Home Foods

34, Street 722 (at /by Paris Hotel), Kampot, Cambodia

Serves meat, vegan options available. Traditional Khmer homestyle food restaurant opened late-2014. Menu has the typical food selection seen around Asia, like fried rice, in addition to many local style dishes using local spices. Tell your server, "khnom num bous," which roughly translates to, "I eat vegetables," and kitchen can make something for you without fish sauce or meat, etc. Please send exact map coordinates to happycow! Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Cambodian, Khmer, Non-veg

First Review by amylorelle

Let Down - Edit

This place came highly recommended, but the food was not fresh, all dishes tasted the same, and the sabzi was dry as a bone. The rotis were spongy, bitter, burnt, and cold, obviously not fresh. While eating, we saw the "cook" precooking rotis and storing them for later use. This didn't seem right for a place that seemed to have hardly any customers. All in all, it wasn't the worst Indian food I've had, but nearly the worst.

Cons: Not Fresh, Food Lacked Flavor, Rotis Burnt and Bitter

Homely and delicious - Edit

We were a bit skeptical at first; the menu is not very beautiful or well organized (but has pictures of everything), and the place is next to a crossroads, but after reading some nice reviews we wanted to give it a shot. We were not disappointed. We ordered the "Extra value vegetarian combo" ($4,50) and the "Khmer spicy curry" (No. 77, $2,50). We had to wait for maybe 25 minutes to get them, but both dishes were extremely tasty! See photos. We were not particularly disturbed by the traffic once we sat down. We can really recommend this place =)

Pros: Delicious!, Very friendly chef

Cons: Menu quite messy, Traffic nearby

authentic Khmer food - Edit

It's a nice place that basically is the owners modest home. She is very understanding of vegan so she knows not to use fish sauce. The food was delicious and we kicked our fingers to the last bite. It took a while until we received our food but everything was made fresh and so ether wait is totally worth it. We had Khmer curry, veggies with rice and fresh green pepper, Khmer coconut soup and fresh apple juice.

Pros: food, service, fresh ingredients, authentic Khmer

Cons: squat narrow toilet and wet floor, but it's inside

Lovely home-cooked khmer food - Edit

This is a great little restaurant, set away from the more touristy / western places in Kampot but still very central. It was opened about 5 months ago and it's run by a lovely young lady and her family.

The owner's English is good and she is happy to adapt her dishes to make them vegan. The food is freshly prepared - as soon as you've placed your order you can hear her chopping away in the kitchen!!

We have already dined there twice and we've tried the vegetable Khmer curry, the stir-fried eggplant and a pumpkin dish. All of the dishes were simple but flavourful and prices were cheaper than in the more touristy restaurants.

Pros: Lovely, freshly prepared food, Good prices, Good English - able to adapt dishes to make them v

What A Find - Edit

Recently opened home style traditional Khmer food restaurant. Locally run by a lovely local Khmer lady Sorya and her family. Sorya grew up in Kampot and left to work in Phnom Penh in popular restaurants like Comme Le a Maison. This is her first business and is very happy to bring her food and hospitality experience back to her family and hometown.
The menu has the regular selection of foods you're used to seeing around Asia, like Tom Yum, fried rice, soups and the like. For the more adventurous, they also offer more of the homemade local dishes you would only usually find in the markets or at local friends houses.

Sorya was very helpful when I explained I was vegan, by using the local term "khnom num bous", which roughly translates to "I eat vegetables". She then asked if I eat fish, shrimp or oyster as she has experience with Vegan customers. She was very happy to point all of the dishes she can prepare without any animal products. What a treat!
What really sets this place on the map is their use of local herbs and spices. I was sitting next to a Moringa tree which Sorta's Mum pointed out was in my soup. Most of the plants growing out the front are used in their cooking. Pictures are of the vegan option of the dish I ordered #53. Khmer Samlor Kakor. It is a yellow subtle curry like soup which includes eggplant, longbean, pumpkin, papaya, moringa and other local spices and comes with steamed jasmine rice for $2.50. This dish can also be ordered with a variety of meats also.

I'll be back there again very soon and will add more reviews/pics of their vegan dishes as I try them.

Pros: Fresh Produce, Simple Khmer Cooking, Cheap

Cons: Different Flavours/tastes, No True Western Foods, Meat Also Served From Kitchen

Return to Kampot Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Home Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.