First Review by OneChubbyVegan

HORRID - Edit

They lied about the rice being vegan. I specifically asked about butter and ghee several times and on my approximate 3rd visit there was a new employee who said it did have ghee. In the past they had said no ghee. I asked for a manager who confirmed it and I complained about the prior lies and he said it was only a little. Were i allergic I'd be dead; but they only care about getting your money.
We need to stick together and stop this type of fraud against us. Very very sad.
5 min. away are 3 good veggie places that don't lie: Dosa World, Rajbhog Cafe, & Chennai Dosa who don't lie. I suggest eating there.

Pros: Admitted lie when confronted

Cons: Lied about ingredients, Committed fraud, Didn't care about scam

Surprised - Edit

Found this place on the Happy Cow Android App. It was dark outside, and the neighborhood looked a little rough. Decided to go in, and I'm glad I did. Never had a Dosas before... In fact didn't even know what to order. The waiter helped me choose by asking what I liked,If I was a vegetarian, how Hot (spicy) I liked my food.
I ordered what he suggested and was very pleased.

I will eat here every time I return to Long Island...

Pros: Healthy, Friendly Staff

Bad area - Edit

I wouldn't suggest here, the area seems to be pretty iffy. After we had our so so dinner, my son and I walked out to something going down, 4 cop cars and an ambulance and the cops were searching a car parked right next to the restaurant. I left the area very quickly with doors locked!

The only good was the staff was very friendly. But the food wasn't very good. If you don't like cilantro, like me, then you won't like the "spices" and pretty much everything on the menu is spicy.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: lousy food, bad area

Watch out for the Spice! - Edit

Before our recent house hunting trip to Long Island, My fiancee' and I had researched vegetarian or veg-friendly restaurants and came across the House of Dosas. We were eager to try this restaurant and were excited that it was totally vegetarian. We ordered a somosa appetizer and then individual dosas. The portions are huge and do beware of that little 'spicy' notation on the menu - they do mean spicy! The decor is fairly minimal, but the staff was attentive, the food was tasty, and the portions were huge - go there prepared to eat!

Pros: Large Portions, Tasty , Easy to Find

Excellent food, excellent service! - Edit

My husband and I are vegan. We both grew up on Long Island, and then moved to Florida for 2 years. We just moved back to Long Island this week, and since being newly vegan (under 1 year) we wanted to try some authentic ethnic vegan food. Hicksville is a wonderful place to get authentic Indian food, and House of Dosas is no exception. The waiter was wonderful. He explained what was in everything, and never had to even write down that we do not take dairy. The Aloo Bonda (lentil dumpling w/ onion and potato) appetizer was big enough for 2 people (at only $3.95), and absolutely wonderfully flavored. My husband had the Mysore Masala Dosa (spicy crepe with onion and potato)and it was an extremely large portion for only $6.50. I had the Eggplant Curry (which has the same sauce/flavoring as Aloo Mattar but with eggplant instead of the potatoes and peas) and it came with a good portion of jasmine rice. It was excellent for $6.95. After dinner we had hot Indian tea and some lychee fruit. The decor of the restaurant really doesn't matter... from what I remember (I grew up in Hicksville) the restaurant used to be a Chinese food place or a pizza place. There isn't much you can do with that. And with the service and food, you don't need to. If you want a fancy Indian restaurant, there are plenty of others on Long Island. We had a 3-course meal for $28, and that doesn't happen with vegan and vegetarian food very often!

Pros: Good portions, Informative waitstaff, 100% vegetarian

Return to Hicksville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has House of Dosas closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1873 times since Aug 2007.