Highline Bar

Contact 206-328-7837

210 Broadway East (at Capitol Hill), Seattle, Washington, USA, 98102

Operated by owners of the now defunct Squid & Ink, this is a vegan pub offering cocktails and local brews. March 2014 re-opened its kitchen. Try the vegan cake. Tue-Sun 5:00pm-11:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine

First Review by Ultraviolet

truly a vegan pub!! - Edit

Okay, yah, it's dark inside even on the sunniest days, but there is an outside patio area where you can watch Broadway street go by, and it's truly vegan!!! Good cold beer and a vegan Rueban sandwich with fries...hello, Heaven. I thought you'd be well-lit, but c'est la vie.

Good late night food - Edit

Great spot if you're hungry late as they're open till 11. They severe beer and infused drinks which I like with my food. Very tasty just not sure as to the ingredient quality as it wasn't specified. Oh and you have to be okay with metal/punk music and the crowd that comes with it.

Yummy Vegan Comfort Food - Edit

Hard Rock Bar with amazing vegan comfort food. My faves are the Citizen Fish Sandwich; The Bell Tolls (Philly); and the Pig Destroyer ( BBQ "pork"); the salads with vegan Green Goddess are amazing, good vegan nachos, yummy tacos; and every special is incredible!! Have an AHAB to drink!!!!

Pros: Great Comfort Food, Pleasant Staff, Good location

Cons: It can be loud....

OMG!! - Edit

This place is great. It is a bar. Dark, and it looks like it would get quite wild at night (but it is clean and friendly). But if you go for an early dinner at 5 or 6, you won't be disappointed. Great beer selection, and a large, wonderful menu of all vegan food. We had very friendly service, and the wait was about the right amount of time considering everything is made to order. It was a bit hard to find. It is upstairs over a (now) closed storefront and the stairs leading up look like they don't go to anything.

Pros: All vegan, Lots of Choices, Beer

Cons: A little dark inside

Interesting... - Edit

This place was hard to find because for some reason when I hit "directions" on the Happy Cow app, it directed me to an intersection 4 blocks away. The bar is situated upstairs on the east side of the street. Also I wasn't prepared for this to be a fairly hardcore kind of place. Lots of metal music and a metal show scheduled for later in the evening. Food is served only certain days of the week. They have an interesting stay of infused liquors and a drink menu that includes a sub heading "trouble". The best thing about this place is the balcony, overlooking Broadway with lots of interesting people watching. The service was friendly though. A good stop, if you are into this sort of thing.

Pros: Infused Liquor, Balcony, Friendly Service

Cons: Questionable Music, Hard To Find

Horrible - Edit

The service is slow and terrible. The staff can't be bothered to hustle, be pleasant, or apparently shower. The decor is nonexistent; just a hideous, black hole of doom. The food is completely unimaginative like stuff you'd make in your twenties when poor and stoned. It comes out cold and ugly. This place gives vegans and vegan food a bad name.

Pros: None

Cons: Staff, Ambiance, Food

Best Vegan Food in Rain City! - Edit

I lived in Seattle a couple years ago and this was one of my fav spots. Actually ranked #1 as I still hit it up every time I'm back in town and I'm as blown away as the first time. This place is just amazing. I've had pretty much everything on the menu and was never disappointed. The portions are always generous and filling. Which is always a plus for me. It's super affordable and has a nice vibe to it. Sometimes there's trivia night, cake-a-roke (vegan cake and karaoke) night, all you can eat biscuits and gravy brunch or any variety of punk/hardcore/metal bands playing shows. All in all this place is a gem and you should eat there.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Nice Vibe

An awesome punk rock bar with yummy food! - Edit

The first thing you need to know about Highline is that it is a BAR. A pub. A lounge. A venue. Also a restaurant, but that doesn't automatically mean you can bring your children in here. It is NOT a family restaurant. IT IS A REALLY COOL BAR.

The second thing you need to know is that it isn't a dive bar. Not to say that dive bars are bad in any way. I love dive bars, but bars with granite counter tops don't qualify as dive bars in my book, that's just me.

The third thing I've read in reviews and found untrue, was that it's in a trashy neighborhood? Umm? It's right on Broadway, in Capitol Hill. Do you think that's a bad neighborhood, because I don't. Yes, it's directly upstairs from a store that sells lingerie and adult toys, but it's actually a very nice adult store, with a thoughtful layout and professional staff!

So on to the good stuff...

They have delicious food, and it's all vegan, though most of it wouldn't be considered health food. There are a few salads on the menu (which I have yet to try!), but what they do exquisitely well is bar food. (Because...wait...) For example, they have vegan fish and chips! Seriously amazing.

The first time we went, I had the THE PELE wrap $8 / Maple teriyaki tempeh with pineapple, spinach, cabbage, red onions, miso-sriracha aioli, which as you can imagine was absolutely awesome.

We also shared the pickle chips, which have become Thomas' new favorite food. They come served with ranch dressing. They kick butt.

