Highline Bar

206-328-7837

210 Broadway East (at Capitol Hill), Seattle, Washington, USA, 98102

Operated by owners of the now defunct Squid & Ink, this is a vegan pub offering cocktails and local brews. March 2014 re-opened its kitchen. Try the vegan cake. Open Tue-Sun 5:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine

First Review by Ultraviolet

Cool establishment - Edit

Rock and roll and vegan food! What a great combo. I love the metal atmosphere and the band names for the names of the food. I had the Bell Toll and it was delicious.

Pros: Heavy Metal!

Amazing Vegan Yummies - Edit

The food was beyond amazing, service was great, and the drinks are strong.

Pleasantly Surprised! - Edit

Probably would not have found this place had it not been late at night and one of the only vegan options close by that was open. My boyfriend and I absolutely loved the metal atmosphere, decor, and music. The staff was nice and helpful. I got the BLT which was so amazing and even though I'm only in Seattle for a short time I plan to return to try more of their delicious food!! Highly recommend! Hail seitan!

truly a vegan pub!! - Edit

Okay, yah, it's dark inside even on the sunniest days, but there is an outside patio area where you can watch Broadway street go by, and it's truly vegan!!! Good cold beer and a vegan Rueban sandwich with fries...hello, Heaven.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-03

Pros: All vegan!, outdoor seating if it's too dark or loud inside, Delicious food

Cons: Dark inside- but it's a metal bar, so- yah!

Loved it - Edit

Great food and amazing choice in music. Also really loved the names of the food and drinks.

Good late night food - Edit

Great spot if you're hungry late as they're open till 11. They severe beer and infused drinks which I like with my food. Very tasty just not sure as to the ingredient quality as it wasn't specified. Oh and you have to be okay with metal/punk music and the crowd that comes with it.

Yummy Vegan Comfort Food - Edit

Hard Rock Bar with amazing vegan comfort food. My faves are the Citizen Fish Sandwich; The Bell Tolls (Philly); and the Pig Destroyer ( BBQ "pork"); the salads with vegan Green Goddess are amazing, good vegan nachos, yummy tacos; and every special is incredible!! Have an AHAB to drink!!!!

Pros: Great Comfort Food, Pleasant Staff, Good location

Cons: It can be loud....

OMG!! - Edit

This place is great. It is a bar. Dark, and it looks like it would get quite wild at night (but it is clean and friendly). But if you go for an early dinner at 5 or 6, you won't be disappointed. Great beer selection, and a large, wonderful menu of all vegan food. We had very friendly service, and the wait was about the right amount of time considering everything is made to order. It was a bit hard to find. It is upstairs over a (now) closed storefront and the stairs leading up look like they don't go to anything.

Pros: All vegan, Lots of Choices, Beer

Cons: A little dark inside

Interesting... - Edit

This place was hard to find because for some reason when I hit "directions" on the Happy Cow app, it directed me to an intersection 4 blocks away. The bar is situated upstairs on the east side of the street. Also I wasn't prepared for this to be a fairly hardcore kind of place. Lots of metal music and a metal show scheduled for later in the evening. Food is served only certain days of the week. They have an interesting stay of infused liquors and a drink menu that includes a sub heading "trouble". The best thing about this place is the balcony, overlooking Broadway with lots of interesting people watching. The service was friendly though. A good stop, if you are into this sort of thing.

Pros: Infused Liquor, Balcony, Friendly Service

Cons: Questionable Music, Hard To Find

Horrible - Edit

The service is slow and terrible. The staff can't be bothered to hustle, be pleasant, or apparently shower. The decor is nonexistent; just a hideous, black hole of doom. The food is completely unimaginative like stuff you'd make in your twenties when poor and stoned. It comes out cold and ugly. This place gives vegans and vegan food a bad name.

Pros: None

Cons: Staff, Ambiance, Food

Best Vegan Food in Rain City! - Edit

I lived in Seattle a couple years ago and this was one of my fav spots. Actually ranked #1 as I still hit it up every time I'm back in town and I'm as blown away as the first time. This place is just amazing. I've had pretty much everything on the menu and was never disappointed. The portions are always generous and filling. Which is always a plus for me. It's super affordable and has a nice vibe to it. Sometimes there's trivia night, cake-a-roke (vegan cake and karaoke) night, all you can eat biscuits and gravy brunch or any variety of punk/hardcore/metal bands playing shows. All in all this place is a gem and you should eat there.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Nice Vibe

An awesome punk rock bar with yummy food! - Edit

The first thing you need to know about Highline is that it is a BAR. A pub. A lounge. A venue. Also a restaurant, but that doesn't automatically mean you can bring your children in here. It is NOT a family restaurant. IT IS A REALLY COOL BAR.

The second thing you need to know is that it isn't a dive bar. Not to say that dive bars are bad in any way. I love dive bars, but bars with granite counter tops don't qualify as dive bars in my book, that's just me.

The third thing I've read in reviews and found untrue, was that it's in a trashy neighborhood? Umm? It's right on Broadway, in Capitol Hill. Do you think that's a bad neighborhood, because I don't. Yes, it's directly upstairs from a store that sells lingerie and adult toys, but it's actually a very nice adult store, with a thoughtful layout and professional staff!

So on to the good stuff...

