HipCityVeg

Contact n/a

712 7th St NW (at Washington DC), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20001

Fast-casual vegan cafe from Philly. This is its 3rd outlet, est. summer 2016. Serves vegan versions of burgers and sandwiches. Uses compostable packaging. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Brookeguarry

Amazing - Edit

This place is incredible! the Philly steak sandwich was so delicious. Fast and great service even with the crowds from the Women's March. Highly recommended paying HipCityVeg a visit!

Pros: All plant based and delicious.

filling and friendly - Edit

Right in the thick of the tourist area, near to Chinatown. Staff are so friendly and happily explain the specials and make recommendations. I had the giant Philly cheese steak and a root beer. So tasty and so much food! Going back again with room for puddings and hot chocolate. Takes the stress out of traveling as a vegan!

Pros: big portions, all plant based, open late

Sunshine Greetings!!! - Edit

This place is not far from China Town metro stop.
It's fast food but definitely healthy ;)
Really love the friendly staff who served us at the counter.
It's 100% vegan and they used compost able plastic ware.
Vegan, delicious, healthy and green. What else would you ask for.

Amazing food, great portion sizes, and decent price!! - Edit

We chose this place because we were on a quest for a vegan philly cheese steak. We ordered the philly steak and cripsy hipcity ranch sandwiches (swapped the ranch for buffalo to make it spicy). Both sandwiches were to DIE for! Also got two mylkshakes as well that were great portion sizes for the price. I have ordered vegan mylkshakes that were half the size and almost twice the price! We will be back for sure!

Pros: Awesome mylkshake prices!, All packing and plastics are recycled and can go t

Cons: wouldn't tell us the secret peppercorn ranch r

NYE Dinner😃 - Edit

We had such a great meal! It was a first vegan meal out for my girlfriend who is not vegan and she loved it! We had the best customer service! I never got her name but the tall beautiful women with red hair was so energetic and helpful! After having dinner, I went back to the counter and got a mylkshake. After taking my order, she remembered my name from before! Amazing! I'll totally go back! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! 🌱❤

Great chik'n - Edit

I ordered the Hip City ranch and really, really enjoyed it. They did an amazing job with the chik'n patty - the texture is unbelievable. It's also complemented well with the freshness of the veggies and pickles and the fattiness of the mayo, and the multigrain bun brings it all together in a beautiful package. Overall, the burger is pretty simple, but every ingredient is fresh and delicious. I'd highly recommend checking this place out.

Pros: Great chik'n, Fresh ingredients

Can't go wrong!! - Edit

I got the Udon Noodle Salad and it was DELICIOUS. Took both of my meat-eating parents and they got burgers which they really enjoyed. Extremely friendly staff. Very limited seating, fits 12 total. Pumpkin spice cupcake- YUM!

Sit in or outside the Portrait Gallery - Edit

A good addition to DC, very central and convenient location. There’s basically no seating, so I want to tell you where to sit.

The steps of the National Portrait Gallery are a good option if the weather is nice. If you’re there when the gallery is open, take your food inside. The museum has a huge, very nice seating area with a bunch of tables, right in the center of the museum. Go in using either entrance, and walk straight ahead and you can’t miss it. You’re allowed to bring food in. I mean, don’t eat your food right up on a painting of George Washington or something (duh), but you CAN bring your food into the central cafeteria/seating area.

I like the food, but I haven’t been itching to head back because it’s a little pricey. I paid $12 for a “chicken” sandwich, not realizing I was paying a $1 extra to get it spicy. But even $11, for a sandwich with no side and no drink (and no seating!), that’s a bit much for me. If I’m in this area during lunchtime on a weekday, I definitely check out the food trucks first. They line up along 7th Street, there’s always some with vegan options, and they’re cheaper.

If I want this type of food specifically and I'm not worried about location, I would just go to NuVegan Cafe, not just because it's cheaper but because it's the best restaurant I've ever been to. However the location of HipCityVeg really can't be beat.

Pros: Delicious, Location!

Cons: So expensive for fast food!, No seating

so yummy! - Edit

Went with my family and they loved the food! They even have chocolate milkshakes which is a huge plus for me. Employee names Jasmine was so welcoming, fun, and kind. I will definitely be back!

