Holland and Barrett - Eldon Square

• Health-food-store Health Store
+44-1912614259

Unit E3 Blackett Bridge, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England, NE1 7XJ

UK healthfood chain store. Stocks vegetarian and vegan food, frozen food, vitamins and nutritional supplements, toiletries, dried pulses, beans and fruits, dairy and gluten free confectionery and more Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-8:00pm, Sun 9:00am-7:00pm, Sun 11:00am-5:00pm.

First Review by hack_man

A nice refurbishment - Edit

H&B has recently been refurbished - they've taken over the next unit and made the store much bigger. There's now chiller cabinets with veggie and vegan food, including vegan milks and cheeses and a wide range of foodstuffs, including a nice selection of teas and snacks/confectionary. They also sell a decent selection of cosmetics and skincare stuff - I've bought a few vegan cruelty-free things there.

There are a few interesting 'bar' type areas of the store - a pick n mix full of seeds, nuts, dried fruit and various chocolate-covered things. There's also a gelatine-free jellybean bar and a display of scented wax discs in millions of scents to put in oil burners.

With a H&B loyalty card and all their usual sales and offers, it's a lovely store.

There's one major negative for me: I can't stand being hot and the store is as hot as the sun. All their beautifully-lit displays conspire to make it unbearably hot. i don't know how the staff cope! This stops me from browsing for too long and I usually leave after getting what I came for. For this reason, I can't give 5 stars.

Pros: Good selection, Friendly staff, Lots of offers

Cons: Hot as hell

Lacking in choice - Edit

I paid a visit for some supplements but they din't have what I wanted as a veggie version. The staff were rather pushy and repeatedly tried to sell me something I did't need.
Very little in the way of food other than a little chocolate, no frozen or chilled.
They seem to be more interested in body builders from the range they are stocking.

Pros: a little veggie vegan chocolate

Cons: body building stuff, pushy staff, non veggie supplements

Bright Modern Store - Edit

This store is a bit too modern for me located in a newly refurbished part of one of my least favourite indoor UK shopping centres. It's bright and too clinical inside with much focus on vitamins and body builder protein supplements. Maybe this is the type of client they are trying to attract as the other branch of H&B located on the Bigg Market is so much better. I don't recall there being a fridge or freezer section here either so the vegetarian and vegan food is mainly in either the tinned or dried format. I suppose if you are in the area have a look, there's bound to be something of interest.

Cons: protein powders, too bright inside

Return to Newcastle Upon Tyne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Holland and Barrett - Eldon Square closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.