CLOSED: Hin and Veg

Contact 040-59453402

Schulterblatt 16 (West Schanzenviertel), Hamburg, Germany, 20357 Hamburg

Hin & Veg is a Hamburg vegetarian restaurant. Small, mostly take-out with several small tables in the back. Serves typical German and Indian fast foods: veggie bratwurst, veggie curry-wurst, veggie burgers, pizza, pasta and Indian curry dishes, and more. All dishes vegan upon request. Confirmed open as of Sept 2011. OCT 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-12:30am, Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm. Kitchen closes 1 hour before closing time.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Organic, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Petesternz

Better options are close! - Edit

Hin and Veg is a place I might have recommended would it be situated somewhere completely else, but being already at Hamburg Schanze there are so many much better options close which you should consider first. Their food is greasy and fatty, overly filling at first but then a couple of hours later you'll be hungry again. If you are a person who enjoys junk food, you might have a different opinion on their food.

Pros: everything vegetarian, most things vegan

Cons: fatty, greasy, better options very close

Hin n Veg struggling but still in the game! - Edit

The old favourite of vegan Hamburg is not what is was. With the emphasis now seeming to be on vegan options as opposed to all vegan which is a shame cos it's still a joy to be able to walk into a place and know that it's all safe, no stress about animal distress! Anyway this place is still being run by the hard working Asian family thas been here for several years now. It still has loads of vegan fast food options. Quality and healthy may not be the watch words here but tasty and filling will often do and it's not that expensive. Pity they have no pure juices on offer or cakes like they used to do. And they used to have about five different vegan mayo type sauces which no longer seem available :(

Pros: Lots of vegan options, In central St Pauli, Not too expensive

Cons: Not all vegan, No desserts or real juices.

No good food, too expensive, no atmosphere. - Edit

The staff are not particularly friendly or attentive. A simple curry dish with mediocre tofu, a bland salad and rice costs nearly 10 € - far beyond its actual value. I regret having brought my non-vegetarian friends here who now think that vegetarian restaurants aren't very good. The restaurant is seemingly falling apart. Typos on the menu, the lamp shades are broken, it's not very clean, bright or decorated.

Cons: Food, Price, Atmosphere

What you see is what you get - Edit

This place has been around for quite some years now and I still go sometimes. It's in the middle of Schanzenviertel.
Staff has changed after a first period of students running it.

Food is ok. It's junk food, what do you expect? But there are differences:

The Kebab is generally recommendable, as are the burgers and hot dogs. Some of the indian stuff they make is nice, too.

There are certainly better places in town to get pizza (just get one without cheese at any good Italian).

I didn't really like the cake...

Service is usually not that good, mainly because of the mood of the personnel. But you get what you see and you usually get it fast.

Pros: fast vegan food, good kebab, in the middle of Schanze

Cons: service can be grumpy

Not too bad - Edit

I ate at Hin und Veg a few weeks ago, because my friend wanted to have a veggie burger - which he had. I had a vegan pizza, with a yeast melt cheese replacement. I admittedly have not had this somewhat old-school topping for a very long time, but I have to say there's a reason that it's not widely used. The pizza itself was average - a bit bland, the base was more like a thin quiche, regular toppings. Yes, it's all vegetarian, which is a plus. They could use an update of their menu to reflect all the new vegan ... dare I say trends?

Pros: all veg, location

Cons: menu is a bit stuck in time

Good, but not the best - Edit

These guys definitely know what they're doing as all dishes I've tried (gyros plate, vegan kebab, pizza and more) have been good. Staff tends to be a little moody, but you will be served quickly. Relation between the price and the size of your portion is always great, although the menu is not exactly the most innovative one you'll get to see. Worth a visit anyway, especially when you consider the nice location in the heart of Sternschanze and close to St. Pauli.

Pros: Fair prices, Big portions

Cons: Sometimes moody staff, Menu is "too standard"

Really nice burgers - Edit

The Seitan burger patty is much better than any I have ever eaten. There is not much else on the burger but that's OK. The fries were not the best I ever had but at least animal-free. I also had a gyros platter which was very nice (I hate it when Seitan is too wobbly and here they really do the Seitan firm). I had pasta which was overcooked and salad which was leafish. Whenever I come (lunch time, afternoon or Thursday and Friday evening) I always god a seat. The staff is a bit unfriendly but the service is fast.

Pros: Good seitan texture, Fast service

Good and tasty Hamburger, EXCELLENT vegan mayonais - Edit

We had a Cheeseburger and a Chilliburger with fries- they were really good and tasty.
Instead of veggie-patty we had a seitan-patty which tasted really good.
But the best was the mayonnaise! I had to ask the staff to make sure it was actual vegan. The fries were also very good.
Plus we didn't have to wait long to get our dishes.
All in all a really good place for fast/junk food with a really good price-performance-ratio!

Pros: vegan mayonnaise, excellent price-perfomance-ratio, veggie oder seitan patty

Junk food can be better - Edit

Sometimes I really love to eat some junk food. The 'Hin und Veg' has a great variety of different burgers, pizzas, hot dogs, fries and also offers some indian dishes.
I used to go there quite often but unfortunately the quality of the food gets worse and worse. Also the staff is the most unfriendly staff I've ever seen.

