First Review by orangensaft

Probably the closest there is to a vegan friendly hostel in Bulgaria? - Edit

I nervously approached the counter and asked the staff member if anything was vegetarian and he informed me that in fact, two of the dishes were vegan - which was a reaction I certainly wasn't expecting!

(You also get a glass of beer with the food, but I assumed he wouldn't know about whether this was vegan or not and gave it to a friend).

Have to be honest though and say if you're a half-decent cook you could probably do a lot better at home, but who wants to cook on holiday. They also close off the kitchen while they're preparing it and aren't keen at all on guests entering the kitchen during this time - so it would be difficult to buy and cook your own food while staying here.

As for the rest of the hostel, I would definitely recommend. I enjoyed the activities I went on there and the rooms are clean and comfortable enough and it has a relaxed atmosphere. The breakfast (which you have to pay extra for - their website is a bit contradictory on this issue!) was also fairly vegan friendly with lots of fruit but no soy milk/vegan friendly margarine

Overall I know there are probably better places worldwide and this hostel does stop a way short of being *perfect* for vegans, but I've never stumbled across such a vegan friendly hostel before. And overall, veganism in Bulgaria isn't particularly easy and in general it is quite a nice hostel, so I thought Happy Cow users would like to know about this place (:

Pros: two vegan meal options, lots of fruit at breakfast, good hostel otherwise

Cons: would be hard if you wanted to cook your own food, the best vegan

Return to Sofia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hostel Mostel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.