First Review by veganmiss

Relief from high prices at restuarants - Edit

I was so happy to find this store and stock up on stuff to keep in my hotel room for meals. I wish I had stopped here for my first shopping trip instead of dropping $100 at a standard grocery store. The bulk bins here are wonderful and they had a great selection of veg* products. The produce selection was small but I think it was all locally grown. Will shop here again.

Pros: friendly cashiers, vegan junk food

Cons: hard to find on the back street

Small Selection and More Expensive than Papaya's - Edit

We found this store to have a smaller selection and to be a little more expensive than Papaya's. Plus they didn't have as much prepared food. Takes forever to check out.

Cons: small selection

Fill up for my stay in Kawaii - Edit

This is one of the markets that I usually visit on my way from the airport to the north shore to fill up for my stay. I get many of the veg items I need for my island stay. I was new to this place on my last trip to Kawaii and it is a very nice add to the mix.

Best Prices and selection - Edit

Hoku foods is our go to health food store. If you want a good selection of organic, vegetarian food this is the place. Harvest Market and Papayas is very spendy and you can find the same thing for much less at Hoku.

Pros: Price, Selection, Location

Cons: very small produce selection

amazing for the location - Edit

This store has a decent selection of general items. We were thrilled with their gluten free chips (Beanitos). They also carry a few types of Daiya cheese and goat milk yogurt. These were life savers for us. They have some different products than I've seen at home, like GF veggie burgers that were great (Hilary's). Several brands of raw coconut macaroons that are excellent snack food while travelign teh island. As far as I could tell, they did not have one single brand of roasted nut butter - they were all raw and $$. Expect a very large mark up on everything. The produce is very limited and VERY expensive - check the local farmer's markets for that. Also, even though I shopped this store 5 of 6 days on the island, they are not friendly - it didn't even seem like they recognized me after 5 days in a row.

Pros: get things you can't elsewhere, healthy staples to get you through

Cons: prohibitively expensive, not so friendly staff

Poor Marketing Customer Decessions - Edit

My wife and I both have been big users of this market for years. I recently however purchased a bottle of SALAD Dressing didn’t have my glasses that day so couldn’t read fine print till I got home. When read I discovered the SALAD Dressing had enough sodium in it for 3 bottles of dressing. I took the bottle back next time I was in the store just expecting to trade it out as I was in there buying other items! Well I was informed that without my receipt they wouldn’t even trade it out. This is a $5-6 bottle of SALAD dressing and I am standing there ready to check out with $60-75 worth of new purchases in my hand. I only keep credit card receipts a few days and didn’t have the one for the SALAD dressing with me. BOTTOM LINE they refused to exchange the SALAD dressing without it. My only choice to be true to my beliefs on customer service was take my SALAD dressing and purchase no new items further from this store. It is a shame I liked their store and they lost a customer who only ask for an exchange and on a customer average spent $175.00-$325.00 a month in their store. Certain decisions involving customers and service can be made in a vacuum and hurt everyone-this was a stupid one!

Pros: Very Decent selection

Cons: Badly need help on customer service area

Hoku Foods Rules! - Edit

Hoku Foods is probably the best health food store on the island of Kauai. It has the best prices and a great bulk section. It also has some nice fresh produce, but the fresh produce section is quite small. So it's best to stock up on dry goods and bulk items here and go to the local Farmer's Markets for fresh tropical produce straight from the farms.

Hoku also does not have a deli.

Pros: Low Prices, Great Bulk Section, Vegan Dry Goods

Cons: No Deli, Small Produce Selection, Closes at 6pm

Fantastic store in Kapaa - Edit

This is my favourite store in Kauai. It offers a good section of fresh organic produce and health food items. The energy is really nice in there... with an 'authentic' vibe.

I am always able to find whatever I need. The 'weigh your own section' is good value too.

Pros: Value for money, good produce, authentic vibe

Cons: none

Return to Kapaa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hoku Foods Natural Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1433 times since Jul 2009.