CLOSED: Holy Cow on Willamette

Contact 541-852-4659

2621 Willamette St, Eugene, Oregon, USA, 97405

Serves meat, vegan options available. This is their second location; the first location on University had shut in 2014. Extensive menu from around the world, with vegan and gluten free menus available. Patio with weekend music in the summer. SEPT 2014 SHUT DOWN PER OWNER.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Indian, International, Organic, Fast food, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Central American, Non-veg

First Review by DawnOfTheRent

dirty business - Edit

had some takeout from here from friend who tried to trick me. he knows I think this food is garbage so he got me takeout to see if I thought so. it was mushville
Nasty that they invested their $$ from hippies who bought their stuff with plant-based ideals on killing animals. dirty business

staff from here has always been hostile and nasty
they are good at disputing my reviews, but truth is truth, they have enough $$ from selling burritos w over a gram of salt in them.

Cons: not cool , not even close to being cool, posers

Holy Cow is a good option - Edit

One of the FEW eating establishments in Eugene that serves almost 100% organic vegetarian food! And their prices are reasonable for Organic food. I have eaten at their U of O Campus location many times in college, and have eaten at their restaurant on Willamette probably over 50 times with mostly good experiences. They are consistent and have great tasting items on their menu. Their Pad Thai is not very good in my opinion-too sour and weird tasting. I have been to Thailand a few times though, so I am kind of a Thai Food snob. Overall, I would recommend them.

As far as serving meat goes, I own a food service business that does NOT use any meat, dairy, or eggs, but I understand why they decided to serve meat. It is very hard to make a profit in this town if only marketing to vegetarians-who do not make up the majority of customers here. This is an unfortunate reality, and hopefully someday it will change.

Pros: Consistent, Reasonable prices, Organic! Yay

Cons: Pad Thai isn't very good in my opinion, They serve a lot of meat

Organic Food, Great Variety, Locally Sourced - Edit

I was really surprised to see the negative review below for one of my favorite restaurants. I just joined Happy Cow, after years of using it whenever I travel, and I must let readers know - The Holy Cow restaurant is exactly what I try to find in other cities (usually unsuccessfully!).

First off, their food is organically grown and non-GMO. That's really important to me. I'm not a junk-food-vegetarian, and when I eat out, I want to eat real, whole, organic, and preferably locally-sourced food. With disclosed ingredients!

My favorite dished are their Indian dishes (the saag, and the vegetable curry or korma), which come with tasty chutneys as sides. My second favorite are their Carribean and Latin American dishes. Apparently, the owners have traveled a lot. They also have great soups, a salad bar with house-made dressings, and a daily special. They have local beers on tap, really tasty seasonal ciders, and kombucha on tap. Love that kombucha!

Another key feature - much of their menu is gluten free and corn free. Plus, the staff will give you the ingredients book to check any ingredients in the food! That's really amazing, and a lifesaver for me, as I have food allergies.

Holy Cow is the sort of place I can take clients for a casual meal or drink, and always know that my clients will be able to find something to eat- no matter their food sensibilities. I've met clients here who clearly were more accustomed to eating at Denny's, and they still found enjoyable food. I recall a couple getting the fish tacos and French fries, and thinking they were some of the best they'd tasted. Those fries really are, I must admit!

Lastly, Holy Cow has a kids menu which is simple, and sized and priced right. I often eat from the kids menu, as the adult menu portion sizes are big. I.E, if I want pad thai, I order the kids portion and just get more veggies. That's a really nice meal.

Pros: great organic food, food allergy aware, friendly staff

Cons: outdoor seating is noisy

Love Holy Cow! - Edit

I don’t understand why there are such scathing reviews. Why the hate? Actually, I do understand why someone who is fanatical about not eating meat (i.e. “They Kill Here”) would trash an establishment that serves it. But Holy Cow is one of my and my wife’s favorite places to eat in Eugene. Yes, they serve some meat dishes (chicken and fish). But like all their food it is all organic, non-GMO (not easy to do these days) and sustainably sourced.

I almost always order the vegetarian dishes at Holy Cow, because they are delicious. My favorites periodically change between the Thai Tofu and Pad Thai dishes to the Shiitake Stirfry (not on the menu anymore) and Calypso Tofu. I also really enjoy ordering the Saag Paneer every now and then. All of those dishes are very tasty! And the fries are AWESOME! It has always been fun and rewarding trying the daily specials. There is also a salad bar that my wife has enjoyed many times. And we both really appreciate the kombucha on tap.

The owner is friendly and very open to feedback. And the staff is really wonderful. So, I am very confused by 1 star ratings of a place that puts so much effort into quality, delicious foods and friendly service. I know many people who feel the same way I do and hope that they take the time to write a review as well.

P.S. I would give HC a 5 cow rating, but the max rating allowed on this site for places that serve meat is 4 cows.

Pros: Great Food, Sustainable / Organic / Non-GMO, Friendly Staff

Return to Eugene Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Holy Cow on Willamette closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1197 times since May 2011.