Hops and Pie

Contact 303-477-7000

3920 Tennyson St, Denver, Colorado, USA, 80212

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a vegan sloppy jane, and vegan pizza with cheese, chorizo, sausage or tofu. Urban gastro pub atmosphere, crowded at night. Open Tue-Thu 11:30am-10:00pm, Fri 11:30am-11:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 2:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by soyorganic

Super cool place - Edit

I totally loved the neighborhood that Hops & Pie was located in (Berkeley neighborhood) and I loved the atmosphere inside the restaurant. I could tell that this was a very popular and hip place and I totally understand why. I mean, I would go there regularly if I lived nearby. This restaurant specializes in craft beer (rotate unique/rare craft beers from their 22 taps) and artisan pizza with the dough made with a 50/50 beer/water mix.

Because we were at a pizza place, I had to try the pizza! Hops & Pie offers vegan pizza alternatives including daiya cheese, house made Sicilian sausage, and house smoked tofu. They also have a long list of vegetable toppings: green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach, arugula, dollops of mash potatoes, sun dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, roasted garlic cloves, broccoli, pineapple, jalapeno, basil and banana peppers. I limited my options because they were $1.80 each. I ended up getting spinach, caramelized onions, roasted garlic cloves, pineapple and tofu. There are so many other combinations to try out! I have been vegan most of my life so I never really ate cheese and didn't feel a need to have it on my pizza, but it is awesome that they have a vegan option available.

My friend (also vegan) used to eat meat and cheese so she was more drawn to comfort food that she remembers eating. She ordered the vegan macaroni and cheese (sauteed mushrooms, peas, miso, elbow macaroni and spices) and a Vegan Sloppy Jane (tempeh). She enjoyed hers, but I think it was a little to fatty, fried and filling for her. The sloppy jane could of used a sauce on it and I personally would of wanted some sort of fresh vegetables on it so that it wasn't just "meat" and a bun. However, I do know that they typically are just meat and bread. Not really my kind of thing I suppose.

I really like fining places like Hops & Pie that specialize in foods such as smoked meat, but that still offer a variety of tasty vegan options. If I lived nearby, we would totally be regulars here.

Pros: Good value, Many options, Nice vibe

Perhaps the best vegan Mac & Cheese ever - Edit

This place is great. They have lots of vegan options and you can custom a vegan pie with Daiya cheese. They also have the most amazing vegan Mac & Cheese with mushrooms. I loved the Mac & Cheese at ByChloe in NYC (which is also incredible) but this Mac & Cheese rivals that! They also have a fantastic craft beer selection from local Colorado breweries.

Pros: Great food, Vegan options, Great beer

Cons: Often a wait time

Pizza and beer are the greatest couple ever. - Edit

But seriously, whoever was the genius who first paired beer and pizza needs to come back to life so that I can personally thank them and buy them all the beer and pizza. I think I can say that Hops and Pie does the pairing better than anyone else. Also, vegan mac and cheese helps, and theirs is spectacular. The crumble on top did me in. The beer list is fantastic and the pizza was incredible. I am coming back asap. Maybe tomorrow.

vegan cheese - Edit

They have vegan cheese also seitan and smoked tofu as pizza toppings. It is a bar and feel-good atmosphere with sports on TV on one side and another side for dinning. Awesome beer if you are into that.

Pros: vegan cheese

Return to Denver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hops and Pie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2579 times since Feb 2013.