Pros: atmosphere , staff

Ok food, good location, mainly for takeaway - Edit

Been here 3 times, the food has been only ok each time (and I've had different things). Very small area for seating, best for takeaway. It is well located near the Gallery Place metro.

Pros: Location

Awesome vegan milkshakes! - Edit

I love the selection of food at HipCityVeg...the quality is excellent and super yum. I have been to other locations in Philly, but this was my first time at the DC location. I ordered the orange creamsicle milkshake and the Lil' Golden Nugs. The milkshake was exactly what a creamsicle should be: sweet and nicely balanced between tart orange and creaminess. I could drink this everyday...And the chicken nuggets and sweet potato fries were really great and crispy. You have a choice of 2 dipping sauces, and I opted for the sriracha aioli (it was good, but not super spicy, and had a bit of tartness probably from lemon...I would try the other sauce next time!). There are a few tables and some area to eat and stand along the wall, but you might want to plan for grabbing takeout in case you can't find a seat. Great vegan option and I'm glad it has finally opened!!!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Seating

yummy vegan comfort food - Edit

I have been to the restaurant I half-dozen times, and I am generally pleased to have another vegan option in downtown Washington. The service has always been spectacular and the food quite delicious. The Ziggy Burger and the Philly steak sandwich are my two go-to menu items. And, the fries are amazing! When I have tried to go low-calorie, however, I've been disappointed. The Jerk Chikn Salad it's pretty skimpy on the vegan chickn - it's basically lettuce with four small strips of protein on top. The other major downside to the location is that there is very limited seating.

Pros: consistently yummy, vegan, friendly service

Cons: very limited seating

HipCityVeg - Edit

I tried this place today and got the Crispy HipCity Ranch sandwich and it was delicious! I tend to be a little skeptical (as a true omnivore) of meat substitutions, but I was pleasantly surprised...it taste better than chicken. The sweet potato fries were good too. Definitely plan to go back.

Pros: Food was delicious!, Large portions, Staff very friendly and helpful

Cons: Small space so not a lot of seating options, Can get a little pricey

quickie vegan meal - Edit

Nice to order off a menu that is all vegan! Definitely falls into the "comfort food" category -- not healthy food. I had the disco chick'n sandwich and it was super good. Sweet potato fries also super good -- they are thick. No room to sit so we took our dinner to go. The staff was very friendly and it was nice to see the place was filled with people. Wrap up your meal with a vegan cupcake -- there were multiple flavors and all looked tasty.

Pros: convenient location , super friendly staff , fast food

Cons: limited seating

the fries!! - Edit

Delicious! The yummiest sweet potato fries and tempeh bacon around. The burgers were amazing! The space is a little small, so standing and eating was the only option, except the bench without stools were a bit low, so a bit of an effort. Definitely go back if I get time!

consistently good - Edit

Found this place on my own and had a great marinated tofu wrap that was unusually tasty. It was so good I brought my wife back the next day and the two sandwiches we had that day were equally good. Would seek this place out. There's not much in the way of either seating or ambiance but the good food and friendly staff more than make up for this.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-06

Pros: above-average tasty fast food

Cons: not much seating

Best Vegan food I've had - Edit

Recently are here for dinner and was beyond impressed with the quality and taste of the food. My boyfriend who had never been to a vegan restaurant before was blown away at how delicious everything was. Only wish there was more seating

Amazing sandwiches! - Edit

This place was my HQ when I visited Washington. The location is central and food so good! Even my omnivorous friend was really fond of it, especially of the Philly steak sandwich. I really love their sandwiches, the sweet potato fries and the milkshakes. Prices are very fair for what you get in terms of quality and quantity. I recommend the place without a doubt.

