kew, curry and sweet and sour glutens (a chinatown specialty). The portions here are enormous. When you order the spicy tofu the amount of tofu, vegetables and sauce you get is incredible. The prices are fair with entrees starting at 7 dollars. Ive eaten on and off here for about 15 years and I've never found the service here particularly friendly. House of Vegetarian is not a romantic or exotic place to eat, It is a clean quiet little restaurant in chinatown that doesnt attempt to provide atmosphere and gives little to no thought on presentation. House of Vegetarian instead concentrates on the quality of its food which is unsurpassed, which is why for the tastiest, most delicious and authentic Vegetarian Chinese meal in New york you have to go to House of Vegetarian.

Pros: Best Vege Chinese today PERIOD, Very large portions, Good value

Cons: No weekday lunch special, Lacking atmosphere, NO Kosher supervision

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has House of Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3493 times since Aug 2007.