CLOSED: Home - Eat To Live

+852-27774777

G01 & 101, Nexxus Building, 77 Des Voeux Rd Central, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China

Western style healthy fast food restaurant and licensed bar with 100 seats. Food is mostly vegan, with egg and cheese offered as options. Est. 2016. Nearest MTRs Hong Kong exit C, Central exit B. Confirmed closed July 2017.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Stevie

Great food but a bit pricey - Edit

Really nice international menu. This place understands how international food should taste. It's not just some local joint selling veggie burgers even though the chef has never eaten one.
The cakes are all vegan and all great.
I can recommend the wraps and vegan burger.

Pros: Great food, Vegan cakes, Vegan mayo

Cons: Pricey

Yummy and fresh - Edit

We discovered this place on our last night of six nights in Hong Kong. It was easy to find and within easy walking distance of both Hong Kong and Central stations. The ambience is really nice, loved the cork table tops! I chose the Siberian Tiger and a lemon/lime/mint drink which was perfect. The Siberian Tiger was not a large portion of food but every mouthful was delicious and I left feeling like I had eaten really good nutritious food. My son chose the White Rhino burger and said it was very good and he's pretty fussy when it comes to burgers. He also tried one of their beers and said it was excellent and full of flavour. The staff were friendly, the music was great, I wanted to ask what they were playing so I could get it!

Pros: Tasty, fresh, nutritious food, Interesting menu, Recycling of products used there

Cons: A bit pricey but I'd go again if I was in HK

home - eat to live - Edit

at $98 for a burger for which you'd be buzzed at once it's ready and have to collect yourself (from upstairs, if you're seated downstairs), making your way up and down a steep flight of stairs while balancing a tray of food and/or drink, i'd say it's a tad expensive for a self-service restaurant.

while we were ordering, there was some mix-up between the staff upstairs and downstairs (you can place your order on either level, but can only collect from upstairs), and though seated on the ground level we ended up both ordering and collecting upstairs.

my polar bear burger was decent and filling, but unmemorable. no complaints about the texture of the patty, but flavour-wise it paled in comparison to the aiolo dip for the sweet potato fries (the dip was light and creamy, with just the right amount of salt).

my friend treated us to a thin slice of cake which we shared (i think it was the gluten-free, dairy-free hazelnut chocolate cake, which i later found out cost $60!) - this was well-received among everyone.

vegan, gluten-free, buddhist-friendly items are clearly indicated on its menus (buddhist-friendly items seem to be only indicated on its in-house menus, iirc, and not online).

i'll be back to try the earth bowls one day.

for those on a tight budget, the indian elephant earth bowl is priced at $60 and is sold in partnership with foodlink, a hk charity. by ordering it, you're providing a meal to six persons in need. (as gleaned from home's online menu, best to check if it's still available.)

our casual dinner here was a relaxing experience in a spacious setting, which was probably factored into the price of our meals.

rating for now: 3.5.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-31

Pros: spacious setting, delicious raw cakes, menu indicates vegan/gf/buddhist-friendly items

Cons: not cheap, self-service (collect from upstairs)

Not bad but I prefer Mana Slow Fast Food! - Edit

Self-service kind of system which is similar to Mana (because Home is founded by one of the co-founders of Mana; he's a very cute and humble guy who was assisting the cashier and greeting customers warmly when I visited).

The restaurant has a nice vibe, ambiance, music and is very spacious indeed.

However, I found the beetroot burger lacking in flavour (esp compared to Mana's wraps or flats or Veggle Cafe's burgers).
It wasn't bad at all but nothing great either, I guess it's more catered to westeners and Chinese people may not like too much flavour, spices in their food anyway.

I had a shake that was made with coconut water, coconut meat, dates and vanilla extract, it was excellent!!

I visited this place back in Jul 2016; so I am not sure how much has changed since.

Pros: Lots of vegan options and stuff can be veganized, Staff are friendly and know their stuff, Vegan desserts!!

Cons: A bit pricey

Tasty and a cozy place - Edit

I love to bring my omni friends here. This is such a nice place to hang out with friends. They are often surprised when the vegan food here. My all-time favorite is the flatbread.

