Hippies Pizza

Contact 248-733-1111

121 E 13 Mile, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA, 48067

Serves meat, vegan options available. Delivery or carry-out only, no dine-in. Could order pizza in four different styles (Detroit, Chicago, LA, New York) and can be made vegan with vegan cheese and toppings like vegan sausage and tofu. Also makes vegan cheesy breadsticks, cinnamon breadsticks, BBQ tofu subs, and vegan calzones. This restaurant is Michigan family owned, and the soda served is "Home Grown Faygo". Previously named Pizzallica.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Delivery, Take-out only, Non-veg

First Review by Cassidy

Gary Yourofsky made a video about this place and I had to come check it out. Duuude. It was so good, I ate three pizzas all by myself. The gluten-free crust was SO GOOD. Everything was vegan and gluten-free. The vegan sausage was excellent. The owner was super chill.

Pros: Killer gluten-free crust, Great vegan cheese, Amazing vegan sausage

Cons: More expensive than normal pizza

Best Pizza I've Ever Had - Edit

Duuude. It was so good, I ate three pizzas all by myself. Everything was vegan and gluten-free. The vegan sausage was excellent. The vegan cheese is better than real cheese. The owner was super chill. The gluten-free crust was GOOD.

Pros: Killer gluten-free crust, Great vegan cheese, Amazing vegan sausage

Cons: More expensive than normal pizza

super good but pricey - Edit

Very good vegan & gluten free pizzas! So happy that there is a place where it's not just one or the other, but both at once.
I got a small gf vegan pizza with veg chz, sauce, mushrooms and spinach. Very good!
My boyfriend got small gf/veg with v chz, sauce, v pepperoni, v Italian sausage, and tomatoes. He was really impressed at how good it was, him and his bro both agreed that real meat is totally unnecessary when you have alternatives like this!
My only complaint is the price, $40 for both. But that's what you pay for delicious convenient vegan food (until it gets more popular of course!)! Will definitely return.

Pros: gluten free , vegan , delicious

Cons: price

good vegan food. weird vibe. - Edit

So, let me start this by saying I'm not complaining about a Daiya pizza and vegan cinnamon breadsticks in Royal Oak Michigan! One of my husband's best friends live here so we always end up getting Hippies when we visit.

And we love it! It's tasty and I always return for more. The place definitely had tons of "character." Now the details.

PROS:

Daiya. Cinnamon sticks. Delicious dough. Vegan pizzas on the menu!

CONS:

The people who work here can be... Quirky! Maybe even slightly less than professional. For example:

When ordering vegan butter for the crust, we were told it wouldn't be as good as real butter. :)

She asked if we were both vegan and said it was "too bad" that we were, because she wanted to give us free buttery breadsticks. ;) Sadly their breadsticks aren't vegan.

The time it takes to make a pizza is a little lengthy. Last time we were promised 25 minutes. It ended up being 55. We waited in the cold and small waiting area with only a space heater while the workers bickered ... we felt super awkward.

Another time, when I called to order on the phone, I was told to "wait" because I was talking too fast and she couldn't take my order. At a normal pizza place, you could just say "a large X pizza with X" and they would understand. But Hippies is definitely not a normal pizza place. :) It's a special one.

Finally, I do think the food is a little expensive. It's around $20 for a medium vegan pizza... And from there, they up charge you $3.50 for vegan pepperoni.

The pizza here is a hidden gem in Michigan! I just would take your encounters with their workers not too seriously. And enjoy your vegan pizza. You will like it.

Pros: Daiya, cinnamon sticks (vegan)

Cons: wait time, slightly unprofessional staff, cost

Love this place!!!! - Edit

I can finally order pizza that feels like pizza! They have veg pepperoni, sausage and cheese! Plus tons of other great toppings. We order from here all the time. Plus they will make 7-11 runs for you and are open until 3am on the weekends for those late night munchies!

Pros: Veggi Options, Late night delivery, Deliciouse

Cons: Price

Hippies Pizza - Vegan Pizza - Edit

So I have tried Hippies Pizza several times in the past, but I figured I would order a custom pizza this time so the experience was fresh in my mind.

Atmosphere - This location is a bit small and tucked back away from the street. Personally when I go, I like to sit out front where they have a table and a couple bar stools so you can enjoy the day while they prepare your food. The staff on hand is very friendly and welcoming, even when you don't know what you want (like me! lol) most of the time.

Meal - For starters, their menu and topping options are HUGE. I ordered a small pie with vegan (Daiya) cheese, vegan pepperoni, onion, green pepper and mushrooms. So your classic Supreme style pie, but done vegan style. Having never tried Daiya, I was thoroughly impressed. It melted very well over the pizza and wasn't overpowering like your everyday mozzarella can be. Their veggie pepperoni had a somewhat strong spice to it with a hint of pepperoni flavor. One thing that I truly appreciated, however, was that they keep vegan options for a flavored crust. Olive oil and herb, or a vegan-friendly butter with herb. (I, personally, was very fond of the 'special herb' mixture that they have. It tastes great if you ask them to sprinkle it over the entire pie.)

All around, I was very satisfied as I had never tried the vegan pepperoni before this past meal. It's a great option for delivery, or picking up on your way home where you can relax. It unfortunately doesn't have dine-in, as it a smaller business.

Pros: Delivery, Friendly Service, Multiple Vegan Options

Cons: No Dine-In

Return to Royal Oak Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hippies Pizza closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1870 times since Aug 2010.