Another time we split the SATAN FINGERS with buffalo sauce, and they were fantastic. I've had the nachos too, and everything we've had has been great.

Highline doesn't just pour reasonably priced cold beers, they also have a large list of house infused liquors and signature drinks. I'm a big fan of the ginger infused bourbon.Yum!

Granite aside, it's a pretty punk rock place, which we love. A lot of the staff is in, or tours with bands, and you'll find lots and lots of ink, piercings and dreads on both the help, as well as the customers, so if you have a problem with that, don't go. They have also recently remedied the bathroom situation! :)

Lots of activities too like all-you-can-eat spaghetti night with movies, CAKEAROKE (karaoke with vegan cake), trivia night, industrial events, and BRUNCH on Saturday & Sunday.

In case you couldn't tell, we're going to take everyone who comes to visit us here.

You can read my full review with pictures @ http://cameraphonevegan.com/2013/01/27/highline-seattle-wa/

Pros: food, ginger bourbon, atmosphere

Best Vegan Joint Around! - Edit

I cannot love this place more! Pretty much my favorite spot and really the best in Capitol Hill. The bartenders know there stuff and are really nice (you may be required to have kick-ass dreads to work here). The atmosphere is an awesome anarchist-ish, punk-scene, dark bar--fantastic! However, while it doesn't bug me, you may want the more squeamish in your party to go the bathroom BEFORE they walk up. Many of my friends have complained. The Pele is an awesome choice! And go for Poutine if the mood strikes you for some French Canadianness!

Oh, and its a rock n' roll bar! Loud as hell, but that is to be expected!

Try their white russians and bloody marys for drnks! Yum!

Cons: You feel insecure not having dreads, Tattoos are almost required.

Not for Families - Dive Bar with Average Food - Edit

After utilizing Happy Cow on many, many occasions, I felt compelled to finally write a review after my experience at the Highline.

First of all, I did not do my research well and brought my family to this dive in a skeezy neighborhood...shame on me. After that? The faux-punk, glassy eyed bartender took my carry-out order and needed my help to total the order. As he was taking the order to the back, I asked about how long it would take to prepare the food, since I wasn't thrilled about having my family in this neighborhood. The bartender's demeanor turned stern, and he informed me that since there weren't any other orders, it "wouldn't be long." Five tables of people were seated or ordered after I placed my order, and all of them received their food first. Whether it was because I had the audacity to ask a reasonable question or wear a Penguin brand shirt into this establishment, the delay was a pretty clear message that I wasn't welcome.

So, awful atmosphere staffed by an rude bartender (and a friendly guy with dreads almost to the floor)...on to the food. The "famous" sweet potato fries were average, the fried pickle chips tasted ok but were soggy from the carry out container, the Tempeh-Lettuce-Tomato (TLT) sandwich was good, and the Teriyaki "Nugs" were delicious candy-like morsels. We also got an orzo pasta dish that was awful; it is worth repeating...awful. Stick with the bar food if you are brave enough to enter this dive.

Pros: All Vegan Food, Teriyaki Nugs

Cons: atmosphere/rude bartender, overall food quality, not for families

disappointing - Edit

All those star and pictures does not reflect the place. The food is just not that good and it is a dive. A friend had a good sandwich but while I was waiting for my food the cashier, their is no waiter was eating. They need to fire the manager and cook, hire a chef and improve their menu of some edgy vegan comfort food and this place could be a pretty hip place to go. [edit by staff]

Contributions +18

Punkrock! - Edit

I love this place. Never goes wrong for a drink. Awesome infused liquors and good dark cider. The food really depends who is cooking it can go sligtly wrong. The "fish"sandwich is my favourite. Has good shows once in a while as well. Service is terrible but just cause their system is really dumb.

Pros: Bar food that will fill you up

Cons: Service

Super Yum - Edit

This place has seriously hearty, filling food, and good drinks. I loved everything I have ever had here. My only complaint is the service. Once night the server brought us the wrong order, and then forgot about us, and we had to remind him to bring us the right order. I think he was stoned. Anyways, the food and atmosphere makes up for it!

Pros: Price, great food, fun atmosphere

Cons: service

Highline - Edit

I too have been let down by the food at Highline and feel that the food just fell short. I ordered the Philly with potato salad and really thought the potato salad was the best part of the meal. The seitan had a strange flavor and the au jus that came with the sandwich didn't mix very well - I decided not to dip my sandwich in it. I'd probably never order the Philly again, but would surely go back for the potato salad. Also, this restaurant is in an interesting location, it's above an adult toy store and right next to a medicinal marijuana store - the restaurant itself is pretty punk rock too.

Maybe for drinks, but not dinner - Edit

We really wanted to be excited about this place, butt he food simply fell short. We got the poutine per suggestions below, which was fries for $8, w some gravy and odd fake chz. Fries were good but too spendy. The philly was confused in that it also had the french dip with it. It was actually pretty good. The other meal for my date was not too good, forgettable, literally.

