Hitsuji-no-kaze

• Bakery Bakery
  • Vegan
Contact +810-758620021

Sagahirosawa, Minamino-cho 12-2 (at Marutamachi St, Minamino-cho), Kyoto, Japan, 6168304

Very rare vegan bakery in Kyoto. Serves 30 to 40 kinds of hand-made-in-house breads. Try the one with Japanese green tea cream (cream is made of Japanese soy milk and 100% organic green tea also grown in Uji, Kyoto). Uses 100% Japanese flour, all handmade, spelt flour bread available, no refined sugar, all beet sugar. Located near Arashiyama where the famous Bamboo Forrest is located. You can easily access on your way back to the center of the city from the popular tourist site of Arashiyama. Open hours are irregular - call ahead.

First Review by TakaTaxi

Vegan heaven!! - Edit

Where do I start?!
This bakery is the best place ever!! The food is amazing, everything we had was 10/10, the fluffiest bread I've ever tasted. We tried the pumpkin pizza, banana filled bun, walnut and fig bun and chocolate filled bun. The banana and pizza were our favourite (not taking anything away from the chocolate!) The owners were without a doubt the nicest people we have come across in Japan, we were sad to leave them! Soooo helpful in every way possible and just lovely to spend time with. We wish this place was closer to our motel. Vegan or not, you must visit this place!

THE BAKERY OF DREAMS - Edit

I created a HappyCow account solely to review this wonderful, glorious bakery. Thank god for Happy Cow for helping me find it and thank god for the beautiful Mom and Pop owners of this establishment for OPERATING PARADISE ON A DAILY BASIS. Dropped less than $30 USD for 2 of everything in the place (an absurdly good deal) which included YAKISOBA BREAD, BANANA CREAM BREAD, MELON BREAD, TWO DIFFERENT KINDS OF PIZZA (?!?!?!) CAROB CREAM BREAD, SWEET POTATO BREAD, and my personal favorite--- MATCHA CREAM BREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! absolute insanity. (and so much more!!!) All vegan and all carefully made with love. Do yourself a favor- book a one-way to Kyoto ASAP and find residence close to the bamboo grove (where this humble shop is conveniently located by!)
xoxoxo,
@theboundlessbanana

世界で一番美味しいです ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-28

Pros: Endless Selection, Wonderful, Kind Staff, Did I mention the VEGAN MATCHA CREAM BREAD?

Cons: I don't live in Kyoto.

So Good - Edit

We heard about this bakery after staying with the owner's daughter on airbnb. The owner, is a self taught baker who produces a wide variety of delicious vegan sweets and breads on site.

If you're visiting Kyoto, you are likely to visit Arashiyama. This is halfway between Uzumasa and Arashiyama stations on the JR line.

This is an amazing find in Kyoto, you won't be disappointed. e

Pros: Friendly owner, Affordable prices, Delicious

Cons:

Vegan, Natural Fermentation and 100% Japanese - Edit

Kyoto is a city where you can find many good bakeries. But I give NO.1 rating to "Hitsuji-no-kaze" (literally means "Wind of Sheep" in Japanese) for the following reasons: 1. They add no yeast, even natural one. Their breads are all naturally fermented, which creates such a gentle and subtle taste. I love the simplicity of the taste those breads have. 2. The stuffing is peerless too. They use safe and natural ingredients all deliberately grown by Japanese local farmers. For example, they have various cream stuffing, utilizing soy bean powder (Kinako), organic decaffeinated cacao powder, 100% naturally grown green tea powder and so forth, all of which are so delicious. 3. The bakery is run by a kind Japanese couple who are so friendly and creating a warm and relaxing atmosphere in the shop where they have a couple of seats for those who like to eat in with a cup of coffee, tea or herbal tea. I really recommend anybody, whether you are vegetarian or non-vegetarian, to stop by "Hitsuji-no-kaze" for a lunch or snack break and taste carefully made breads only available here.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 14, 2016

Pros: Naturally fermented, Organic and safe ingredients, Unparalleled stuffing and breads

Cons: Sold out quickly, Limited production

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hitsuji-no-kaze closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.