CLOSED: Hitoto

Contact 0422-46-0337

Kichijoji Minamicho 1-6-7, Musashino, Tokyo, Japan,

Organic restaurant close to Kichijoji station; previously named Base Cafe. Serves food after 6:30pm. Vegan seasonal macrobiotic food, several kinds of sweets. FEB 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Sun 6:30pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic

First Review by Bishkabee

Loved It - Edit

I ate here last year. Just realised I never completed my review. Had trouble finding the place- weird location- but when i finally found it, the food was really good. Unfortunately its been a year so I cant remember exactly what I ate- I just remember thinking I've got to come back here. I kinda wished they had a branch in central Tokyo as well.
Updated from previous review on Friday August 08, 2014

Pros: great food

Cons: location a bit hard to find., walk-up

Interesting Vegan/Macrobiotic menu - Edit

We've been to Hitoto a couple of times since it re-opened under the new name. It has an interesting interior and good atmosphere - usually pretty busy at lunchtimes. When we visited you could choose 3 deli items to have with a set with rice, pickles and miso soup - the food is interesting, tasty and filling and I enjoy trying things I wouldn't normally make at home.

The menu is entirely in Japanese and staff don't have much English so you may struggle if you don't speak/read Japanese but they are lovely and friendly and will do their best to help!

Pros: Solid Japanese vegan offerings, Offbeat atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Quite small so fills up quickly, Up several flights of stairs, no lift

Pricey food in small portions - Edit

We finally found this place after help from a very helpful Japanese lady who knew Base Cafe had changed its name to "att". There is a sign with the new name next to a doorway after the bridge indicated on the map. You go up a lot of steep stairs, feeling almost like you might pop out into someone's loft space! The restaurant is very rustic and the staff friendly. They speak hardly any English though and there is no English menu, but one member of staff went through and translated it as best he could which was very nice. We had an orange juice and a fruit pie as it turned out they did not start serving savoury/main meals until 6:30pm or so, which was a shame as we had read other reviewers had been there for lunch.

We found the prices pretty expensive considering the size of the food. The juice (700yen), although very nice, wouldnt last long if you were thirsty and the fruit pie (800yen)was as big as a mince pie. Ok if you like minimalist style food, but we were hoping for something a little more substantial, so didn't stick around for dinner.
P.s. you might need help translating the bill too!
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 07, 2013

Pros: Interesting atmosphere

Cons: Expensive, Very small portions size, Only deserts until the evening

Vegan food in Kichijoji! - Edit

The food there is very healthy - all natural, no additives, very low fat. However, I found the food to be a bit bland. I would have preferred stronger flavours.

Seemed to be a bit on the pricier side, but I guess it's just normal for Tokyo.

It's an interesting place, nice interior. worth visiting.

Pros: Very healthy food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Limited selection of food

Vegan Food Near Ghibli Museum - Edit

The marker on the map is a little off. There is a train that splits off from the main tracks and this place is just past the overpass for those offshoot tracks. It is up three flights of steep stairs, so be mindful if you have mobility issues. There was no English menu. We ordered the first of two lunch sets. It came with salad, some vegetable tempura, miso soup, rice and a couple of side dishes. The food wasn't super exciting but it was filling. The best was the miso soup, very savory.

Pros: vegan outside of the city center, tasty miso soup, friendly staff

Cons: steep stairs, took a while to find, no english

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Hitoto closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3498 times since Feb 2013.