Hon's Wun-Tun House

Contact 604-685-0871

1339 Robson St (at Bute), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, BC V6E

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant with a vegetarian section on its menu, as well as a separate vegetarian open kitchen, separated from the regular kitchen by a large wall. Can get busy. Multiple locations.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by marymac

large portions, some vegan options - Edit

Separate veggie menu. We told them we had dairy allergies and they helped us order vegan. The two things we got were pretty bland. I kind of wished I brought my own siracha. I asked for sweet and sour and they brought a small plum sauce like dip that helped. Lots of bean curd dishes. Texture was good. Awesome that the option is here but won't be back for a while unless I bring my own spices.

Can be great... - Edit

So this place is a little hit-and-miss, you really have to know what to order. The good news is that they do have quite a long list of vegan options. And within that list there surely is going to be at least 5 dishes that you will love. The problem is figuring out what these are.
I recommend the fried veg chicken chunks that come with broccoli. I didn't love the veg wontons. I will update when I can safely recommend more dishes.

I think you should give this place a try, you may very well land on a great dish. The decor is not pleasing, as you have probably guessed from the other reviews, but as long as you know ahead of time and don't mind going for a food court/cafeteria style restaurant. I wouldn't bring a date or a client..... but for a Tuesday night, I'm in!

Pros: Many veg options, Large portions, Some excellent dishes

Cons: Atmosphere , Hit-and-miss selection

Terrible Service and food is edible at best - Edit

My friend and I went in here because we had just finished walking the seawall and were starving. I was excited because I am mostly Vegan and they had a lot of vegetarian items.

First of all, not one of the Waitress's smiled. Our waitress was actually quite rude. I asked if something had any dairy or eggs or fish in it and she said its vegetarian.

My friend got a stir fry that had meat and noodles. It was so greasy it gleamed. She took one bite and did not eat the rest. She didn't even take it home because it was so gross. We shared my vegetarian won ton soup which was okay.

Not one waitress asked if the food was alright. 3 different waitress's asked my friend if she wanted her food wrapped up to go. She said it was gross and none of them offered her to have something different.

Normally I don't pull this card but I refused to pay for her dish. I stood there while 5 employees discussed the situation right in front of use in another language.

I would never go there again.

Pros: vegetarian food

Cons: bad service, greasy food, communication barrier

Yikes! - Edit

Went there once, the waitress did not speak English, and did not know what vegan was. She called someone else, was very unfriendly and impatient when I queried the menu. My friend went to the bathroom and saw a large bug there. We left. Never went back, do not recommend, will never go back.

Well, it's ok but better places aren't far away! - Edit

There are a couple of vegetarian/ vegan restaurants in Downtown Vancouver now, unlike when I first wrote this review three years ago.

I've eaten here about four times, but only really as a last choice option for vegetarian. Simply, I have found the food here too oily. Really not appetizing at all for me.
Service is quick however, the menu is extensive, and the place has room for a lot of guests.

BUT, I would recommend instead going to 3G's on Cambie between 18th and 19th Ave for Chinese vegetarian cuisine. Take the Canada Line from downtown, and walk a few blocks downhill from the King Edward station. They have a much tastier menu and are 100% vegetarian. Never disappointed there.
Or, go to Panz Veggie on Hornby near Pacific in downtown. They are also very good, and have excellent lunch specials.
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 19, 2009

Pros: downtown location, Quick service

Cons: food doesn't look tasty, too oily, cafeteria style feel

good fast chinese food - Edit

this place is huge and the service is fast. the menu has a separate vegetarian section, and the kitchen (open) has a separate section with a sign above that states vegetarian. I found the portions large, and the food tasty although I would say that the food has MSG added. It's a good option if you want something quick and easy though some of the prices are a bit high.

Pros: fast service, plenty of tables

Cons: some dishes expensive, use MSG

In a hurry? - Edit

I am always blown away at the service here! My tea has never run out, though if I need to order something else I usually have to flag down a waitress. But from the minute I order, to the point the food is placed before me, I rarely have time to wash my hands and unfold my napkin! FAST is an understatement! Sure, I occasionally feel rushed, usually recieving the bill halfway through dinner, but who cares! This is fast-food Chinese, not high class dinning, so the turnover is meant to be quick and the service prompt, not exquisite.

The food itself is generally heavy and sauce laden, and trying to special order (sauce on the side or reduced oil) causes massive confusion. I once ended up w/ chicken in my dinner - not sure how that happened. The soy-meats are actually decent; so far the best I've ever had, though I usually avoid faux meat at all cost (so I may be a little too bias to judge them). This is the only place I will order meat analogs, probably due to the heavy sauces that mask the freakishly meat-like texture? The soy-chicken is a little too close to the real thing for me, but if you miss eating chicken, than I highly suggest it. BUT, if you are in the mood for (mostly) authentic Chinese done fast, and a few BBQ pigs and ducks hanging in the case nearby doesn't cause you to panic, than I say go for it. Not for a classy date, but definately the place for a filling lunch.

WORD OF CAUTION: Lunch time is incredibly busy. Try to avoid peak hours to avoid the lineup, weekends especially.

Pros: FAST, FAST, FAST, cheap eats!, very good faux-meats

Cons: pushy service, busy

Yes, this is a Chinese Cafeteria Style Restaurant - Edit

This is Chinese Fast Food. For Chinese people, it is not classified as a 'restaurant'. You go in, order food, and it's on the table in ten minutes- or less! The food is salty, greasy, and tastes great (as long as you are expecting salty and greasy). Don't forget to request "no MSG". Some sauces already have MSG added. The menu changes every number of months. There are lots of interesting things to choose from, and three people can really pig out and it will come to a total of perhaps $20-$30. Choosing the "Dinner for 4" or "Dinner for 2" etc. will save you even more money.

Pros: Fast, Cheap, Good

Cons: Salty, Greasy, Fast food quality

Great take out place - Edit

This place has separate kitchen for vegitarians. The 1st time we ate at the restaurant. The food is good. It's very big and don't really like sharing table with someone else so next time we got carry out. You get 10% off on take out if you pick it up. I thought the hot and sour soup was good. It's hard to find vegan Chinese but this place had lots to choose from. We didn't really care for the rice. It's combination brown,white and red beans.

Pros: fast friendly, good food, good value

Cons: noisy, staff doesn't speak English very well

Separate veggie kitchen - Edit

Not bad. Nice to know that they have an entire separate veggie kitchen! Food is a bit on the greasy side, atmosphere is like a big cafeteria. Good price point.

Pros: fast, efficient service, separate veggie kitchen

Cons: greasy

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hon's Wun-Tun House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2533 times since Aug 2007.