• Himalayan Kitchen

Beer/Wine
Take-out
Asian
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant offering Indian, Nepali, and Asian dishes. Labeled vegan options including masala papadam, onion bhaji, soups, curries, and more. Please note, the naan is not vegan (contains lactose-free dairy milk). Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-2:30pm, Mon-Sat 4:30pm-9:30pm.

First Review by Drajjz

Kabaylor

Points +16

05 Jul 2023

Something for everyone

With over 20 vegan options… this gem in the black hills should not be missed. The best part is that there are options for everyone. The Chana Masala was very good and the Sindhi biryani was some of the best I have ever had. I would also recommend the Daal Maakhani with a side of Naan.

Pros: Excellent staff, Clean restaurant

Cons: No Vegan Naan available

Finn_

Points +197

16 Jun 2020

So-so

I've been in this building MANY times. It was my favorite childhood Chinese place. Once it became Himalayan kitchen they didn't change from Hunans and I wish it'd never changed.

The food flavor drops and isn't that depth of flavor it typically in within this cuisine. Not to mention the MASSIVE cuts of veggies (not that I'm really complaning about the size but still, a literal tree?)
I don't have a picture as this time I stayed home and ordered pick up which is really really lacking. $15 for veg curry for bland, uninviting meh, with just plain (no [censored]) basmati rice. Just disappointed.

Also I've notice a few reviews about people eating the naan. It is not vegan. They make it with lactose free milk but their brand is not a plant milk. This is still cows milk but reduced lactose to avoid the allergen.

And the worst part is that towards the end of my meal I found a cube of their house made paneer.

Pros: Staff is friendly , Able to explain their milk choices, Knowledgable and attentive

Cons: Expensive for quality and size, Inconsistent in flavor

JulieEA

16 Jun 2020

Hi Finn,

My name is Julie and I'm with HappyCow's editing team. Thanks for your review and for the update about the naan bread not being vegan. Really appreciate your help and hope you have a better experience next time! :)

hambone1985

Points +150

06 Jun 2020

So so

The workers were not knowledgeable at all about the menu. When I asked which items were vegan, one pointed at a lamb dish. I had to keep prying. I chose one that looked vegan to begin with (aloo gobi) and asked the other worker if it had ghee. She said no. It was just so so compared to other aloo gobi I've had The prices were high here.

Mypilotlife

Points +31

Mostly Veg
25 Feb 2020

My new favorite Indian restaurant

This place rocks! They have tons of vegetarian options on the menu. Also many of the dishes can be vegan. Just ask for coconut milk instead of yogurt and no dairy (ghee). For vegans the Aloo Matar with coconut milk is amazing. For vegetarians the paneer tikka masala is my favorite. My family is addicted to their homemade vegetable samosas. The staff is super nice and understanding.

Rongie

Points +650

08 Nov 2019

Hot and Spicy

The interior is very cozy and the staff are very attentive and friendly. They all had a good understanding of "vegan" and were able to help us select dishes. The veg samosas are to die for.

Pros: Cozy

Cons: Pricey but worth it.

stslj01

Points +443

23 Jun 2019

Lots of veggie dishes

They had lots of veggie dishes on the menu and even had a statement saying to just let the waiter know if you don’t want dairy. The portions were huge (at least for the veggie biryani). My husband loved his dish. Mine had excellent flavor but was too spicy for my liking even though I asked for mild.

Pros: Lots of vegetable dishes , Good portion sizes

Jadediana

Points +2523

27 May 2019

Good Food

They have plenty of vegetarian options that you can ask if they are vegan or if they can be made vegan. Staff is attentive and the food is pretty good! Little on the pricier side if you are going for a dinner.

Drajjz

Points +21

22 Sep 2018

Best fresh Vegan meal in Rapid City!

My husband and I are both Vegan and tried this restaurant for the 1st time Sept 15th and had the lunch Buffet. We told our host that we were vegan and he kindly showed us all the vegan options on the buffet, which was half the buffet! He then had nann w/o butter brought to our table to have with our lunch. The menu also has a lot of options for vegans and vegetarians. The staff was very friendly and the food was very delicious. Seasoned very well without heat but they are very willing to cook to order. We will be coming again and again. Our new favorite restaurant in Rapid City.

Pros: Friendly , Knowledgeable , Delicious

Cons: A little pricey but worth it