Hip Vegan

Contact 805-646-1750

928 E Ojai Ave (at Bryant St, downtown), Ojai, California, USA, 93023

Ojai vegan and organic cafe serving soups, salads, sandwiches, wraps, quiche, raw food, baked and raw desserts, smoothies and date shakes. Much of the menu is gluten free and soy free. Causal setting.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Take-out

First Review by Veganopoly

Great find! - Edit

So happy to have discovered a purely vegan restaurant in Ojai! Food is delicious and obviously high quality; staff is so friendly/genuine that you forgive them if there's a wait or if they're out of stock certain dishes.

Pros: reasonable prices, varied selection, delicious!

Great Vegan Food in Ojai - Edit

We tried this place because it showed up on Happy Cow and were very excited to have found it. It is also great that they have gluten-free options, although if they had GF bread there would be many more. I had the Mexican Salad and it was great. Everything is fresh and the servings are generous. Busy place at lunch, which is a good sign. It was nice to enjoy the good weather by eating out on the side patio.

Pros: Varied Menu, GF Options, Nice People

Cons: No GF bread, Should list contents of dishes

great menu! - Edit

First visit, and I will be back to try a lot more. The Ray's Ruben is delicious and though they warn you it's spicy, it's pretty mild if you've grown up around salsa bars. Outdoor seating is very pleasant. Friendly service. Healthy food choices. What is not to like?

Pros: eclectic menu, friendly service, outdoor patios

The Hip Vegan Makes Me Happy! - Edit

Vegans this place will make you happy, but its hard to find. So I've posted some pictures of their sign that is painted directly on the SIDES of the building in front of it. There is no Hip storefront directly facing the street, its recessed behind another business with a black awning in front of it. If you drive past it, turn around... It's worth it! AND, the sign is peanut much BIGGER on the other side of the building after you turn around.
My husband won't eat here anymore. He thinks the food is too bland. So, I tried it again without him... and I loved it. I'll admit, my second visit was much more delicious than our first visit. I had the Reuben wrapped in Collard Greens with the Italian soup. It came with a small handful of blue tortilla chips and I also ordered a slice of the Cocoa Hemp Cheesecake. Every freshly made item was just delicious. I couldn't even tell you which item I enjoyed most... They were all that good!
However, those on a budget might want to save up a little for this delicious meal because the cost was just under $18 without a beverage for lunch. This cost can be a little high for some folks, but come on this is Ojai... Live a little!
The quaint open-air dining atmosphere in both the front and rear are well maintained. For those who prefer indoor dining, there are also a few tables and chairs inside by the order counter. I've included pictures to help you better envision your dining experience here at the Hip vegan, as well as a quick snapshot of my Reuben sandwich and soup take out box.
Dani took my order with such cheerful grace and charm... and she was every bit as helpful as can be. While I was waiting at the counter to place my order, Dani's sweet disposition on a phone order made me smile. She gives the same open-hearted, delightful service on a phone order as she does with you in person. Never "rushed," but instead filled with patience and good service.
I'm looking forward to my next visit so I can try one of the Hip bowls or the barbecue sandwiches with one of the baked goods displayed on the counter... Check the posted photos for a peek at the baked goodies... They look so appetizing on the counter. Come in and you'll see what I mean.

Organic, fresh, all vegan - Edit

It is nice to find this spot in downtown Ojai. Delicious food with a food raw options as well. Restaurant sells many wraps, soups, some veggie burgers, all organic. Fast service, cute setting with outdoor seating too. The only very small complaint is the two girls who take order to when you get there need to smile a tad more- and be friendly to all (not just people they know).
Chefs/ kitchen staff seems nice. It is a good place and thankful Ojai has this.

Pros: Organic, all vegan, Small place, but nice "energy" and decor, Very tasty!

Cons: Cashiers smile more

Friendly, tasty, smells good - Edit

Visited in summer 2013, we noticed signs on the street for this cute place, a little hidden. Casual lunch menu, we got different kinds of veggie burgers, which were all tasty. Lovely outdoor seating, in a lavender-scented courtyard. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Recommended!

Pros: Pleasant outdoor seating, Tasty food, Friendly staff

Amazing blueberry crisp! - Edit

Last time I was there, it was a new owner & he said they don't make the amazing blueberry crisp too often now, but that i the future I could call ahead for it. It's simply & amazing. The quiche is pretty good. Simple menu of wraps & such. Attractive place. Happy it's all vegan. The couple who originally started it have started vegan restaurants in various cities, then sold them & moved to another area to do it again, which is cool, nice couple. Love the decor with all the succulents.