They have delicious food, and it's all vegan, though most of it wouldn't be considered health food. There are a few salads on the menu (which I have yet to try!), but what they do exquisitely well is bar food. (Because...wait...) For example, they have vegan fish and chips! Seriously amazing.

The first time we went, I had the THE PELE wrap $8 / Maple teriyaki tempeh with pineapple, spinach, cabbage, red onions, miso-sriracha aioli, which as you can imagine was absolutely awesome.

We also shared the pickle chips, which have become Thomas' new favorite food. They come served with ranch dressing. They kick butt.

Another time we split the SATAN FINGERS with buffalo sauce, and they were fantastic. I've had the nachos too, and everything we've had has been great.

Highline doesn't just pour reasonably priced cold beers, they also have a large list of house infused liquors and signature drinks. I'm a big fan of the ginger infused bourbon.Yum!

Granite aside, it's a pretty punk rock place, which we love. A lot of the staff is in, or tours with bands, and you'll find lots and lots of ink, piercings and dreads on both the help, as well as the customers, so if you have a problem with that, don't go. They have also recently remedied the bathroom situation! :)

Lots of activities too like all-you-can-eat spaghetti night with movies, CAKEAROKE (karaoke with vegan cake), trivia night, industrial events, and BRUNCH on Saturday & Sunday.

In case you couldn't tell, we're going to take everyone who comes to visit us here.

You can read my full review with pictures @ http://cameraphonevegan.com/2013/01/27/highline-seattle-wa/

Pros: food, ginger bourbon, atmosphere

Best Vegan Joint Around! - Edit

I cannot love this place more! Pretty much my favorite spot and really the best in Capitol Hill. The bartenders know there stuff and are really nice (you may be required to have kick-ass dreads to work here). The atmosphere is an awesome anarchist-ish, punk-scene, dark bar--fantastic! However, while it doesn't bug me, you may want the more squeamish in your party to go the bathroom BEFORE they walk up. Many of my friends have complained. The Pele is an awesome choice! And go for Poutine if the mood strikes you for some French Canadianness!

Oh, and its a rock n' roll bar! Loud as hell, but that is to be expected!

Try their white russians and bloody marys for drnks! Yum!

Pros: GREAT FOOD, Great drinks, BEST ATMOSPHERE!

Cons: You feel insecure not having dreads, Tattoos are almost required.

Not for Families - Dive Bar with Average Food - Edit

After utilizing Happy Cow on many, many occasions, I felt compelled to finally write a review after my experience at the Highline.

First of all, I did not do my research well and brought my family to this dive in a skeezy neighborhood...shame on me. After that? The faux-punk, glassy eyed bartender took my carry-out order and needed my help to total the order. As he was taking the order to the back, I asked about how long it would take to prepare the food, since I wasn't thrilled about having my family in this neighborhood. The bartender's demeanor turned stern, and he informed me that since there weren't any other orders, it "wouldn't be long." Five tables of people were seated or ordered after I placed my order, and all of them received their food first. Whether it was because I had the audacity to ask a reasonable question or wear a Penguin brand shirt into this establishment, the delay was a pretty clear message that I wasn't welcome.

So, awful atmosphere staffed by an rude bartender (and a friendly guy with dreads almost to the floor)...on to the food. The "famous" sweet potato fries were average, the fried pickle chips tasted ok but were soggy from the carry out container, the Tempeh-Lettuce-Tomato (TLT) sandwich was good, and the Teriyaki "Nugs" were delicious candy-like morsels. We also got an orzo pasta dish that was awful; it is worth repeating...awful. Stick with the bar food if you are brave enough to enter this dive.

Pros: All Vegan Food, Teriyaki Nugs

Cons: atmosphere/rude bartender, overall food quality, not for families

disappointing - Edit

All those star and pictures does not reflect the place. The food is just not that good and it is a dive. A friend had a good sandwich but while I was waiting for my food the cashier, their is no waiter was eating. They need to fire the manager and cook, hire a chef and improve their menu of some edgy vegan comfort food and this place could be a pretty hip place to go. [edit by staff]

Contributions +18

Punkrock! - Edit

I love this place. Never goes wrong for a drink. Awesome infused liquors and good dark cider. The food really depends who is cooking it can go sligtly wrong. The "fish"sandwich is my favourite. Has good shows once in a while as well. Service is terrible but just cause their system is really dumb.

Pros: Bar food that will fill you up

Cons: Service

Super Yum - Edit

This place has seriously hearty, filling food, and good drinks. I loved everything I have ever had here. My only complaint is the service. Once night the server brought us the wrong order, and then forgot about us, and we had to remind him to bring us the right order. I think he was stoned. Anyways, the food and atmosphere makes up for it!

Pros: Price, great food, fun atmosphere

Cons: service

Highline - Edit

I too have been let down by the food at Highline and feel that the food just fell short. I ordered the Philly with potato salad and really thought the potato salad was the best part of the meal. The seitan had a strange flavor and the au jus that came with the sandwich didn't mix very well - I decided not to dip my sandwich in it. I'd probably never order the Philly again, but would surely go back for the potato salad. Also, this restaurant is in an interesting location, it's above an adult toy store and right next to a medicinal marijuana store - the restaurant itself is pretty punk rock too.

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Highline Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.