Himalaya

805-643-0795

35 W Main St, Ventura, California, USA, 93001

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has a lot of vegan options. Try the tofu saag. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, 5:00pm-9:30pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Asian Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by gandjwhite

A local favorite! - Edit

I eat here somewhat regularly. Located in The Mission shopping center, Himalaya is my primary reason for even knowing this shopping center exists.

Several veg options available. Everything I've eaten has been enjoyable. Some truly fantastic. Most recently had a curry platter that was simply divine. You can also adjust your spice level to your liking. Be sure to indicate if you are vegan, however. One version of the naan has butter.

My service has also been consistently very fast and friendly. Totally appropriate place for a date, a family meal, or friends night out. I often go alone, because it's that's good.

Himalaya has also recently expanded with an outdoor patio, so even more seating options are available, though I have never had to wait for a table.

Pros: Tasty, Lots of options, Plenty of seating

Cons: Not entirely vegetarian/vegan

Great service and food. - Edit

Easy pointed out vegan menu. Great lunch offers. My favorite local Indian house!

One dish wonder... - Edit

This was one of the first restaurants we tried when we first moved here to Ventura. I had the Madras Curry. It has a coconut curry sauce with potato and some other veggies over rice. It was amazing! It was so good, in fact, that my wife stopped eating what she ordered and kept trying to take mine. It was so good I wouldn't let her. So, we had to go again so we could both order it. The second time we went, the dish wasn't quite the same as we remembered it. But, we found that if we added a moderate amount of the Himalayan salt that's on the table, it started tasting more and more like we remembered. So, apparently the chef is inconsistent in how much salt he adds to the dish each time. That would be one of my complaints because I want it the same each time. My other complaint would be that it's a little more expensive than I would prefer. I think that dish was $10. I would expect to pay maybe $8. That would prevent us from being regulars there. However, with those rather minor complaints, I must say that curry dish is really, really good when it's done just right! I can't confirm whether this dish is vegan or not. Sometimes Indian dishes have cream and this one may or may not. I didn't ask. So, you may want to double check. The only other dish we tried was what my wife had the first time (Saag Tofu). It was kind of dry--not that great.

Pros: Madras Curry, Atmosphere, They offer a coupon on Restaurant.com

Cons: Slightly pricey, somewhat inconsistent, questionable whether vegan

Return to Ventura Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Himalaya closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.