Pros: all vegan, nice decor/setting, blueberry crisp!

best spot for veg food in ojai - Edit

Hip is like the name, a cool little odd cafe where you enter through a side garden small wooden swing door and meander around the back to a crampt counter where you place your order, take a number and select a seat. There was a great guitar player today as we ate our mediocer food. The date shakes were decent, but I wouldn't order carob again, I couldn't even taste it. The burrito was good, but too garlicy. I ordered a rueben w/o mayo or 1000the island and it had both :( but I'd already taken a large bite... Hip is fine and I hate to be hard on them as I can't imagine Ojai w/o them, I just expected too much.

Pros: live music

Cons: messed up order, needs quality control

Good food and people - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Hip A Vegetarian Joint review.

We made a trip to Ojai in Feb 2012 and had made sure to come here for dinner. It's the only 100% vegan restaurant in Ojai (as of this writing).

The place is located behind a yoga studio. You have to walk through a pebbled yard and past a little garden patio to get inside. It's very simple relaxed with seating inside and out.

The two of us ordered several things to share:
- macro wrap with slices of seitan, seaweed, fresh greens, and saukerkraut all rolled up; served with side of salad (good taste, warm seitan, seaweed salty)
- special of the day shepard's pie (warm and hearty)
- chocolate banana date shake (yummy, sweet)
- fresh pressed green juice (customized choice of veggies)
- raw cheezecake (agave nectar sweetened)

The food presentation is nice, and the taste is healthy and clean. I would definitely recommend Hip.

all vegan - Edit

Love that it's all vegan. Excellent choices, great service and prices. Everything I have had there has been very tasty. Their chai tea is just OK but the food is worth trying a variety of dishes.

Pros: all healthy, tasty vegan, good prices and portions

Cons: wish I could get there more often

Great place , sweet people - Edit

We were visiting Ojhi and wanted a good veggie meal. We found it here.
The only thing I would change is the entrance of the Resturant isn't very clear how to get in but once your there it's great!! Thank God for wonderful little treasures such as this!
What a great rubin! Thanks

Pros: Great food, Nice options

OJAI & A VEGAN RESTAURANT? YES!!!!!!!! - Edit

Opening the gate off the main street in Ojai onto HIP's property is like walking into the 1960s or 1970s; groovy, funky & HIP!!

On their outside dining area, they had an acoustic guitarist singing mellow songs on the Saturday we went.

Owner is very friendly and the food very good. I had the ultimate burger which was tempeh with a BOWL of delish split pea soup and my friend had the bbq burger with a huge absolutely beautiful salad. Seriously good food.

Word of warning: Try not to go during the height of the lunch hour like we did. We waited around 40 minutes for our food, so thankfully the food was superb!! Just a bit pricey for lunch: spent $29 for two people with no drinks.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 08, 2012

Pros: Excellent food, Groovy, Ojai

Healthy excellence - Edit

We eat at Hip regularly and love their food! In fact we will eat lunch and take extra home for lunch the next day!! My current fave is the Ultimate Cheeseburger add avocado add both raw & grilled onions wrapped up in collard greens instead of a bun. Their website is true to their word and you do not want to miss out!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly/honest staff, Peaceful atmosphere

Cons: Need to be closer to my home, My home.

great place for lunch - Edit

the owners are exceptionally kind, and the food was outstanding. I've been here numerous times, and everything I've had on the menu was great. Try the daily quiche, with cornmeal/spelt crust. Awesome.

Pros: great food, full juice bar

Hip Joint - Edit

Hip is a new Organic Vegan restaurant that just opened and is located in downtown Ojai. They offer raw, cooked, and gluten-free meal options: all Vegan. My wife, my self, and a couple of friends of ours had lunch there today. In whole, we were very satisfied with what we ate. They have a raw spirulina dessert that was surprisingly very tasty! I had the Seitan B-B-Q sandwich which was very tasty: the B-B-Q sauce tasted home-made. The salads were generously portioned. And the date shake was delish. Would definitely recommend it.

Pros: Vegan, Organic

Return to Ojai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hip Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4225 times since Jan 2011.