House of Hunan

• Veg-friendly
Contact 410-266-1680

2311 Forest Dr Ste E, Annapolis, Maryland, USA, 21401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Predominately meat but has a section of vegetarian dishes made with soy-based mockmeats. Located in Giant Riva Festival Shopping Center.

Category: Ovo, Chinese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by IBeeJen

Best Vegan Chinese Food in the Area - Edit

Thanks to the one previous review, I tried House of Hunan (HH) last night and the experience was wonderful. What an understatement of just how good the food is in that review! Vegans and vegetarians should RUN, DON'T WALK to get to HH.

HH is doing everything from scratch from what I was told by the hostess. The chef sincerely cares about the food that comes out of his kitchen. It was apparent in the taste and quality of every bite of my dinner -- even the leftovers I had today were impressive.

From the regular menu, I selected the Vegetable Curl. It's actually a lettuce wrap dish for two. It didn't survive this one person it was so good. Two iceberg lettuce are filled to the brim with chopped veggies and soy curls (very similar in texture to chicken) in a light, sweet, and spicy sauce that still lingers on my mind. Definitely getting that again on my next visit.

If you're into mock chicken/beef the chef here knows his stuff because he's making it fresh, in house. I had the moo goo gai pan. The soy based "chicken" was so close to the real thing that I was in disbelief the entire time I was eating it. I am already planning to make another out-of-my-way trip to HH to try a "beef" dish. Apparently, the chef has worked tirelessly to perfect the mushroom-based recipe. The vegetables are fresh and perfectly prepared. The sauces are scratch-made, light, packed with flavor, distinctive to each dish, and just plain delicious!

There are other Chinese restaurants offering special vegetarian menus around the beltway, but in my experience they pale in comparison to HH. If I want creative vegan Chinese food, I'm heading straight to House of Hunan in Annapolis.

Pros: Vegan selections, Friendly, attentive, unobtrusive staff, Ice cream & fortune cookie ending

Tasty, affordable and friendly! - Edit

I'd been to House of Hunan once several years back and don't really recall much about the experience beyond them not being any different than most Chinese restaurants where I can likely get steamed veggies and rice.

Thankfully, I stumbled across a little review online that stated the restaurant had expanded their vegetarian menu. My husband and I decided to give them a try and were pleasantly surprised.

We were greeted quickly and cheerfully and the server was very good. They have an entire vegetarian menu in the back of their full menu with options including soy based mock chicken and mushroom based mock beef. They also offer brown rice. My husband ordered the orange 'chicken' and I ordered the 'beef' with broccoli. The portions are huge and we had leftovers for several days! It sure isnt health food, but it was darn tasty.

A week or so after that we returned with my entire family to celebrate a birthday. This time my husband ordered the General Tao's 'Chicken' and I ordered the 'Beef' with mixed vegetables. The food was even better the second time around!

To top it off, the serving staff was excellent, despite us having 11 people in our party and the rest of the restaurant staying busy. The manager spent quite some time helping out and bantering with us. The rest of my family ordered non-vegetarian items and were also very happy with their meals.

I will give one warning- don't get this restaurant confused with the House of Hunan in Cape St. Clair. I tried food from the Cape location in between my two visits to the Riva location and the food was VILE. I had to throw it out and was afraid I was going to get food poisoning it was so disgusting and undercooked.

Pros: selection, price, good service

Cons: not fancy, bar drinks are only 'ok'

Return to Annapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has House of Hunan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1436 times since May 2008.