REMVOED: Honokowai Okazuya

Contact 808-667-2814

3600-D Honoapiilani Rd (at West Maui), Lahaina, Hawaii, USA, 96761

Serves meat, vegan options available. Little fast food eatery established since 1997. It's mostly take-out with a few tables for seating inside. Menu is primarily meat based with hot main dishes served with rice or macaroni salad, pasta, rice bowls, salads, sandwiches. However, there is a section labeled as "island vegetarian" which features a veggie burger, egg fu young, grandma's tofu, eggplant schezhan, tofu chow fun, steamed island vegetables, kung pao tofu. Note: as reported to HappyCow, eggplant is fried in the same deep fryer as the meat. Removed for poor vegan options.

Category: American, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out, Hawaiian, Non-veg

First Review by Chia

Honokowai Okazuya - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and stopped in on my last trip to Maui. Here's my Honokowai Okazuya review.

I thought I'd try out this restaurant since it bills itself as "vegetarian-friendly." So we drove into the parking lot, parked, and peruse the menu that was taped to the window at the front of the restaurant.

The menu included a list of vegetarian dishes, a few of which seemed to be vegan suitable.

It's a hole-in-the-wall kind of place, very small, and a bit dim on the inside, and the kitchen didn't look very clean to us. We looked at the menu for a while and couldn't decide on what to get since nothing really appealed to us.

Then my husband started talking with a staff, telling her that we were vegetarians. He asked about the eggplant dish, and she told us that actually, the eggplant is fried in the same fryer as the meat stuff. Well, after hearing that, we decided that we didn't want to eat here anymore. We appreciated her honesty but felt that the restaurant was not very conscientious about vegetarian diets.

Unlike most meat serving restaurants in Maui, this place actually has a section dedicated and labeled as "vegetarian," so that makes it worth a mention. However, do be clear with your server/cook what your expectations are.

Return to Lahaina Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMVOED: Honokowai Okazuya closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 853 times since Apr 2010.