First Review by rccourtney

peanut momos and jackfruit curry - Edit

This restaurant is not afraid to use meat substitutes like seitan, jackfruit, ground peanut "meat" and tofu. We got a soup and a curry dish. The rice was on POINT which Is definitely something to be proud of. The curry was good, but the plate was about a 1/2 cup of curry, and a cup of rice. The soup was probably about 2 cups of under seasoned broth that really was just spicy with cabbage and broccoli. The momocha was really sour. I am Nepali so I guess I have really high Nepali food standards. I would say for $30 I would never go back there again. The soup was not worth more than $6 but I paid twice that. Everything was too lemony and on top of that the server did not seem stoked to be serving us at all for whatever reason.

Pros: jackfruit, tofu, seitan and peanut substitutes, extensive vegetarian options

Cons: under seasoned soup , way too expensive , underwhelming service

Great place for vegans - Edit

The staff of this restaurant were thoroughly versed in vegan and gluten-free diets. The menu labels vegan options and our server was able to answer all our questions about ingredients. They have some really unique and delicious options, such as curried jackfruit.

One caution: when they say hot, they really, really mean hot. Their heat range goes well beyond what one might normally encounter in foods served to Westerners who aren't used to seriously hot food. One of our party, who loves of very spicy food, was unable to finish his food because it was so hot.

Pros: Diverse menu options, Friendly staff, Moderately priced

Cons: "Hot" here is much hotter than at other restaurant

Delicious Nepalese Food - Edit

This was my first time experiencing Nepalese food and it was insanely good! I had the Veggie Momocha, Katahar Kabob, and Quati. Each were a delight to eat and share. Wish we had good Nepalese food in Chicago!

Pros: vegan-friendly, huge vegetarian section , quick service

Cons: pricey, vegan dishes not marked

Simple, Peaceful, Delicious - Edit

This small restaurant is one of the most popular on State St in Madison WI. All the menu choices are as diverse as the patrons who eat at Himal Chuli. Whether you live here and have not been to HC, or if you come for a visit to Madison, I highly recommend HC for its delicious and distinct menu selection. My favorite menu item is - Vegetable Dumplings accompanied by a side of rice, a cup of dal, and a piece of warm roti bread - all filling and very comforting.

Pros: Diverse Menu, Friendly service, Easy on the eyes atmosphere

Cons: When uber busy service is a bit slow

Finally good Vegan - Edit

We really wanted good vegan food and we had worked our way through many over-raved Madison places only to find the meal of our dreams over there on State Street. We'd read warnings about the high prices so we stuck to the simple Tarkari dishes. They let us have a half and half option of the specials of the day, so we had our rice and two different tastes. It really hit the spot. We will be back.

Pros: great food, quaint atmosphere, warm staff

Cons: Cash only, No receipt, On a business trip

Tasty Nepalese Food - Edit

My husband and I really enjoyed our dinner at Himal Chuli. They have many options for vegans on the menu, including tofu, seitan, and jackfruit dishes. I had the seitan buff w/dahl and brown rice. It was all very tasty, especially the seitan. The flavor was really good, lighter than Indian food and a bit lemony.
My husband had the jackfruit based katahar kebab which was also quite good.
The special tarkaris of the day both sounded very good as well; we had a hard time deciding what to order.
My only complaint was the price. Our dishes were both $15-16, and the portions were not all that large (plenty for one person, but they couldn't really be split, as I thought would be the case at that price). I feel that this type of dish should fall into the $10-12 range.
That being said, I would definitely consider going back if I returned to Madison.

Pros: Good vegetarian selection, Tasty Food, Nice location

Cons: Price, Crowded

Tasty but on the pricey side for a casual meal - Edit

Never one to turn down jackfruit when it's an option, I had a salad and roti with the Katahar Kabob. In it jackfruit is marinated with a blend of spices and sautéed with onions, tomatoes, and cilantro. The dish had wonderfully fragrant and complex spices. It tasted delicious; although, it was on the oily side.

My husband had a salad and rice with the seitan buff, which included big chunks of seitan stir-fried with onions, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, and green peppers in Mediterranean spices. The dish was savory, rich, and very filling. While I thought the lunch was very tasty, my main complaint would be the price. At around $16/per plate, I thought it was unusually expensive for what it was.

Pros: interesting and unusual, outdoor seating, good portion sizes

Cons: Pricey for lunch

Healthy and cozy - Edit

Reputedly the first Nepalese restaurant in the US. Opened in 1985. Excellent traditional vegetarian and vegan options their specialty. Generally Indian-style cuisine. Daily tarkari specials. Brown rice available. Small, cozy space, which can fill up on busy weekend evenings and lunchtime, in popular State Street shopping area between UW campus and state Capitol building.

Great vegetarian place! - Edit

This is my favorite restaurant in Madison. Most entrees are 10-14$. All of the veg food is cooked on separate utensils and pans since the owners are vegetarians as well. Great vegetarian menu which is larger than the meat section of the menu. Potatoes, onions, tomoatoes, seasonal produce ,seitan and tofu are the main ingredients in the dishes as well as spices.
I love this place.

Pros: Large veg menu, veg food cooked on seperate pans, amazing food

Cons: wish it was cheaper

Return to Madison Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Himal Chuli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2329 times since May 2008.