Hortus

Contact +31-614547933

Anna Paulownaplein 3, The Hague, Netherlands, 2518 BK

Vegetarian restaurant with a relaxed yet stylish atmosphere, opened Mar 2015 in a trendy area of Den Haag. Uses natural ingredients. Open Tue-Fri 8:00am-10:30pm, Sat 9:00am-10:30pm, Sun 9:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Ovo, Organic, Western, European

First Review by KarinHuschka

Wonderful! - Edit

Even though this place has been open for more than a year now, we live in The Hague and are avid fans of good vegetarian restaurants, we were unaware that this place existed until now.

The food is based on Surinamese cuisine but with a European touch. All of it is vegetarian and much of it vegan. These guys really know how to cook.

The restaurant is a cosy looking place in a small square at the edge of the city center. It is not especially cheap but this is not a place for a quick snack. Hortus is a relaxed but (mildly) swanky place, with a wine list and proper napkins and everything. Go with a date or a good friend and take your time.

We had the chef's combo which consisted of four vegan dishes, which were all delicious. The quantity was huge for me and adequate for my husband.

This has been a wonderful experience and we will certainly be back.

Pros: Very high quality food, Friendly service

Classy - Edit

Went here with my coworkers. The (nice looking) place was about half full. It's a roomy place, so tables are quite far apart from eachother which is kind of nice.

The food we had was all good. Some stuff was absolutely great actually. I had the pom which was one of the best vegan thingsI've ever had in a restaurant. All plates looked really really nice too. This is actually cuisine and a level above regular vegetarian restaurants.

They have this thing now where they serve smaller dishes, so you should order about four dishes to have a full meal.

The only downsides were that all courses took long to arrive, we spent a total of three hours on our four courses, which was too long for us. Also the service was a bit weird. We had two people serving, one who was very professional, explained things about the wines and everything. The other one was very relaxed, didn't even mention they had different wines, and was a bit unclear about how many dishes to order. Normally things like that wouldn't really bother me much, but if your food is this good and you're obviously striving for a high level restaurant experience the service should reflect that as well.

Still an amazing place though, and 30 euro for four courses of this quality is a very good deal.

Pros: Loads of vegan options, Great quality of food

Cons: A bit slow

Amazed - Edit

As a true carnivor having dinner with my vegetarian friend always ends up with a restaurant where the vegetarian option seems not from the chef's heart. Today we went to Hortus. My first ever fully vegetarian restaurant and I did not miss my piece of meat for a single second. Olives marinated in the best way ever! Ever had fried crusty olives? Amazing! Every dish was well balanced, all ingredients were there and their flavours all separately their, but in combination exceptional. The staff was pleasant, polite and attentive. With an allergy to peppers (chilled sweet, bell, etc) I could have all starters, but as the weeks risotto contained pepper I was reduced to just one option for my main course. The staff was very apologetic and I was happy to go with the one option left. Largely due to the pleasant way they were attending our table. I, a former landlady, was amazed to find out the girl attending our table had her first job in the trade when I had a chat to the owner just before we left.what did I eat you ask? We shared the bread platter and I had the baked aubergine, bitter and sweet and then we shared grandma's bojo cake.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Value for money

Cons: Only one non pepper main course

Certainly interesting - Edit

As food seemed expensive, I opted for a 3-course set menu that began with Gado gado (the starter I wanted to have anyway), which was excellent. Emping is my new favourite ingredient! The main course, thai curry was a bit of a letdown both in terms of size and taste. Actually it was quite good and contained real lemongrass, etc. I just felt it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. When the professional staff asked about it I couldn't help but tell them then truth, and they seemed totally humble and thankful for my input. Then again, taste is personal. The vegan selection of desserts consisted of four beautifully presented scoops of different ice cream, with fresh fruit and so on. Once again, top notch!
On the whole, 25 euros for these three creations are truly value for your money.

Nice but pricy - Edit

Had a nice dinner here. The staff is somewhat 'zen' and took it's time, but the weather was great so no complaints there. Food was nice, but in our opinion everything was overpriced for what we received. Excellent Gado gado, and wonderful location. This obviously is a very good place for vegans, but compared to other restaurants in The Hague not worth the difference.

Pros: Location, Good knowledge of veganism

Cons: Expensive!!

Great food and service! - Edit

Loved it! Laid-back atmosphere but a little bit fancy both with regards to the menu and the extremely attentive and professional service. They asked if I was vegan or vegetarian right away to suggest dishes that were suitable (most of the menu was vegan or could be veganised). It was a pity I wasn't hungry enough to try the main dishes but the oriental soup I ordered was delicious and the vegan sorbet for dessert was good as well. I really felt they had put thought into catering to vegans, not like in some restaurants where you have little to no options and have to come up with suggestions for modifications yourself. Even the mint tea was served with agave syrup instead of honey. The owner was serving the guests himself and chatting with them. We talked for a while and he is such a nice person with a real passion for what he does. I'm normally too lazy to write reviews but I really wanted to support this one. Highest recommendations!

Pros: extremely nice staff, excellent food, good for vegans!

Cons: none

Heerlijk eten op een prachtige locatie - Edit

Hortus is in maart 2015 geopend. Het oude bankgebouw is prachtig opgeknapt, zowel van buiten als van binnen. De frisse, lichte inrichting is sfeervol en met het heerlijke lentezonnetje is het goed vertoeven op het terras op het Anna Paulownaplein. Leuk detail: om naar de wc te gaan moet je de oude kluisdeur door!

