Hoa Sen Vegetarian Restaurant

Contact 714-537-0077

12180 Brookhurst St, Garden Grove, California, USA, 92840

Hoa Sen means "lotus" in Vietnamese. Features a large menu with items such as crispy fried rice, coconut soup in hot pot, rice crepes, vermicelli noodles, mock meats, and Vietnamese appetizers. Vegans to specify.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by Boxer

Not my favorite. - Edit

Asked the server which options were vegan considering the fat that the restaurant advertises as vegetarian. The server said that everything on the menu was 100% vegan yet for some reason I really didn't trust it. Decided to try it anyways and honestly, nothing was really that great. we asked for spring rolls and we're given egg rolls, which were a lot heavier on our stomachs than we wanted. my boyfriend ordered the wanton noodle soup which was fine and I ordered the braised fish in a clay pot which had a very strange texture and afterward I felt absolutely awful. I don't think I'll be visiting there again.

Pros: good chai tea

Cons: Suspicious servise, Non appetizing food

Hit or Miss - Edit

I have always had a good experience with the food which is always yummy of the things I've tried. It appears to be a family-run business with the parents in the kitchen and the children as servers. I always get my food quickly but then the service does a disappearing act either behind the cash register or back in the kitchen. I come here because it's close the food is good and consistent. The food is fairly priced. But the service is always a hit or miss.

Pros: food, priced well, food comes out quickly

Cons: follow up service, no checking with after the food, Son/server hides behind the cash register playing

Meh - Edit

I went here for the first time and ordered out. The mock chicken wasn't cooked right. On the chicken salad it was dried out and in the lemon grass chicken it was overcooked and burnt on some pieces. This place is alright but not on top of it's game. I strongly suggest going to Thuyen Vien down the street for same prices and a better menu.

Pros: uses mock meats, reasonably priced

Cons: poorly cooked, not the friendliest staff

Had a Bad Experience - Edit

I don't normally write bad reviews, but perhaps the one day I went here happened to be a "bad day" for them, because the server was this young girl who didn't know a thing about serving. My dad was with me and ordered a coffee and told her more than once that he's diabetic and doesn't want sugar... she comes back ages later with this super sweet coffee... c'mon. For food I ordered a noodle soup and some teriyaki soy chicken & rice. The noodles in the soup were awful, like Campbell's. The teriyaki soy chicken did taste delicious, but I can't say the same for the rice. They didn't have brown rice, just white, and in the rice I bit into a hard, white, plastic pellet! Almost cracked my tooth! I couldn't believe it. Awful waitress, bad noodles, plastic piece in rice. What the hey? =/

Cons: Service, Noodles, Plastic in food

vegie chef rated - Edit

As a gourmet veg.chef and former award winning restaurant owner,I am always looking for good vegie rest. In my area. Happy cowed because I left another vietnamese rest.due to over pricing and small portions. I have been here three times and I am quite impressed. Servers are sweet,I think its all vegan seems like traditional viet fare. Good portions and fare pricing.lloyd i

Authentic Vietnamese food! - Edit

The Thai tea is absolutely delicious. Since going vegan, I haven't had Thai tea in ages so I was ecstatic! I ordered the crispy rice which was tasty and would definitely recommend it. The only thing I found weird was the mock meat used on that dish looks red. The other dish we has was the soy beef with egg rolls on top of vermecilli. Just a note that if you don't like lemon, you will hate this dish. Secondly, there was tons of peppermint which I also dislike but that's a quick fix. Just tell them not to put it in your
bowl if that is the case. Overall, this place had good food and was very cheap. For two teas, an appetizer, and two dishes it came out to $20 with tip. I will definitely be going back!

Delicious - Edit

My wife and I ordered the spring rolls with the faux-shrimp and the crispy/fried "dough". It was the crispy "thingy" that won us over. These are the best spring rolls we have had until now and we have tried many spring rolls from many vegetarian/vegan restaurants. We ordered these for our Christmas dinner and our meat-lover relatives really enjoyed the spring rolls.

Pros: good value, friendly staff

Wow. Food and service were excellent! - Edit

What else is there to say. Food and service were excellent and their prices are great. Nothing fancy here but very nice and very clean. Had the Pho and bun, delicious.

Return to Garden Grove Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hoa Sen Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3464 times since May 2009.