First Review by xjoefox

Not open - Edit

We tried to eat here and struggled to find it. When we eventually did it was to discover it was closed at 10am on a Monday. Not sure if this place is still open!! Try it and see?

It is on the second floor of a building. There are no signs out the front for Hourglass, instead there is a sign for Club Zion.

Cons: Not open

You MUST vist Hourglass it is EXCEPTIONAL - Edit

Awesome Fantasic Exceptional- where do I start. We visited Japan and were so glad to have the HappyCow App and even happier to visit Hourglass Cafe and meet Rinsuke. We honestly didn't want to leave. We spent breakfast, lunch and dinner there for the 3 days when we stayed in Nagoya. The Cafe is open for long hours and that is very rare in Japan especially to be open so early in the morning. We were so excited to try as much as possible on the menu. The food is heavenly and the prices are SO increadibly inexpensive. We LOVED everything we ate! We tried all the burgers and fell in love with the soy meat bowl and teriyaki chicken and of course the amazing fried cinnamon bread. I so wish I had Rinsuke cook for me when I first decided to go vegan because his soy meat dishes would have satisfied any craving I orignally had for meat. This guy deserves happiness and a succesful business because he is so dedicated and such a lovely person. I believe vegan in Japan isn't very popular after having many conversations with the owners of the vegan restaurants. I so wish this restaurant was in my home town :-(. Another thing I need to mention is that we were heading to Hakone just after Nagoya and the area didn't have many vegan options noted in HappyCow so we ordered takeaways which Rinsuke made with such care and love and once again it was exceptional even two days after. I can't rave enough about Rinsuke, his food and the cafe. The Cafe is a little hard to spot so make sure you use google maps and look for a set back little building with stairs located on the right side and head up to the first floor! This Cafe is a must on your list for Japan and one of the things I loved the most about our trip.

Pros: Exceptional menu and food, Fantastic staff (owner), Lovely friendly atmosphere

Cons: That Hourglass isn't in Australia :-(

Very delicious! - Edit

Before flying to Japan I was a bist afraid of finding something to eat. After some Research I through HappyCow I found Hourglass in Nagoya.

I ordernd the Lemon&katsu Burger, a small serving of Taco Noodles and a mint chocolate tea. My girlfriend ordered the Teriyaki Burger. After like 3 Minuten the weiter toll uns that they werde out of Taco Sauce. I ordered a noodle Soul instead.

The meal was fantastic. Tasting the Burger was like a new experience. Afterwards the weiter Talkes to us a bit and we taught ihm some german expressions.

The Food was realy cheap for ist quality but the servings are japanese sitze, so you should order two dishes if you are hungry. Unfortunately the it's really hard to find if you didn't inform yourself beforehand.

Pros: Really cheap, Delicious

Cons: Couldn't serve Taco dishes

Great Vegan Cafe Nagoya! - Edit

This cafe is amazing and has a great menu of Vegan options. My top recommendation is the Matcha Latte and a MisoKatsu Burger. The burgers are Japanese size but really cheap so I would recommend getting 2!

Pros: Great Range, Great Price, Awesome atmosphere

Vegan haven in Nagoya - Edit

This place is super cool and the food is amazing - really recommend the soy meat bowl and the hot soy chocolate. Not normally a fan of either but the chef's creations are just fantastic. Extremely well priced, long open hours, take away available, nice cosy atmosphere and so close to the subway (exit 4 Kamimaezu). Do yourself a favor and make coming here a priority when visiting Nagoya.

Pros: Delicious - everything. Plus all vegan!, Long open hours, So reasonably priced

cheap and cheerful - Edit

Since this place opened, I've been eating here almost weekly. The concept is vegan food without the common drawbacks of being expensive, and having to give up those meat dishes vegan converts will miss. The menu has many meat substitute dishes, each with a unique flavour. There're also many drinks including a matcha latte with a nice surprise at the bottom!

Great quality food, jaw-dropping value, and then there's the friendly owner who is happy to accommodate dietary needs! What more could a vegan in Japan want?

Pros: great value, delicious versatile menu, friendly staff

Not to my taste... - Edit

I have only gone here once, and tried a few dishes.
I did not like any of their food, but the soy latte was great.
Their teriyaki rice bowl tasted like Yoshinoya no gyudon (been a loooong time I tried the real one but tasted too close to a junk meat).

I would try this place again as it is near downtown and open for long hours.

Will update when I do visit again.

Pros: Location, Long hours

Cons: Food - not delicious, Atmosphere - Feels a bit dirty

yum - Edit

my new favorite restaurant in nagoya. the food is delicious and a really good price. one of few places in nagoya that is all vegan and has mock meat dishes. the teriyaki chicken was great.

Pros: all vegan, great value, delicious

Cons: limited weekend hours

Return to Nagoya Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hourglass closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2385 times since Oct 2015.