En dan het belangrijkste: het eten. We kregen een heerlijk drie gangen verrassingsmaal, geheel vegetarisch. De drie fusion gerechten waren verschillend en pasten toch goed bij elkaar. Mooi opgemaakt en een prima hoeveelheid. De kers op de taart was het toetje: cheesecake van geitenkaas. Een foutje in de bestelling voor de keuken leidde tot een nieuwe smaakexplosie!
De eigenaren zijn vriendelijk, gastvrij en kundig. Ik kan iedereen alleen maar aanraden hier te gaan eten en je te laten verrassen.

Grote aanwinst voor Den Haag - Edit

Het restaurant is nog niet zo lang open maar ondertussen heb ik er al 2 keer gegeten.Bij binnenkomst voelde ik mij gelijk welkom door de vriendelijke ontvangst en aangeboden amuse.Het eten is verrassend en verfijnd, iets wat vaak ontbreekt bij vergetarische gerechten. De traditionele ingredienten die vaak terugkomen bij vegetarische gerechten zal je hier niet zo snel zien. De kaart is heel wisselend , van pom tot hutspot en van gado-gado tot pakora. Alle gerechten die ik heb gegeten waren van hoge kwaliteit maar het lekkerste vond ik de pom. Als dessert raad ik Nanie's bojo aan, heerlijk! Kort om, ik ben erg enthousiast over dit nieuwe restaurant en zal er nog vaak terugkomen. Echt een aanwinst voor Den Haag waar je ook prima je niet vegetarische vrienden mee naar toe kan nemen.

Pros: Verrassende gerechten, Gastvrijheid

Amazing! - Edit

Trendy yet cozy ambiance, superfriendly service and delicious, amazing food. Great creative kitchen (I had a dish which has its roots in a traditional dish from Suriname, but it had a twist which made it more beautiful, special and tasty). The restaurant is vegetarian with loads of vegan options. The right place for a wonderful evening out. Not cheap, but definitely worth its price!

Pros: wonderful food, friendly service, beautiful place

Haute vegetarian/vegan cuisine - Edit

This is really a good vegetarian restaurant in one of the better parts of The Hague. The building is very beautiful and the dishes also. And the taste is amazing. New flavors, nice combination of traditional dishes with a culinary touch. I'm really impressed by this restaurant.

Pros: beautiful dishes, stylish restaurant, culinary dishes

Geweldig vegan restaurant - Edit

Dit recent geopende restaurant in een gerestaureerd bankgebouw. Het restaurant was aanbevolen door een vriend, wij zijn geen vegans maar het eten was echt heerlijk en de pure smaken streelde de tong. De service was uitstekend en erg vriendelijk personeel die de verschillende gerechten in detail kon uitleggen. De amuse was verassend lekker en bijna alles wordt "home-made", daar hou ik van, aanrader is de vegan dream als dessert met huisgemaakt ijs, was een feestje! Ook de huiswijn is erg lekker en alles goed betaalbaar. We zullen zeker terugkomen.

Pros: Good value , Excellent food , Friendly staff

Great food, great atmosphere - Edit

My family and I had dinner at this new restaurant Hortus recently and it was amazing! Amazing, because we are not vegetarian, but decided to give it a try because it looked so welcoming when passing by. Amazing, because our kids loved it and all they had was vegetables. Amazing, because they also have vegan dishes - my brother is a vegan and we always struggle to find a restaurant that serves something other than the usual stir-fry when he is with us. Amazing, because it was incredibly tasty. My kids had the Gado Gado to start, which is steamed vegetables with a home made peanut sauce; then they had the penne bolognese, which looked and tasted really good. My husband had the beetroot salad with goats cheese and the Hutspot and I had the pakora's and the Pom. All very nice and beautifully presented. The combinations are well thought out and the resulting flavours are very good. Service is very warm and friendly as is atmosphere. I would definitely recommend this place to vegetarians, vegans and flexitarians alike. I have no doubt that Hortus will be a hit and soon you will have to book weeks in advance. We will be regulars. Good tip: they also do a 2-course lunch for €14,50.

Pros: food that everyone will enjoy, excellent price/quality

Birthday diner - Edit

Last Saturday we went to a new Vegetarian restaurant "Hortus" for my birthday. this was the first time to an Vegetarian restaurant.

The staff welcomed us very friendly with some nice bread, olives, nuts ands butter with herbs. We also got amuses of musrooms filled with goatcheese.

Diner en dessert were fantastic. Also a little bit of culinary. They made my dessert with a piece of paper with Happy birthday. And you could also eat the paper. That was very nice.

The restaurant was beyond expectationI so we will come here more often because of the good ambiance, good staff en great Vegetarian food.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food

Great food - Edit

As a non Vegetarian, I really enjoyed the food. I was surprised and the meal encouraged me to eat vegatarian 1 or 2 a week.

As a newly started restaurant there a small points for improvement, but this did not concern the taste of the food or the food itself.
Upon arrival we were welcomed with bread and aioli, oliveoil and olive/tomato spread.
As an amuse we got mushrooms filled with goat cheese and pumpkin mash. Lovely.
The starter I had was Pakora, different veggies in deep fried batter. With an Indian tast. This was at that point my favorite. Main I had the Pomtayer. Rice, veggie with oven baked pom. Nice taste but could have been served a bit hotter. Dessert was a tarte tartin to die for. So lovely. The kids had the Vegan dream, with KNetter icecream a really nice dish aswell.

Overall a great vegan experience to repeat.
We wish the all the best for the future, but a the future will as be as the tast this will be GREAT

Pros: In a nice area of The Hague, Ambiance in the restaurant , NO MEAT

Return to The Hague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hortus closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3303 times since Mar 2015.