Pros: excellent food, fair prices, central location, friendly staff

perfect lunch spot! - Edit

I've been to one of the philly locations of this place and so excited it's finally in DC too! It's really too good to do justice with words, but I can say -- I loved the udon noodle/arugula salad bowl and the "just banana" soft serve topped w chocolate chip cookie . This is a superb work lunch break option to take non-vegan colleagues to. Fast, affordable, tasty, fresh real food. The space is very small, so you might have trouble seating a large group but you can get takeout and eat on the art gallery steps just a minute or so walk south.

absolutely amazing - Edit

This is probably the best vegan food I have ever had, and I don't use that phrase lightly. I live in New York so I've had my fair share of amazing vegan food and gone to plenty of great vegan restaurants; nothing compares to HipCityVeg. Everything is pretty healthy yet it tastes so good. I had their massaman tofu wrap and the flavoring was out of this world. Also, their sweet potato fries... to die for. I had their strawberry milkshake as well, which might have been a special because I don't see it on their regular menu, but it tasted like a real milk milkshake. It was so creamy and good you won't be missing out on dairy. This place is a must try. Their is very limited seating but it's totally worth it. I'd eat my food standing up from here if I had to.

Pros: Friendly Staff, excellent food, healthy

Cons: limited seating

Delicious food, friendly service, great location! - Edit

Love this place! Went there 3 days in a row when they opened. The staff is super friendly, always smiling and pleasant. The food comes out quickly and is sooo good!

Yum! - Edit

My husband and I happened to stumble in here from out of town not knowing that the restaurant opened just 3 days before we arrived. The service was so good and the staff so on top of things we never would have realized if we hadn't been told by one of the other customers. We liked it so much that we returned again for dinner the next day.

The food is very creative and flavorful. We particularly recommend the Bistro Bella, Massaman Tofu Wrap, and the Chipotle Fajita Wrap. The sweet potato fries were good with the sriracha aioli - not too spicy! The chocolate milkshake was quite rich, I only finished half. The banana whip was good but may have been better if they would mix a spoonful of peanut butter into the mix.

The only downside is that it was a bit crowded and we had trouble finding seats. Not really a big problem, we just grabbed our food and ate it on the steps of the National Portrait Gallery. In spite of the lines food came out quite quickly.

I hope their next location opens in Boston so I can visit more often!

Pros: Tasty, flavorful food, Superfriendly employees, nice, central location

Cons: Could be hard to find a seat, kind of hard to see the sign if you're walking alo

Vegan, healthful fast food - Edit

Imported not too far from the I-95 corridor, Hip City Veg has arrived in DC to a low key buzz but a full fledged stream of hungry veg*n diners.

Why is this place good? It's easy food - sandwiches and wraps, or get them on greens. Salads and Groothie green smoothie, iced tea and lemonades. So good and healthful.

Everything is vegan, and just about everything can be gluten free, just remove the bread, wrap, chicken or steak, and it's gluten-free for nearly every item that has gluten. They have tofu, but if that's not your thing, ask for a substitute.

Jerk chicken (gluten) is spicy flavor. Massaman *curry* tofu is a rich flavor. Buffalo bella - oh who doesn't want portabella mushrooms? Great choice for a protein base.

Two side salads (Asian and Casear), and a few solid entree salads. My fav has to be arugula-based, and they deliver it here with the arugula taco salad. It's perfectly all arugula for its greens, and is garnished with some corn, black beans, creamy dressing, ¼ of an avocado, 6-7 tortilla chips and pico de gallo. PERFECT.

The other items you need to try: soy ice cream milkshakes. Who doesn't like milk shakes? Well, ok, if you're on a diet or don't like soy, you prob are not into it... But for everyone else, YES! For everyone, though, banana whip! Bananas never had it so good. Frozen and pureed, instant vegan soft serve. Add on chocolate chips, cookie crumbs or brownie pieces.

Simple food, with ingredients that you can feel confident are 100% vegan.

Love it.

Seating is limited: 4 stools by the windows, a short ledge area, and about 5 tables for 2. It's fast though, so order, get your food, and wait to eat in the cafe, or, walk outside to a convenient downtown DC landmark to enjoy your meal.

Prices are fair for downtown DC. You'll be back to try something before you know it.

Pros: 100% vegan, Banana whip, Arugula taco salad

Cons: Chicken has gluten, Steak has gluten, Baked goods have gluten

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has HipCityVeg closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.