First Review by Veghead74

Uh, yeah! - Edit

I visited their location today because I happened to be in Fort Worth. It has been a couple of years or so since I was there. I was surprised to see that they have taken up a large portion of the building to the west. It used to be a VERY small space that they had. When I commented on how much space they had the employee told me that they now have an all you can eat lunch buffet with tamales, rice, beans, veggies, tortilla soup, sauce, and dessert for $12. I decided to eat lunch there instead of just taking my tamales home. OMG! I was worried about Vegan options, but the rice, beans, salsa, veggies and sauce were all vegan. They had vegan tamales in the buffet that were very good. The employee fixed up a tortilla soup without cheese for me. I can't tell you how good it all was! You should really go there, it can't be beat!

Pros: All sides are vegan., Soup is vegan if you ask for no cheese.

Good veg-friendly option - Edit

I discovered Hot Damn Tamales one day when Spiral Diner was closed and i fired up the the HappyCow app to check for a nearby alternative.

A small family business, run very well by a mother-son team, Hot Damn Tamales is an unusual find in Texas: tamales with vegan options and good flavor. On my visit in December 2012, the menu had more meat-free tamales than meaty ones, and there were two vegan choices. Both of the vegan tamales were really good, and i especially liked the poblano-corn one. I took some home to our omnivorous houseguests from Oaxaca and they were impressed, too.

I wish it were vegetarian-only, but at least they are genuinely veg*n-friendly, which is rare in Ft Worth, and they are super-friendly.

Note that some of the tamales are meant to be served either with salsa or something else to add some moisture, and they can be a bit dry if eaten alone. Ask the owner for serving suggestions.

There's parking both on the street and in the lot behind.

Pros: some vegan tamales, good flavor, very friendly owner

Cons: also serves meat

surprised - Edit

Used to Mexican food on the north side, I was so surprised to find a place that makes tamales without lard. Even more surprising is the large (especially for Fort Worth) selection of vegetarian and vegan fillings. I'm a big fan of all the fillings but the poblano corn and the mushroom/goat cheese are a must for me. Tamales come with generous servings of rice and black beans a large bowl of chips and salsa. You won't be leaving this place hungry. Order a Mexican coke.

I haven't had a chance to visit since the restaurant expanded the seating area but I've walked by and it looks fantastic! They really did a great job!

Service can be a little slow (don't be in a big rush) but friendly. My only real complaint is that their food can be very bland and some of the tamales are dry. Normally I'd just dump some salsa on a dry tamale but their salsa just doesn't "kick it up a notch". I suspect this is in part due to the fact that they focus more on shipping their product all over the place to areas where spicy food just isn't the norm. Still, I've never been disappointed with this lunch spot and I can't wait to try their new menu items. A grilled corn quesadilla is going to have my name on it soon!

Pros: no hidden lard, great tamale variety, mexican coke

Cons: bland for Texas

Amazing Tamales - Edit

MMMM! Soo good they have a clearly marked selection of vegan tamales. You can order them in a package frozen or have your choice of three along with a side of rice and beans for the tamale plate. We ordered the plate and ate our meal in their small three booth dining area which was nice. I will for sure go back again.

Pros: good food, descent pricing

Cons: not enough seating

Return to Fort Worth Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hot Damn Tamales closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2653 times since Aug 2007.