Homegrown Smoker Vegan Barbecue - Food Cart

503-277-3823

4237 N Mississippi Ave, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97217

Vegan barbecue food cart at the Mississippi Marketplace. Serves Southern-style BBQ without the meat or dairy. Sample items such as chili shroom sammich with fryz, cajun fried tofu sammich, soy curls, tempeh ribs, barbecue beans, mac-no-cheese. Also sells sweet mint iced tea, vegan desserts and cookies. In 2015 it opened its brick and mortar deli on SW Jefferson (see that listing). Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-8:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Tigra220

Phenomenal - Edit

I had the Slosmomofo Sandwich and it may have been the best sandwich I've had in 10 years of being vegan.
I am very sad I didn't get to try more items on the menu!

This food cart is beside some tented picnic tables so you can take cover if it's raining.

Pros: Tasty, delicious, amazing flavour, Great price, Interesting items

Best Food Truck in town!! - Edit

I love this place! I've been there several times and each time is great. They always have a new special but my favorite is the rack of "ribs" plate. When I want comfort food this is where I go. Don't forget to get the Mac no cheese! And the prices are reasonable.

Pros: vegan , great food , good prices

Cons: outdoor seating only

Am I dreaming? - Edit

SERIOUSLY the best vegan food I've ever eaten. Took my non-vegan family and even they were impressed! I had the Macnocheeto burrito because anytime I can eat vegan Mac and cheese I do it!! I practically cried eating the burrito, it was SO good. Haven't been able to make it back, but can't wait to try more of the menu!!

Pros: SO FREAKING YUMMY, Greatest staff

Cons: Nothing!!

vegan sorcery - Edit

Best damn BBQ sandwich I've ever had, vegan or otherwise.

Comfortable bbq - Edit

In town from California. Looked interesting for local vegan spot, loved it all. Great flavors,had the platter with mac and slaw, ribs were the best..... hope to make it back someday.

Pros: Great servings, Great flavors, Good location

delicious! - Edit

Amazing comfort food. We had tempeh ribs and a special jack fruit sandwich, and kids enjoyed Mac & cheese and baked beans. Everything was flavorful and complemented the other flavors without all tasting the same.

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, stayed open later than other trucks

Cons: no bar drinks allowed in food truck area

delicious comfort food! - Edit

Shared a meal of tempeh ribs, mac and cheese, and hush puppies. So yummy and so filling!

Yum vegan BBQ - Edit

Okay so the line can get kinda long, and it's slightly expensive...but well worth it! Great tasting vegan comfort food. Really hits the spot. If you're in the neighborhood and they're open definitely go!

Cons: don't think they use all organic

great food! - Edit

Quick service, great food and very affordable!

DON'T PASS THIS PLACE UP! - Edit

My boyfriend and I were trying Vtopia next door and we're still wanting more of a meal after trying some cheeses so we decided to try the Smokehouse. When we went inside, the owner asked if we wanted a sample and we both wanted to try a bite of the temper rib. As we were conversing with the owner, he came around the corner with not only a sample of temper rib but an entire faux meat platter for us to try. We also ordered a Macnocheeto to go which was AMAZING. Such great service and food!!

Pros: delicious, cheap, simple ingredients

Vegan Comfort Food - Edit

Definitely try this place. It's all good. I especially recommend the mac and cheese and hush puppies to go along with any entree you get. The staff is very friendly.

The only con I would say would be the wait, especially if there's a lot of customers waiting for their order. It's understandable, but doesn't make the place any less worth trying.

Pros: delicious food

Cons: waiting period

One of a kind - Edit

Didn't realize this was a food truck! Walked here in the rain hoping to sit down and dry off a bit. Even all the tables in the food truck court were covered in rain. Had to take food back home by train. Had to reheat food a bit but was very good! Hush puppy were amazing!! Also shared chili Mac and cheese and the chili cheese fries. All very good. Wish they had a sit down restaurant!

Pros: Options not usually seen for vegans

Cons: Outside - so weather permitting

grubbin lovin - Edit

If you want some comfort food, come on down! Mac and Cheeze on a sandy? Big portions, fast service, smiles!
They offer field roast protein which I think it one of the tastiest store bought seitan varieties.
We are here a few months back, I remember stuffing myself and then wanting to take a glorious weekend nap.
Cheers

Delicious - Edit

This place was just as tasty as I hoped it would be. Even the lemonade was amazing. I ordered the tempeh ribs and mac'n'cheese. Both were delicious. I definitely recommend visiting if you are in Portland.

HUSH PUPPIES! - Edit

OH YEAH!! Hush puppies! You didn't have to say much more to get me to eat here. It was a beautiful day. I found a yet another vegan food cart. And, I was ordering hush puppies! Could life POSSIBLY be any better? Oh, yes, it could - I was in Portland, Oregon (put a bird on it!).

This area had about 10 food carts. I ordered vegan BBQ ribs and the hush puppies. The ribs were really good and kinda of sweet/sour. The hush puppies were OUTSTANDING. It was a lot of food for a small price.

There are plenty of tables all around in a covered area. The food carts are pretty-much in a parking lot, and it was clean, and friendly and the people were all pleasant. There were a lot of recycle bins there next to the food carts, and I like seeing that. Coming from a non-eco-friendly town, I SO MUCH appreciate Portland and its dedication to being eco-friendly.

All good. No complaints. If I had to say one thing negative, the hush puppies were just a tad on the spicy side. I don't like any spice at all, so what I considered spicy may not be to someone else. And, let me tell you, it didn't stop me from devouring them!

Pros: good hush puppies, reasonable prices, vegan

Half great - Edit

We had the combo platter and it was 50% great. The mac and cheese was to die for. The tempeh ribs were yummy. But the soy curls were drab and the cornbread was inedible. So be cautious about ordering.

That guy was a jerk - Edit

Didn't try the food, guy was so rude.

Cons: The guy there was a jerk. he had his back turned

Great bbq - Edit

I really enjoyed their combo plate with tempeh and soy curls. Very good flavor and texture. The baked beans and Coke slaw were good too

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Homegrown Smoker Vegan Barbecue - Food Cart closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.