I do not go there anymore, I had to many bad experiences with it.

Pros: junk food, variety, located

Cons: staff, quality, atmosphere

Solid - Edit

I've been there last weekend on a short trip to Hamburg. Wasn't that orientated in Hamburg as I haven't been there for years and just wrote down this address because it was near the place where the concert was I've been too. The place was quite crowded when I came in. The stuff wasn't that friendly, they actually didn't talk at all and they weren't in a hurry so it took quite long until I got my food, so you could't call it fast food. I had a burger with fries and the burger was quite good but the fries weren't the best. The prices are fair, I guess. Might be a good place if you want some fast food but I definetely will try another place when I'm in Hamburg the next time.

Pros: fair prices

Cons: unfriendly stuff, long waiting

Vegans have the right to eat unhealthy too - Edit

Because vegan and vegetarian people have the right to eat unhealthy fast food, it was about time for a place like this. I have had all the dishes in a better and veggie way already, but u find all of them here. SO if you are in the area, lookin for classical fast food (burger, pizza, hot dog, curry wurst etc.), go here.

if you look for good and healthy fast food, you should go to Azeitona, which takes you 3min from here. They serve healthy oriental inspired fast food.

When you crave for fast food, it's o.k. to go here. Sometimes the plates are too small (gyros), sometimes they are good. Some dishes are quite fine, some are not good. Figure out yourself. Only when craving fast food. All others go to azeitona, raval or backbord.

Pros: Huge variety of fast food, served fast

Cons: unfriendly staff, some dishes are not good, (sometimes) lack in value for money

St Pauli's Finest - Edit

I loved this place instantly. It's in the fabulously anti-capitalist and slightly anarchistic area of St Pauli on a vibrant and bustling street. Essentially a take out with a huge selection of food such as pizza, burgers, hot dogs, soups and kebabs with a good amount of seating at the side and rear. Hot and cold drinks are served including beers. There is a great feel to Hin & Veg, it's cool and retro with very reasonable prices. Definitely go here when in Hamburg.

Pros: food, staff, relaxed

Disappointing. - Edit

Out of the wide ranged assortment of vegetarian and vegan mostly fast food German and Indian stuff i chose the rice stew with seitan, and it was the worst seitan I ever ate. Besides, it was waaay to expensive, and the service was the most mopish and ill-tempered I experienced for a while. Best for taking out some burgers probably.

Cons: price, service, quality

fastfood galore - Edit

If you're looking for dirty, fat, unhealthy, but ethically sound food, this is the place. The food is not the best I ever had, but, hey, it's cheap, and sometimes you just need to obey to these cravings for bad things.
Only recommended when you really want fast food.

Pros: cheap, fast, food

Cons: burger could be better, atmosphere

vegan fast food - Edit

Here you get vegatarian fast food, nearly everything with vegan option. Pizzas, Burgers etc. My favourite: double cheesburger with pommes ketchup&mayo, vegan. I was one week in Hamburg and I ate everyday here.

Pros: good fast food, nice location, inexpensive

Cons: somewhat slow

good snack place - Edit

The Schanzenviertel neighbourhood in which this restaurant is located is a very lively and laid back area and shouldn't be missed in a visit to Hamburg. Had a veggieburger and potatoes at Hin&Veg. The potatoes were a bit too fatty, but the veggieburger was so good it made me order a second one.

Pros: tasty burgers, nice neighbourhood

Cons: not very healthy, potatoes were not very good

Great Place! - Edit

If you've felt left out of traditional German imbiss style food, this place is the cure. I had currywurst and pommes. They weren't amazing, but I think it was a pretty good reflection of the original. The vegan mango lassi, however, was amazing. I'll go back to try the vegan donner!

Pros: cheap, tasty, fast

Cons: unhealthy, uneven

cheap and cheerful - Edit

I wasn't overly impressed by this cafe, I ate a cheeseburger and fries, neither were "worth writing home about". You can get nicer veggie food in nearby restaurants that serve meat. If you are vegan however, this is the place for you!

Pros: helpful staff, good value, clean

Nice little place! - Edit

i happen to be very often in Hamburg and it's actually my second favorite city in Germony. this fast food place is one of many reasons why. it's situated in one of my favorite quarter at hamburgs "schanze" and just a good dropby if you're going to spend some time parting or whatsoever arround there.
If you're sick of veggie burger, as i'm, try their gyros or the tofu pizza. they also sell veggie cheese and so. don't be rash blaming the staff for not beeing friendly. if you know them some time they are very kind indeed!

Pros: cheap, fast , friendly

Good Fast Food - Edit

Just visited this weekend. This place is what it is. Solid vegan fast food, which means good tasting, and heavy on the stomach. Most things are deepfried, or heavily pan fried in oil. That said, they taste good! What takes it a cut above are the array of sauces (all vegan) that are available to give the burgers and fries a little extra zing. Solid burgers, dogs and a nice curry wurst (no bun, but great sauce).

Return to Hamburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Hin and Veg closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4732 times since Aug 2007.