First Review by MrsMaggie

Simple, accommodating, tasty - Edit

Nothing fancy here. Good, simple, salty Chinese food. :) Staff knew what vegan means, and was accommodating & friendly. Had a separate vegetarian menu (just ask for it) and they were able to point out the many vegan options. Chilled Sake was tasty too! A nice place to stop in during our week-long stay at Farm Sanctuary (just 20 min drive away).

Pros: large portions, good price, separate vegetarian menu (many vegan options)

Cons: no vegan desserts, fortune cookies are not vegan

Good food, worth a stop - Edit

Was just there one evening last week after leaving Farm Sanctuary. Was a short drive into town (btw Watkins Glen is absolutely darling in the fall). They have a separate vegetarian menu. Upon entering, it's true, the waiter girl had trouble understanding our English, and certainly didn't understand 'vegan'. However, it seemed the owner lady was nearby and came right over to help us out. Make sure you speak to her (or one of the owners) as they DO speak English and understand what is vegan. I'm not sure if everything on the vegetarian menu is vegan by default, or only veg (bcuz of fish sauces), but we did specify this to her no problem.
To the person in the review below: pad thai of ANY sort is NEVER vegan. It is always made with fish sauce and the sauce is almost always pre-made. Do not believe anyone who says otherwise, unless you are at a vegan only restaurant, or if the staff is very knowledgeable about veganism and tells you that they make pad thai sauce TO ORDER and will omit the fish sauce. This is rare though.
The food was just fine.. could have used a little sirracha IMO :P but it was priced just fine and hit the spot :]
They have tofu, vegan chicken (made from mushrooms) and I think vegan beef as well. We also got the miso soup which was a huge cup for $2 and super yummy. Large portions also. The owner lady really did do her best it seemed. The restaurant (and ladies bathroom) looked clean.
It was around 4 o'clock on a Friday and was the only affordable restaurant with vegan options open for dinner in Watkins Glen. Needless to say, we were pretty thankful to have eaten there.

Pros: open late, veg menu, decent chinese food

A word of caution... - Edit

PLEASE NOTE: the vegetable pad thai (on the "vegetarian" menu) is not vegan or vegetarian, it contains fish sauce. This restaurant isn't very knowledgeable about vegan diets and barely knowledgeable about vegetarian diets, so if you have any dairy, egg, or fish allergy it could be dangerous. We were visiting Farm Sanctuary and decided to stop for dinner. Ordering was a little difficult as the staff are non-native English speakers who seem unfamiliar with vegan. Also, they confused their dishes so we got the wrong food. We got the miso soup, tofu skin sushi, orange "beef" and broccoli, and chow mei fun. All were pretty average good, my favorite was the chow mei fun. I think there are better safer options in Watkins Glen, but this was pretty good.

Pros: Open late, Vegetarian menu*, Near Farm Sanctuary

Cons: Mislabeled vegetarian menu, Not vegan-knowledgeable, On-street parking

Excellent eggplant in garlic sauce! - Edit

My boyfriend and I went here for dinner while staying at Farm Sanctuary. I went in with low expectations but was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the eggplant in garlic sauce- it was delicious, and included many different types of well-cooked vegetables in addition to the eggplant. I appreciated that they had a vegetarian menu and the waitress even asked if we were vegan.

Pros: great eggplant in garlic sauce, accommodating staff, inexpensive

Cons: odd atmosphere, narrow selection

Nothing special - Edit

Staff were a bit rude, didn't enjoy answering our questions about veg options, oyster sauce, etc. The place was a bit run down and the food wasn't anything special. I would suggest trying other places in the Watkins Glen area before considering House of Hong.

Pros: Short drive from Farm Sanctuary, Veg options

Cons: Food isn't great, Service was not friendly

Wish there were more vegan options - Edit

Thankfully, there is a vegetarian menu, but this is a primarily non-vegetarian restaurant. We loved the sweet and sour tofu and the garlic broccoli!

Return to Watkins Glen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has House of Hong closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1119 times since Aug 2007.