Homegrown Hamilton

• Veg-friendly
Contact 905-777-8102

27 King William Street (at between James and Hughson), Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8R 1A1

Serves meat, vegan options available. Wide selection of wholesome, locally sourced organic breakfasts, lunches and dinners, including lot of vegan/vegetarian/gluten free options. Serves organic coffee. Previously named Bread and Roses Cafe.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Non-veg

First Review by vegangela

Love this place - Edit

Homegrown is one of my favourites in Hamilton. It's a cafe has a relaxed vibe. The menu is mostly soups/salads/sandwiches and breakfast/brunch items.

There are a bunch of vegan options; the tempeh hummus sandwich especially is fantastic. They're the only place I know of in the city where you can get vegan cream cheese on a bagel (they also have earth balance).

Their soup of the day is always vegan and I've yet to try one that wasn't amazing.

They also have good coffee, local beers on tap, and a steady rotation of vegan baked goods.

The menu is not entirely veg which actually makes it a good place to take a mixed group of veg*ans and omnivores.

All in all a solid place.

Great atmosphere and good food - Edit

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food at this hipster coffee spot. I had the sauteed Tempeh with hummus and red onions on wheat bread. My dinning companion had the veggie burger. Both dishes were simple and delicious. The eclectic surroundings make for interesting conversation. My daughter loved the odd light up disco ball thing perched on top of the antique cigarette machine. The service was great and very friendly.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 03, 2014

Pros: Atmosphere, Food

homey and inviting - Edit

A homey, inviting and Cafe with friendly staff (and owner). A great place to pop in if you want a coffee and a snack (varied vegan treats) or if you want a nice lunch.

We stopped by on a Saturday and they were doing tofu scramble as their vegan breakfast option. Now, many place offer a tofu scramble, but few make it well. Theirs was a prefect tofu scramble, I would suggest getting it if it's an option that day. I didn't get one but I did notice that they do offer bagels with vegan cream cheese (they also have soy cream for your coffee and earth balance for your toast, nice!). We grabbed some treats to go, a couple of vegan Blondies that were super tasty and some chia spiced cookies too.

They defiantly have a family friendly atmosphere and looks like they support a wide variety of live music at night judging by the small stage and posters. A great spot to hang out.

Pros: cosy atmosphere , vegan soy cream, cream cheese and butter, Cafe standards done well

Cons: as it is a Cafe, I would recommend for breakfast o

Homegrown rocks - Edit

Never been to Homegrown? You're missing out. Especially if you're into vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and organic food. Did I mention they have a stage for music, spoken-word poetry and presentations? Or what about the fact that they only serve their organic fair-trade coffee, tea and water after it has gone through a 4-step reverse osmosis water treatment? They often have almond milk, rice milk and and hemp milk for your coffee in the fridge. This place is 'the bomb.'

It's a very laid-back artsy atmosphere. One could call it a hippy haven.

Like a good veggie burger? They have them. (Vegan!) Made in-house from scratch. It's always a bit different each time I try it, but very filling. I make sure to ask for extra toppings and for it to be extra saucy. Sometimes it has sautéed onions. Sometimes it has an awesome home-made garlic sauce on it. Sometimes it's so good that I cry a bit inside. Comes with baked potato chips on the side.

Their desserts are mainly organic, often vegan and sometimes gluten-free. I believe there are a few raw desserts sometimes, too. The chef is always whipping up new creations. I am in love with their almond power bar. Must try.

I can't say enough good stuff about this place. But if you want a cool place to relax, get a coffee, a veggie burger, some vegan treats, take someone on a date, book a music performance, work on your sketches or writing... Homegrown is where you want to go. But don't tell too many people or it will soon be an overflow of hipster teenagers who feel they are superior to you hogging all the tables. It's that cool.

Updated from previous review on Friday April 05, 2013

Pros: Mainly organic, Gluten-free options, Vegan options

Cons: They sell meat, They sell dairy

Basic lunches - Edit

It's nice to see more and more places offering options that are vegan and vegetarian friendly. That said, there is room for improvement here. They have some good options and are on the right track. They have started a suspended coffee program which helps people have free coffee who can't afford to buy one.

Pros: location, price

Cons: simple choices, nothing i crave

Great food, great atmosphere. - Edit

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food at this hipster coffee spot. I had the sauteed Tempeh with hummus and red onions on wheat bread. My dinning companion had the veggie burger. Both dishes we simple and delicious. The eclectic surroundings make for interesting conversation. My daughter loved the odd light up disco ball thing perched on top of the antique cigarette machine. The service was great and very friendly. I can't wait to go back!

Pros: Good food, Good service, Fun atmosphere

Very Helpful Staff - Edit

When my friend and I were there right after they changed over I was newly gluten-free. The staff was extremely helpful and went above and beyond to find a vegan&gluten-free option for me. The coffee was amazing, the food was tasty, and the service far exceeded any expectations!

Return to Hamilton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Homegrown Hamilton closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2980 times since Aug 2007.