Holzofenpizza Engel

069-27270066

Schwalbacher Strasse 66 (at Frankenallee), Frankfurt, Germany

Serves meat, vegan options available. Not a typical Italian restaurant mainly because it offers vegan cheese for pizza and pasta dishes. Wood-fired oven. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 2:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Italian, Non-veg

First Review by Tank242

Great pizza place with traditional log wood oven - Edit

First of all, the pizza tastes great. Variations for vegans could be more creative, but everyone is free to create her or his own special with wilmersburger pizzaschmelz.

What I really do not appreciate, is staff mocking about plant based diets, in front of fully occupied tables. I consider that extremely unprofessionel and potentially embarrassing for the customer. After talking to them I got the impression that they think the only reason to leave dairy products out of diets are lactose intolerance and other "illnesses".

Spiritually, the still have got a long way to go, but I can cope with that and enjoy a pizza once in a while...

Update:
They seem to be used to vegan customers by now. Although I am sure there is no more understanding of the background/benefit of plant based diets, they seem to be proud of their returning vegan customers and groups of regulars.

Improved the rating to 3.5 (4) cows... ;-))

Updated from previous review on 2014-10-14

Pros: vegan cheese, log wood oven, passionate

Cons: not informed about the lifestyle, not organic, too many animal products

Vegane Holzofenpizza! - Edit

Tolle (eigentlich "normale") Pizzeria, die aber erkannt hat, dass es vor allem in Frankfurt viele Veganer gibt und daher veganen Käse im Angebot hat.

Die Auswahl ist nicht riesig aber lecker und das Ambiente ist wirklich gut!

A very pleasant experience - Edit

The pizza was probably the best vegan pizza we've ever had. The staff were really friendly towards us, although they did roll their eyes a bit at our veganism and foreignness :)

The restaurant wasn't too crowded on a saturday night, and the kitchen seems to be open until at least an hour before they close.

Pros: Great pizza, Friendly atmosphere, Open late

Cons: TV on (we didn't mind though)

2 Responses

cheeky vegan 26 Jan 2015 - I found the same with the staff rolling their eyes about me ordering the wilmers cheese (i never explained to them about the vegan thing, just ordered the veg pizza) they are quite friendly in there and I have been a couple times, but wish they had a better attitude towards veganism, it would bring them so much business!

Tank242 23 Aug 2016 - I think it was a weird sense of humor... I felt slightly offended during my first visit.
In the meantime they acquired enough routine with vegan guests and act more professionally.

Return to Frankfurt Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Holzofenpizza Engel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.