Quick and tasty, mixed feelings - Edit

I've been here several times both alone and with friends. I've found the food to be quick and tasty (especially the raw desserts -- try the chocolate hazelnut cake!). It's great that HK has a new trendy veg/vegan place that's impossible to get a seat at lunchtime, but overall I'd say its way too overpriced and that the staff aren't always the friendliest. For example, my friend and I came to have a late-night tea and discovered that one cup of hot water and a teabag from the box (which you have to go pick) came to a total of $45 -- crazy! The earth bowls are also very overpriced for the amount of food you get, and please don't charge $45 for a side of sweet potato fries which comes with practically 10 fries. My friends and I each ordered a Hawaiian Monk Sea wrap the last time we went. We wanted the vegan cheese on the wrap (they did not ask us which cheese we wanted when we ordered), and we forgot to specify, and they put Halloumi on it. Once we got our meal, we wondered immediately which cheese they had used and did not open the wraps. We apologetically told them we were vegan (and that they should have asked us what kind of cheese we wanted upon ordering!) and if we could please change our order to something we could actually eat, especially since we had not opened the wraps. They were less than friendly and took ten minutes to deliberate. Finally, they brought us a different vegan wrap (the mexican bean one) but it was cold, chewy, and practically inedible -- it was as though they purposely did not heat it because they were annoyed with us. You also have to busk your own dishes here -- normally I don't mind, but considering the food is high-priced and they seem to have a million staff standing around, it's a little bit tacky to ask customers to do this.

Pros: delicious desserts, cozy seating area, interesting menu items

Cons: crowded at peak times

Organic raw vegan and gluten free friendly - Edit

"Welcome home" is the greeting you get when you step inside the cafe, greeted by friendly and smiling staff. It is not hard to feel at home, especially for people who are vegetarian and especially vegan. This is a place that is like no other. The concept is providing healthy, organic food fast and conveniently.

What stands out are their range of food. Awesome vegan burgers, hot soup noodles, rice bowls, made to order custom made wraps (gluten free version wrapped in leafly green) and heavenly raw vegan desserts.

Fresh and fantastic food, it will leave you wanting more, and the place less than 3 months old are already having a huge following. Lunch time is busy (it is central and lunch hour is packed every where).

Make sure you go up to the first floor for the full range of hot food and salad bowls.

My favourite? Their green wraps, with sweet potato, falafel, eggplant 'caviar' and cucumber. That's my custom made preference. Filling and great taste. If you want a bit of a kick, get the spicy chilli sauce.

It is open Monday to Saturday from morning till evening. With their REAL juice cocktails, it is a place to hang out afterwork as well. You won't find that anywhere else!

On top of that, this is where all the yoga hotties, yummy mummies, healthy eaters and beautiful ladies go ;)

If there is one place to go if you are visiting Hong Kong, this is definitely the place to visit!

Pros: Organic and delicious food, Gluten free friendly, Beautiful interior

Cons: Long queues during lunch, Portion can be small for big eaters

Love it! - Edit

I loved the coconut & strawberry cake, hazelnut chocolate cake, white rhino burger with sweet potato fries, and the lemonade. Very chilled place with lots of vegan options.

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere , great location

Finally a place to call HOME! - Edit

As a vegan living in Hong Kong, I have always wondered why a world class city like this one lacks a world class vegan restaurant. I travel a lot for my work & the most vegan friendly places include New York, Ubud (Bali), Los Angeles, Vancouver and I crave the food in those places every time I come Home to Hong Kong.

For those who know these cities/ places, HOME by CGM is better than Cafe Gratitude, Candle 79, Elephant (Ubud), Plant Food & Wine (LA) & others...

After doing some research, I found that HOME is run by a French/ American restauranteur (the original co-founder of Mana) & a classically trained French Chef who worked for 3 star Michelin star chef Alain Ducasse at Plaza Athenee in Paris. This explains the great food!

I have been to HOME every day for the past week it's been open & my absolute favorites are:

Silky Sifaka - the kelp soup noodles (a healthy version of Pho) with garden vegetables (kale!)

Red Panda - an open toast on organic sourdough bread with vegan cheese that is to die for!

Manta Ray - the best feel good salad with spinach, beetroot & all the veggies that you can go home with feeling nurtured and nourished.

Siberian Tiger - a Healthy macrobiotic bowl that beats any macrobiotic bowl I've had overseas

and finally the Polar Bear - the best veggie burger I've ever laid my lips on with a beetroot & mushroom patti that doesn't shy from any real (meat burger) from the old days when I used to still consume meat.

The best juices in my opinion are Scarlette, Coral & Jade depending on whether I feel like a green juice or a beetroot one/ fruity one.

The desserts are a marriage between vegan goodness & French artisan pastry (beauty & substance combined)

I can't speak more highly about this place which is also eco-friendly, zero-waste & an animals activist (all their dishes are named after endangered or extinct species).

Like I said, finally a place to call HOME!

Pros: great food, great atmosphere, free wifi & many plugs

Cons: so much goodness it's hard to choose, more noodle options please, self-service

Home Eat To LIve, Hong Kong - Edit

Opens 10 am Tues 3rd May. Updated review to follow.

Pros: Opens Tues 3rd May 2016

Cons: Opens Tues 3rd May 2016

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Home - Eat To Live closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.