I know for sure the drinks were good. My date downed hers. The beer selection was good, I got suckered into buying a more expensive IPA when asking about another. At the time I didn't care, but felt like a sap for spending more on some gimmick. Beer should be the same regardless of alc%.
The air hockey table lacks air. It is dead with a few spots of air. They had a band in the house doing a sound check. Brutal. Punk Henry VIII.

I would go back for drinks if I ate already, or if I wasn't expecting much. I would not go back on Fri's if they have bands playing, it was loud and not talented.

It is on the 2nd floor, accessible outside.

Pros: All vegan , nice folks, menu options; drinks

Cons: no air in air hockey table, few overexpensive duds, just ok; too loud bad music

This was easily our favourite place to eat when we visited Seattle. Probably not the best place to go if you dislike alternative music, but the pub-grub menu was surprisingly good, the music excellent, the staff super-friendly (with the longest dreadlocks you'll ever see) and we loved their home-infused spirits. I enjoyed an orange-vanilla bourbon whilst my bro struggled to finish a spicy habenero tequila. We only meant to stay for dinner; we stayed the duration. LOVED the vintage photobooth too! x

Pros: great music, great food, cheap as chips

Cons: alternative-centric (great for us!)

just glorious! - Edit

i miss the brunch from the squid and ink menu but i don't miss the commute to georgetown. highline is easy to get to and is great to grab a meal or a beer. it has soup and salad if you want light food and it has gnarly bar food like vegan nachos!!! i've been in seattle visiting for 3 days. i've been there twice and i'll probably go tomorrow too.

Pros: cheap food and drinks, vegan nachos, good specials

Cons: loud music?

Seattle's Vegan Bar is Great - Edit

The only things I don't like about this place is that it is not within walking distance from where I live and that the bar-tenders when ever I go tend to be guys other then that, this place is wonderful. The food is solid bar food, a winner for vegans and non vegans alike, they have specials all the time that are fun and interesting. If you are a vegan and you drink and are in Seattle this is the place to be. Fly the tats, get a drink, have some food, flirt with cute strangers, knock yourself out.

Pros: location, price, drinks/food

A triumph! - Edit

This is a gem of a place!

On a recent 2 week trip to Seattle I went a total of 5 times to Highline.

The atmosphere is vibrant, friendly and authentic. It was also good to see it quite busy during the evening.

Weekend brunch was fantastic but the portions are quite generous so less is more when ordering on an empty stomach! One of the best tofu scrambles I've ever tasted!

Dinner is extensive and delicious. The sandwiches brim with flavour which oozes out the sides as you take a big bite.

There is a good selection of beers, cocktails and sodas and they seem to have a good rotating resident art exhibition to keep you entertained.

If you want great food, a vibrant atmosphere and a real sense of community, Highline is definitely for you. I really can't wait till my next trip to try their legendary Cake-e-oke!

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Great value

A Winner Is Seattle - Edit

A place in the city that serves vegan Poutine, is open past midnight, and has free air hockey? Yes please. We've been here about four times since they've opened and even after ordering something different the menu never really seems to disappoint. The Reubender had the perfect seitan texture, not too crispy but not rubbery like most store bought, and just the right amount of sauerkraut. The Garboose, while have a bit of a chickpea aftertaste, has a distinct "chicken salad" texture that was surprisingly good. Buffalo Nuggs are a little heavy on the sauce, but good texture, and the potato skins are loaded in just the right way. No desserts, but it's pub food (they are a bar after all) and they're open late, so I can't really complain about that. In terms of the brews available, I've not tried the cocktails, but I had two Spire Mountain ciders (on tap here) with my meal last visit, and it was the perfect accompaniment; not too dry but not too sweet, and didn't leave me feeling heavy afterwords.

One complaint: the music. I don't mind the occasional metal track, and I realize it's kind of a thing they're going for, but once in a while, it'd be nice to have a conversation and a drink without dude rock blaring in the background.

Otherwise, balcony seating is nice if you can get it. Website is still pretty barebones. They're still pretty new, so not everything is quite sorted out yet, but they've pulled us in a few times already, and that's saying something.

Pros: Vegan Pub!, Food, Open Til 2 a.m.

Cons: Music, Website

2 Responses

Quick visit to scope it out! - Edit

My boyfriend and I were visiting Seattle and trying to hit as many veg places as we could in about 2 days so we popped in here for a beer but were already too stuffed from another place to try any of their food. The beer was nice and cold, and the people watching was fascinating (lots of people with dreadlocks were there plus it is upstairs and overlooks the busy street below). The menu looked great and pretty extensive but no desserts were listed and when we asked, we were told they have vegan dessert one night a week? That seemed very odd to us. An all vegan place with an extensive menu should certainly offer dessert every day right? : ) It's hard to give this an accurate rating without tasting the food so I have to go with 3 cows, but I felt like someone should write a review because there weren't any. We also had a hard time finding this place because the map was locating it too far south on Broadway. We were unable to call them because there was no answer and their voicemail box was full. Their website needs a lot more information!

Pros: open windows on nice days, beer, all vegan menu

Cons: no desserts, website

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Highline Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7914 times since Jul 2010.