First Review by emilyt_w

cheaper alternative to silvoplee - Edit

This restaurant is one block behind silvoplee which is the probably best vegetarian restaurant in town. The buffet in this one wasn't as good but it was cheaper at around 10 euros. The food was a bit hit and miss, but in a buffet this isn't a problem since you can choose what you like.

The staff was friendly. They would probably have more business if they weren't so close to Silvoplee.

Pros: same price as non vegan lunch places, fully vegan

Cons: tables didn't seem clean, not exactly the most pleasant looking interior, location not easy to get to unless you live nearby

Not for me - Edit

If you want to eat a cheap all you can eat vegan food, this is a perfect place for you.

It was unfortunately a big disappointment for me.
Food was not good (over cooked, not warm enough, and found a hair in the food).

The place was cold and the food was also not warm, so left me cold in a mid winter...

The staffs do not speak English but friendly.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: Not good food, Cold place and food, Away from city center

Great value buffet - Edit

Very nice fully vegan buffet, which included three hot dishes - during my visit a tofu curry, imitation beef curry, and paella-type dish, as well as sushi, a selection of salad items, potatoes, sauces, and hot drinks. Refills of food and hot drinks were allowed, so all in all it was very good value at 9,80 Euros per person. There doesn't seem to be a non-buffet menu or cakes etc, but at that price I'd just go for the buffet anyway - everything was delicious and after two plates I was full for the whole afternoon.

Pros: inexpensive, tasty, free refills

Cons: no toilets

Excellent lunch restaurant - Edit

Lunch contains two warm dishes, a salad table with sushi collection and coffee/tea and everything is vegan. I had vegan "beef" and noodles which were both super delicious. Sushi rolls were a little bit dry but otherwise everything else was fresh and tasty.

Pros: Good fake meat selection, Fusion kitchen (hummus & sushi lunch), Beautiful interior and friendly staff

Cons: Cash only but this will be changing soon

Friendly Asian, like Loving Hut - Edit

While visiting Finland in May/June 2012 I ate with HoDai people about 3 times: once I went to their restaurant in Helsinki and a few times I ate with them in festivals.
It was a nice experience meeting the friendly staff, receiving good service and yummy food.

They were not 100% vegan by the way, since they offered dairy milk and cream with coffee in their restaurant but they told about it and offered also soy milk.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food, Good service

Cons: Unclear opening times, Sometimes crowded during lunch hour

Nice asian buffet - Edit

We visited this little restaurant during a short stop in Helsinki. Staff was very friendly and the food was nice. Some hot dishes including vegan fish (which tasted a lot like fish if you like that) personally i perfered the other hot dishes since i'm not a big fan of the fish taste but still a fun thing to try. They also had some cold dishes like sallads, sushi and such.

Pros: Nice food, Friendly staff, Easy to find

The restaurant I have been waiting for - Edit

My first taste of the cuisine of this venue was at a fast food stand some years back at a music festival. Their spring rolls were big and tasty. Then I found out that they have the Loving Hut restaurant chain and I've been wishing they open a restaurant near me. Now I'm very happy Ho Dai opened in Helsinki. Not only do they have fast food spring rolls but a really great buffet with various dishes and salads and it was really really good. I'm not a friend of faux meat dishes but their "duck" and "fish" (vegan, of course) were interesting and good. I really support their philosophy too, saving the world by going vegan. I wish their restaurant succeeds in business and they can expand to other cities. Helsinki now has almost as many vegetarian restaurants you would expect in a capital city.

Pros: variety, taste, pure vegan

Cons: I don't live next door to it

You better hope they are open or can be contacted - Edit

My family and I had one day to spend in Helsinki and we thought this would be a great lunch restaurant based on a previous review. We could not reach them by phone internationally, there was no e-mail address and when we got there after walking for a while with kids from the ship terminal, they were closed at lunch time on a Wednesday. It was not a Finnish holiday, they were open the day before. There was no notice on the door or anything. We came back an hour later in hopes that they would be open, and they never were. It sounded like a great place, however since there seems to be no way to contact them internationally we'll never know. Needless to say we were very dissapointed.

Pros: hip neighborhood, looked decent from outside, friendly neighbor

Cons: closed midweek on lunch, unreachable by phone, unreachable by e-mail

Fresh, asian & lovely service - Edit

Glad we ventured to find this small, quiet place. Buffet style with fresh mainly asian feel vegan (run by vietnamese family who speak finnish and vietnamese only - really lovely, they insisted we take food take away because we didn't go back for seconds, because we were so full!). Cheap meal for a buffet - $7.90 euro. Well worth it for a lovely meal with vegan and non-vegan friends would enjoy if you're in Helsinki :)

Return to Helsinki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ho Dai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6729 times since May 2012.